IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Pir
11/9/09, 5:08 PM   #1
Pir
IndyBound

Does anyone have any idea what teams have made the trip west? I have not seen a pre entry list for either the Silver Crown or midget divisions. I know the Gulick, WBR & 6R teams are in town to run.

Also with Manzy gone I would have thought USAC would have stepped up their promotion and/or advertising of this race. In the past they would announce for weeks in advance at Manzy that USAC was coming to town. Once again I have seen nothing advertising USAC will be racing at PIR on Thursday, D. O. mentioned on his radio show last week that Copper Classic would never return to the days of old. The USAC divisions are all that is left of Copper Classic, supermodifieds are gone and Indy Cars are gone; I hope the USAC divisions don't join the gone list in 2010. Being an open wheel pavement girl at heart I hope all three divisions are back at PIR in 2010.

Car count and attendance will probably determine the fate of USAC at PIR. However it still baffles me how any racing organization can expect there teams to travel cross country to race and the organizations doesn't send out press releases to the local media for at least two or three weeks in advance. In my opinion an article run the day of or day before the event does little if anything to attract new fans.

I wish all competitor's the best at PIR and thank them for making the long haul to bring my favorite form of racing to local area.

Patti

2 members like this post: dberrio, I Miss Manzy
11/9/09, 6:33 PM   #2
Re: Pir
SUPERDUKE
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by indybound View Post
does anyone have any idea what teams have made the trip west? I have not seen a pre entry list for either the silver crown or midget divisions. I know the gulick, wbr & 6r teams are in town to run.

Also with manzy gone i would have thought usac would have stepped up their promotion and/or advertising of this race. In the past they would announce for weeks in advance at manzy that usac was coming to town. Once again i have seen nothing advertising usac will be racing at pir on thursday, d. O. Mentioned on his radio show last week that copper classic would never return to the days of old. The usac divisions are all that is left of copper classic, supermodifieds are gone and indy cars are gone; i hope the usac divisions don't join the gone list in 2010. Being an open wheel pavement girl at heart i hope all three divisions are back at pir in 2010.

Car count and attendance will probably determine the fate of usac at pir. However it still baffles me how any racing organization can expect there teams to travel cross country to race and the organizations doesn't send out press releases to the local media for at least two or three weeks in advance. In my opinion an article run the day of or day before the event does little if anything to attract new fans.

I wish all competitor's the best at pir and thank them for making the long haul to bring my favorite form of racing to local area.

Patti
dick jordan works hard for usac but the media don't care about usac! Nor to many race fans! Thurs nite the mite have 6000 people!!!!!!! Sad very sad! If its nascar they go the extra mile for them!

1 member likes this post: AustinSprinter
11/9/09, 7:26 PM   #3
Hank P.

Does anyone know if Bobby Santos is making the trip to Phoenix for both the midget and silver crown races?

11/9/09, 8:12 PM   #4
IndyBound

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank P. View Post
Does anyone know if Bobby Santos is making the trip to Phoenix for both the midget and silver crown races?
Hank P, I have been wondering the same thing but have heard nothing. It is a very long haul for the Santos team to make.

Patti

11/9/09, 8:39 PM   #5
USAC Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyBound View Post
However it still baffles me how any racing organization can expect there teams to travel cross country to race and the organizations doesn't send out press releases to the local media for at least two or three weeks in advance. In my opinion an article run the day of or day before the event does little if anything to attract new fans.
How can you blame USAC if the local newspapers will not run the article? The AZ Republic is NASCAR-packed that weekend and they will not run any sort of pre-race releases from USAC and Mark Armijo will not write one of his own.

3 members like this post: FishBurger, I Miss Manzy, SUPERDUKE
11/9/09, 9:07 PM   #6
lilrim

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyBound View Post
Does anyone have any idea what teams have made the trip west? I have not seen a pre entry list for either the Silver Crown or midget divisions. I know the Gulick, WBR & 6R teams are in town to run.

Also with Manzy gone I would have thought USAC would have stepped up their promotion and/or advertising of this race. In the past they would announce for weeks in advance at Manzy that USAC was coming to town. Once again I have seen nothing advertising USAC will be racing at PIR on Thursday, D. O. mentioned on his radio show last week that Copper Classic would never return to the days of old. The USAC divisions are all that is left of Copper Classic, supermodifieds are gone and Indy Cars are gone; I hope the USAC divisions don't join the gone list in 2010. Being an open wheel pavement girl at heart I hope all three divisions are back at PIR in 2010.

Car count and attendance will probably determine the fate of USAC at PIR. However it still baffles me how any racing organization can expect there teams to travel cross country to race and the organizations doesn't send out press releases to the local media for at least two or three weeks in advance. In my opinion an article run the day of or day before the event does little if anything to attract new fans.

I wish all competitor's the best at PIR and thank them for making the long haul to bring my favorite form of racing to local area.

Patti
off the top of my head...

Wise & Dodson (RE Technology)
Coons & Hmiel & a 3rd driver (RW)
Whitt & Walker (Vance)
East & Armstrong Leffler (Klatt/East)
Swanson & Tyler (6r)
Wilson (WBR)
Kaeding (BK Motorsports)
Jones & Hines (TSR)
Fike (RFMS)
Daum (Daum)
Santos....?
Hamilton (REV 1)
Gulick (Gulick)
Kahne (Zariounian)???????

Hope that helps!!

2 members like this post: AustinSprinter, IndyBound
11/9/09, 10:10 PM   #7
dberrio

hi guys, i spoke to bobby II this afternoon. he,ellen,and bobby III just crossed into new mexico towing the silver crown car and the midget car.said the trip was going ok.said he should be in pheonix tuesday nite.

3 members like this post: AustinSprinter, IndyBound, reserved1
11/10/09, 9:32 AM   #8
Bubzilla

Here's USAC's most recent press release:

KAEDING PUTS LID ON 3RD SILVER CROWN TITLE THURSDAY AT PHOENIX

Bud Kaeding of Campbell, Calif. will conclude his historic drive to a third USAC K & N Silver Crown championship Thursday when the series partners with the USAC Mopar National/Western Midget series in the 34th Lucas Oil “Copper World Classic” at Phoenix (Ariz.) International Raceway.

Kaeding will become only the second driver in series history with three titles, matching the feat accomplished by Jimmy Sills in (1990, 1994 and 1996). Kaeding’s first two titles came in 1996 and 1997.

Bud opened the 2009 campaign with a victory in Phoenix, at the half-mile dirt Manzanita Speedway. His eight starts in his Alviso Rock/High Five Pizza Beast/Speedway Mopar have produced no finish worse than 10th.

While Kaeding’s point lead is secure, a bevy of drivers will battle for the number two ranking in Thursday’s series finale. No less than seven drivers are mathematically still in the hunt for the runner-up spot, with 66 points available and only 48 points separating positions two through eight.

A.J. Fike of Galesburg, Ill., still seeking his first career win, has an eight-point margin over Tracy Hines of New Castle, Ind. Fike has had a trio of “top-5s” this year, while Hines has six “top-10s” in eight starts. Levi Jones, Hines’ teammate, plus Josh Wise, Brian Tyler, Kody Swanson and Shane Hmiel are the other contenders for the number two ranking.

Dave Steele, who won five straight “Copper World” Silver Crown races from 2002-2006, holds the 1-lap track qualifying record of 142.197 mph.

Bobby East swept last year’s “Copper World” Midget and Silver Crown “doubleheader” and he is expected to be joined Thursday by former “Copper World” Silver Crown race winners Jason Leffler (2000), Tyler (1999) and Cameron Dodson (2007). Dodson’s story is remarkable, recovering from critical injuries in a highway accident last winter to come back and win in the Silver Crown cars at Iowa Speedway in July.
Last edited by Bubzilla; 11/10/09 at 9:33 AM.

11/10/09, 11:35 AM   #9
IndyBound

Quote:
Originally Posted by dberrio View Post
hi guys, i spoke to bobby II this afternoon. he,ellen,and bobby III just crossed into new mexico towing the silver crown car and the midget car.said the trip was going ok.said he should be in pheonix tuesday nite.
Glad to hear Bobby and family are headed for Phoenix, hope they have a safe trip and wish him the best of luck at PIR.

Patti

---------- Post added at 11:55 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:35 AM ----------

Bubzilla, thanks for printing the latest press release from USAC, it is great as long as you know what USAC is and where to find it. USAC fans as we all are know where to find the USAC website and what the USAC schedule is, I was talking about getting the word out to attract new fans so the race date at Phoenix doesn't go away. The Arizona Republic isn't the only newspaper in town, I have seen nothing in any of the papers, I will admit I am a few days behind reading the paper from being away, up until last Friday there was nothing in the paper.

Patti

11/11/09, 1:16 PM   #10
wbr

SC Entry list:
1&2 Wise & Dodson (RE Technology)
3,4,5 Coons & Hmiel & a 3rd driver (RWB)
6&7 Whitt & Walker (Vance)
8,9,10 East & Armstrong, Leffler (Klatt/East)
11&12 Swanson & Tyler (6r)
13 Wilson (WBR/6R)
14 Kaeding (BK Motorsports)
15&16 Jones & Hines (TSR)
17 Fike (RFMS)
18 Daum (Daum)
19 Santos(Santos)
20 Hamilton (REV 1)
21 Gulick (Gulick)
22 Kahne (Zariounian)???????
23 Ryan Smith (Smith)

1 member likes this post: IndyBound