IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Ken Coles
4/10/10, 2:00 PM   #1
Ken Coles
Ricks Pics

I just got a phone call from Ken's son, Larry, that Ken passed away this morning. Ken was a long time midget, sprint, champ car & Indy car photographer with his career spanning 50+ years. He was inducted in the Michigan Auto Racing Hall of Fame along with being inducted in the National Sprint Car Hall of Fame. There will be no service at Ken's request, but Larry thought there would be a memorial sometime soon for Ken's many friends. Ken set a standard that many aspire to. Rest in peace old friend.
Last edited by Ricks Pics; 4/10/10 at 2:05 PM.

4/10/10, 2:10 PM   #2
Re: Ken Coles
Bruce Harrison

So very sorry to hear that, Ken was a true artist and a first-class individual. RIP Ken

4/10/10, 2:16 PM   #3
Supermod
Inactive Member

Ken was one of the giants, he will be truly missed. RIP friend,

later,

Bob Mays

4/10/10, 2:21 PM   #4
STIDA.com

Race Count This Year: 9

Very sad news....I have a few pictures hangin in my house from him.... RIP.......

4/10/10, 2:27 PM   #5
racerdog45

very sad, I have a few of his photos that he did the ink deal with and have them hanging in my office RIP

4/10/10, 2:38 PM   #6
Vertigo

I have a Jackie Howerton picture he hand colored.

4/10/10, 3:08 PM   #7
SprintManDave

Very sorry to hear of Ken's passing.He was a great photographer and a friend from my old HARF days,and I have many of his photos in my collection.R.I.P.Ken.

4/10/10, 3:49 PM   #8
racephoto1

I"ve known Ken 35 years. I was a thorn in his side as a youngster at times, but he was always gracious to me back then. As I grew older, he taught me a lot about photography, and how decent someone can be to people .

As for being a photographer, he was in the rare air of the likes of Chini, Mahoney, Crucean, and Gladback. Anyone can pick up a camera, but really knowing what to do with it takes an artist , he was. With his passing, there are very few left. God Speed Ken, you won't be forgotten.

2 members like this post: Bruce Harrison
4/11/10, 2:20 AM   #9
ColoradoFan

R.I.P. old friend you will be missed. Truly sad news to learn of Kenny's passing. I spent many races side by side with him shooting pictures and am fortunate to own some of his outstanding work. His hand painted photos were works of art and have become things to be cherished.
My condolences to Larry and the family.

Vern Plotts

4/11/10, 8:29 AM   #10
grumpy racer

This is very sad news I met Ken at Indy in early 90's. He did a a couple pictures for me what a great guy RIP my freind.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Ken Coles