IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Head and Neck Restraint
1/23/08, 5:33 PM   #1
Head and Neck Restraint
smbpreformance

Which major series besides USAC currently require use of an approved Head and neck restraint?

1/23/08, 5:52 PM   #2
Re: Head and Neck Restraint
wbr

I think Nascar does now. :pissonwings:

1/23/08, 6:06 PM   #3
smbpreformance

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbr View Post
I think Nascar does now. :pissonwings:
That I know they do.........I heard a story a couple years back that they day they implemented the rule was a practice day at one of the tracks and a certain driver that likes to play by his own rules and grind into the NASCAR authority pulled on his fire suit put the HANS device on his shoulders and threw his helmet in the car and hopped in and drove it on to pit road to practice (Fully knowing they would not let him on the track without putting the helmet on). An official stopped him and told him he could not go out without a helmet and the official was informed by the driver that the rulebook states you must wear a fire suit, shoes, gloves, and a restraint and also must HAVE a helmet so after the driver showed that he was wearing the safety equipment and had his helmet (in the car beside him) he wanted to go on the track and take some laps...........Well the car was not allowed to take any laps that day and the driver was called to the "Big Red Truck" for his actions...:emote20::kookoo2:

1/24/08, 12:19 AM   #4
KRJoyce1

Sean,
A few others besides NASCAR & USAC Include:
Grand Am, ALMS, NHRA (Classes over 150mph I believe) F-1 and some other FIA sanctioned classes. I believe the CRA may be adding a requirement as well for some classes. IRL, does not have it in it's rules yet, but all drivers are using the Hans as is the case in ChampCar.
Ken Joyce

1/24/08, 1:18 AM   #5
NJDMONEY

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRJoyce1 View Post
Sean,
A few others besides NASCAR & USAC Include:
Grand Am, ALMS, NHRA (Classes over 150mph I believe) F-1 and some other FIA sanctioned classes. I believe the CRA may be adding a requirement as well for some classes. IRL, does not have it in it's rules yet, but all drivers are using the Hans as is the case in ChampCar.
Ken Joyce
It was mandatory in Champ Car and IRL a year or so before it was in NASCAR

1/24/08, 8:45 AM   #6
sprint 98j

I have had 3 close friends killed in sprints. All with their Hans on. And none killed with out. I I know one died as a result of this life saving wonder (Sarcasm) and I think it contributed to one other. If you use one you have to have a sternum strap other wise you body will crumple and con form to the shoulder straps thru loss of actual on the body tightness. I know we really don't like them at all. They also restrict rotation helmet movement enough you can see around you well enough causing more incidents. May be OK at big tracks but a quality collar is better in the bull rings.

1/24/08, 9:47 AM   #7
smbpreformance

Does anyone know the rules in WoO, All Stars od ASCS?

1/24/08, 10:15 AM   #8
Knoke77

While we are on this subject I figured I would toss this out for those that didn't know and are looking for a Hans. They have actually come out with a less expensive model. It weighs a little bit more but the safety factor is the same as their most expensive.

http://www.saferacer.com/hans-sport-...productid=1296

You can check it out there.

1/24/08, 10:50 AM   #9
cecil98

I do believe it was wrong of USAC to mandate the HANS device without any verifiable evidence that they help more than they hurt in the sprint car application. If USAC has a fault, it is over-regulation, in my opinion. We bought it for the opening Lawrenceburg USAC show in April 2007 and immediately tested it on L'Burg's front wall and catch fence (several barrel rolls into the wall). Brad was uninjured but, there is no way of knowing if it helped, or not. He wears it all of the time now and has gotten comfortable with it but, I'm still skeptical of it's value in sprint cars.

1/24/08, 10:54 AM   #10
bent wrench16

I see that leatt-brace has restraint system out does anybody know if this usac approved?

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Head and Neck Restraint