IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > fuel cell question
11/26/09, 12:35 PM   #1
fuel cell question
konger10

Guys what is the advantage and disadvantage of these to type of fuel cell. The tail tank with bladder and the 11 gallonn hard plastic tank with fiberglass cover on a mini sprint

11/26/09, 1:19 PM   #2
Re: fuel cell question
buck2

The tank/cover deal is cheaper and lighter. Bladder is safer, costs a lot more, gets the weight lower in the chassis. For me the bladder is the way to go just for the safety. I ran a Bailey tank and cover arrangement for several years and had zero problems with it. I did convert that car to a bladder tank because I thought it was safer. JMO

11/26/09, 6:51 PM   #3
konger10

Will be running gas does that make a difference

11/26/09, 7:04 PM   #4
slide22

Quote:
Originally Posted by konger10 View Post
Will be running gas does that make a difference
Yes, huge difference. I posted some stats earlier this year comparing the BTU's and explosiveness of gasoline and methanol. I don't feel like trying to find it, but essentially, gas catches fire much faster, and burns hotter than methanol. I would go with a bladder running these big tracks and on gasoline. You can never pay too much for safety.

3 members like this post: buck2, Jimmydiesel, speed9
1/25/10, 2:07 AM   #5
acluett

People who need performance need diesel. Take a look at those who do serious work-what they have in common is diesel power. For example, the military, trucking, railroad, mining, construction, and aviation industries all use diesel fuel. The United States is the only country in the world dominated by gasoline. In fact, we use more gasoline than the rest of the world-combined!

1/25/10, 1:41 PM   #6

Don't buy a bladder for methanol and then run gas in it-different bladders required.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > fuel cell question