IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Article on Darland's new ride
2/2/10, 9:34 PM   #1
Article on Darland's new ride
B-square

by Brett Bowman

Kokomo Tribune Racing Columnist

Lincoln (Ind.) sprint car standout Dave Darland, who just weeks ago was searching for a ride to pursue his bid for a second USAC Amsoil National Sprint Car title of his career and fifth overall USAC national series championship (two Mopar Midget and one K&N Silver Crown), landed a coveted ride with Keith Kunz Motorsports, replacing Cole Whitt.
The catch in the deal is that Darland will get the opportunity to chase his third national title in the midget series as well as he will get the opportunity to pilot one of Kunz always-capable midgets.
This isn’t the first pairing of Darland and Kunz. The duo have competed together twice before including Darland’s quest for the Mopar Million at the Eldora Speedway.
“I really feel pretty confident heading into the season,” said Darland last week after announcing the pairing. “I have got to know Keith and know that his cars are capable of winning every night out.”
In 2009, it was Whitt, Darren Hagen and Henry Clarke comprising the Kunz stable. Whitt held the primary rides, piloting the No. 67 in sprint car competition and the No. 71 while competing in the midget division. With Whitt announcing that he was going to be competing in the Camping World Eastern division this season, that left a seat open at the Kunz stable.
A conversation between Darland and another open-wheel standout, Cory Kruseman, led to the pairing of Darland and Kunz.
“Cory and I were talking at the Chili Bowl,” noted Darland. “He told me I really ought to get in touch with Keith about the seat (vacated by Whitt). I had already thought of that, but I did give Keith a call and we came together and are excited about the season.”
Darland, who had noted in the past not having any intentions of chasing a third USAC Mopar Midget national title, saw scheduling as a means to again join the title fray.
“Looking at the schedule there were a lot of double-headers,” said Darland. “So it made sense to jump in the midget and go after the points there too. There are a few of the midget races I probably wouldn’t have run, but I’ll race them as well as the bigger events now.”
The series kicks off next week at the East Bay Raceway near Tampa (Fla.) in the Bubba Army Sprint Nationals. The opening night for the new season will be held Monday night and concluding on Wednesday night as a prelude to the Daytona 500 on Feb. 14.
“Looking at the equipment I have this year I feel like I could go out and win every race,” chuckled Darland. “But I know that isn’t going to happen as much as I would like it to. It feels good to know that your chances are just as good as anyone else when you get to the track.”

2/3/10, 2:14 PM   #2
Re: Article on Darland's new ride
SprintManDave

Thanks Brett and congratulations on your HARF Media award.

2/3/10, 2:21 PM   #3
IndyBound

Wish Dave and crew all the best in 2010!

Patti

2/3/10, 5:05 PM   #4
SprintRacer4

Heard that this deal was only for the first 10 or so shows of the season unless they can come up with sponshorship to run the full schedule

2/3/10, 5:19 PM   #5
nowings4me

Good luck to Dave, no matter what you drive. I truly enjoyed talking with you at the Expo in Indy last weekend. Whatever you do, we all know you always give your best effort.

2/3/10, 7:13 PM   #6
wbr

Good Luck to Dave and the KK race team. Hope you find victory lane and a sponsor too.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Article on Darland's new ride