IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum

Register! Forgot Password?
Racer12 (Offline)
  #21 7/15/09 2:39 AM
The story I have heard on the hand signals is that the more that Wally flipped chuck off the harder he drove. I have tried this before and sometime it works. Here is a quote but the names have been removed to protect the guilty. "you just got passed by #$%@! (*&^!#!~ ***!" This quote from around 2006 by a fellow crew member of mine.

The pic from John Mahoney of I belive one of the caruthers sitting on J.P. Jr's shoulders while he is strapped in from the 70's is the funniest! Ahhhhh to be around when racing wasn't so damn SERIOUS! And any pic of Larry Rice and his silly ass hats are good to!

Bob
Midget82
  #22 7/15/09 5:13 AM
Originally Posted by Blackduce:
anybody have Daves Pitstop photo of last year at the Kokomo Klash winners circle. That showed the Peterbuilt crew with masks on. And Standbrough didn't have a clue what was going on behind him. Funny Winners circle photo.

Lynn
http://www.pbase.com/pitpass/kokomo_klash_sprints

-Dave Merritt photo.
Bubzilla (Offline)
  #23 7/15/09 8:51 AM
There's a photo out there somewhere similar to the Chuck Booth shot, in which Chuck Gurney (also in a dirt champ car) is passing someone and giving them the salute too. I looked for it on the net for a bit, but couldn't find it. I'm pretty sure I still have a copy on one of my old laptops. I'll look for it if no one else finds it.

Joe Mc.
Gasman fan 50 (Offline)
  #24 7/15/09 10:27 AM
Our first Indy car race in 89 at PIR mile. Mears in the Penz car had the field covered and lapping the back markers. A kid took him out because he didn't keep his line. Spun Mears out as he had his black gloved finger in the air. The first time seeing all 4 tires go pop! Sure miss those days.
Downey44 (Offline)
  #25 7/15/09 11:22 AM
Originally Posted by Larry:
Some folks at The Frolic at Gas City this past Saturday posing in racing suits "borrowed" from Brandon Petty

Don't know who the one all the way to the left is but he has good taste in beer
Speedwrench (Offline)
  #26 7/15/09 5:15 PM
Originally Posted by Bubzilla:
There's a photo out there somewhere similar to the Chuck Booth shot, in which Chuck Gurney (also in a dirt champ car) is passing someone and giving them the salute too. I looked for it on the net for a bit, but couldn't find it. I'm pretty sure I still have a copy on one of my old laptops. I'll look for it if no one else finds it.
Old age must be creeping up on me. I thought the Gurney picture was taken during a midget race. Minor detail either way.
mnnonwing (Offline)
  #27 7/15/09 6:03 PM
Hewitt rocks!!!
SUPERDUKE (Offline)
  #28 7/15/09 7:08 PM
Originally Posted by Speedwrench:
Old age must be creeping up on me. I thought the Gurney picture was taken during a midget race. Minor detail either way.
it was driving car 54!
Ovalmeister (Offline)
  #29 7/16/09 6:32 AM
Originally Posted by Speedwrench:
You are correct.
David.

http://ovalmeister.webs.com/apps/pho...otoid=26420394
Jack Dupp (Offline)
  #30 7/17/09 10:34 AM
Originally Posted by Jonr:
It had to be the picture of the sprint car that was built inside of a mobile home. To get the car out, they had to take the side wall out of the mobile home.
Everyman's hero, Robert Bell