IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Miller's Words Endorsing High Cost of Midget Racing
8/17/09, 12:01 PM   #1
Miller's Words Endorsing High Cost of Midget Racing
DonMoore10

Kevin Miller took over as President of USAC in December 2007. Here are his published words 10 months later, September 2008 as printed in PRI Magazine:

"Our National Series (midgets) is indeed the highest echelon of midget racing, and it will attract the bigger teams and car owners with the big dollar funding and sponsors, as I feel it should. So to try and contain the costs in our national level of midget racing is not in our best interest. The alternative will be the Ford Focus program, Badger, or the many regional midget organizations. This is all good for the long-term health of our National Midget Series."

8/17/09, 12:18 PM   #2
Re: Miller's Words Endorsing High Cost of Midget Racing
SPRINTCAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonMoore10 View Post
Kevin Miller took over as President of USAC in December 2007. Here are his published words 10 months later, September 2008 as printed in PRI Magazine:

"Our National Series (midgets) is indeed the highest echelon of midget racing, and it will attract the bigger teams and car owners with the big dollar funding and sponsors, as I feel it should. So to try and contain the costs in our national level of midget racing is not in our best interest. The alternative will be the Ford Focus program, Badger, or the many regional midget organizations. This is all good for the long-term health of our National Midget Series."
I don't think he thought this out very well. There were not that many teams that fit his description

2 members like this post: dirtnonwingfan, Ovalmeister
8/17/09, 2:02 PM   #3
sprinter25

Don, the bell was rung for high cost midget motors LONG before Kevin Miller showed up at USAC. One cannot blame him for the cost of motors any more than one can blame the WoO for the high price of a 410 motor today. And you'll never unring that bell...

Things evolve, and thing usually get more expensive when they do evolve. Do I wish all forms of racing were less expensive? Of course I do... but blaming Kevin Miller, or anyone else, for that matter, for the high costs associated with racing, just won't fly with me....

3 members like this post: GregD, RacingGirl10
8/17/09, 2:03 PM   #4
TQ29m

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPRINTCAR View Post
I don't think he thought this out very well. There were not that many teams that fit his description
That's lawyer's terms, for being "selective about who runs", without saying up front, who can, and what qualifications you must have to run this "select" group. Glad he's happy! Bob

1 member likes this post: dirtnonwingfan
8/17/09, 2:20 PM   #5
DonMoore10

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprinter25 View Post
Don, the bell was rung for high cost midget motors LONG before Kevin Miller showed up at USAC. One cannot blame him for the cost of motors any more than one can blame the WoO for the high price of a 410 motor today. And you'll never unring that bell...

Things evolve, and thing usually get more expensive when they do evolve. Do I wish all forms of racing were less expensive? Of course I do... but blaming Kevin Miller, or anyone else, for that matter, for the high costs associated with racing, just won't fly with me....
Just reporting the facts here as published. I'm not responsible for Mr. Miller's words. With your post though, the spinning has already begun. Spin it anyway you choose, the Hut Hundred has been cancelled, there were only 10 midgets at Salem and there are a ton of people on here and around the country that are totally disgusted with the health and well being of midget racing in the United States.
Last edited by DonMoore10; 8/17/09 at 2:26 PM.

2 members like this post: dirtnonwingfan, Pat O'Connor Fan
8/17/09, 2:49 PM   #6
Kirk Spridgeon

Yes, he did say those things. And yes, he is also the only person out there actively trying to find a logical solution to bring midget racing back. If you would actually talk to him, you would know that.

2 members like this post: RacingGirl10
8/17/09, 3:02 PM   #7
Dyno Don

I used to think the problem with low Midget car counts was money, but for some reason that is not the case.

Last year ORP ran a I think $3000 to win Midget show and had 30+ cars.

The next night Anderson ran a $10,000 to win 400 lap show that paid, if I remember right $1000 to start. And what 16 cars showed up.

If you can get $1000 to start and park, why would you not show up?

There has got to be some reason besides cost and prize money that car counts are low. I am just not smart enough to figure it out.

Maybe if it is a star event like the night before the 500 or the Brickyard sponsors kick in more money.

Like I said I do not get it.

1 member likes this post: dirtnonwingfan
8/17/09, 3:04 PM   #8
DonMoore10

Are you sure you don't have a desk on 16th Street?

---------- Post added at 03:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:04 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyno Don View Post
I used to think the problem with low Midget car counts was money, but for some reason that is not the case.

Last year ORP ran a I think $3000 to win Midget show and had 30+ cars.

The next night Anderson ran a $10,000 to win 400 lap show that paid, if I remember right $1000 to start. And what 16 cars showed up.

If you can get $1000 to start and park, why would you not show up?

There has got to be some reason besides cost and prize money that car counts are low. I am just not smart enough to figure it out.

Maybe if it is a star event like the night before the 500 or the Brickyard sponsors kick in more money.

Like I said I do not get it.
For starters, there's a big difference between 30 laps at ORP and 400 laps at Anderson.........

8/17/09, 3:07 PM   #9
sprinter25

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonMoore10 View Post
Just reporting the facts here as published. I'm not responsible for Mr. Miller's words. With your post though, the spinning has already begun. Spin it anyway you choose, the Hut Hundred has been cancelled, there were only 10 midgets at Salem and there are a ton of people on here and around the country that are totally disgusted with the health and well being of midget racing in the United States.
Again, I ask, how can you point the finger and BLAME Kevin Miller for the health and well-being of midget racing? He doesn't build and sell $40K motors, and he certainly doesn't force anyone to buy $40K motors...

A proposal for you, if you dare....figure out a cost effective way to increase car counts without forcing current owners to junk their current 35K motors, as well as a way to pay a good enough purse so that you'll draw a great field of cars, and do so while charging a fair price for admission.

After all, that's what you want Kevin Miller and USAC to do, right? I'm sure that Kevin would love the wisdom that you'd impart.....

1 member likes this post: RacingGirl10
8/17/09, 3:11 PM   #10
DonMoore10

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprinter25 View Post
Again, I ask, how can you point the finger and BLAME Kevin Miller for the health and well-being of midget racing? He doesn't build and sell $40K motors, and he certainly doesn't force anyone to buy $40K motors...

A proposal for you, if you dare....figure out a cost effective way to increase car counts without forcing current owners to junk their current 35K motors, as well as a way to pay a good enough purse so that you'll draw a great field of cars, and do so while charging a fair price for admission.

After all, that's what you want Kevin Miller and USAC to do, right? I'm sure that Kevin would love the wisdom that you'd impart.....
I'm already getting really dizzy from all the spinning so far........

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Miller's Words Endorsing High Cost of Midget Racing