IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Larry Rice
5/13/09, 1:34 PM   #1
Larry Rice
STIDA.com

Race Count This Year: 9

This is Larry's son Robbie.

I am sorry for taking so long to let the racing community know about my dad's health. He is very private man and wanted none of his friends to worry about him. He was diagnosed with cancer at the base of the tongue in early2000. Went through surgeries, radiation and chemo to treat it and it was very successful. On a routine check up on that bout with cancer he complained of a cough and tests were run. Then it was determined that the cancer had spread to his lungs. (May 05) Since then he has taken more chemo and radiation than most could fathom. They told him then he had 6 months maybe a couple of years with the medicines that were available. Last week he hit the 4 year mark. So from him, he wants people to know that anything is possible. There is nothing more in this world besides his family that he loves more than autoracing. Whether it was the 500 in May, the champ cars at the mile or a sprint show at Terre Haute. He has made a lot of great friends there is no doubt about that. He told Bob Higman yesterday "I wouldnt change one damn thing."

Right now he is resting here at the hospital and we are trying to get his oxygen and breathing stabilizied so we can get him back home. We are hoping that can happen by weeks end. When that does happen the family would love for his friends to come see him to tell some stories (probably lies) about the good ole days and even have a beer. Untill then we ask for some privacy here at the hospital. If you have my number dont hesitate to call, I am doing my best to get back to everyone, it may take an hour or so but I promise to get back with all of you at some point. When we get more things confirmed and figured out I will post here. Since this post is from the family feel free to repost on other websites as you feel appropriate.

Thank you for your thougths from the entire Rice Family

5/13/09, 1:45 PM   #2
Re: Larry Rice
Seadog

Thank you for the update. We continue to pray for Larry and the whole family. God bless.

5/13/09, 1:47 PM   #3
STP

Race Count Last Year: 1

Thank you for the update, Robbie. Your dad and family have been in our constant thoughts and prayers this week. He has fought an amazing battle without even slowing down. If there is anything you need, let us know.

5/13/09, 1:56 PM   #4
Shawn

Thanks, Robbie. Thoughts and prayers go out the the entire Rice family.

5/13/09, 2:02 PM   #5
bigmojo5

Robbie,
My prayers and thoughts are with you. As someone who lost a 34 year old brother to cancer, I know just how devastating this can be. I am very thankful that you dad's been able to give it a much better battle than Carl. He had one of those coughs, but didn't get it checked out early enough. His fight was over before it began.
To anyone out there with a cough or something that just doesn't feel right please get it checked out like Larry did.
And tell a Larry Rice story today, either on this website, or to your family and friends.
Jim Morrison

5/13/09, 2:07 PM   #6
Bobv

Thanks for the update Robbie. We will keep your Dad and your family in our prayers.

5/13/09, 2:56 PM   #7
tjtomthumb

Thank you Robbie for the update. Give your mom a big hug and let her know all her friends from Piqua have the entire Rice family in our thoughts and prayers.

5/13/09, 3:06 PM   #8
Butch47265

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobv View Post
Thanks for the update Robbie. We will keep your Dad and your family in our prayers.
Thank you for the run down, be sure to tell Larry he &family are in are PRAYERS will pray real hard for you all,God bless you all. Butch Wilkerson#1

5/13/09, 3:12 PM   #9
HARFprez

Race Count This Year: 3

to Rice-a-roni, it's just another race where you have to start on the tail and battle your way to Victory, you've done it before and we know you can do it again, just never give up! damn lousy timing too because i know the Speedway is doing a big Rookie of the Year show this weekend and Larry was to be one of the honored guests. i always kid Larry when i see him and ask him who that other guy was that was Rookie of the Year the same year he won the honor at the 500 (& in case you don't know, it was Rick Mears). you guys know that if there is anything you need all you have to do is contact us. God Bless, we'll see you all soon. bob

5/13/09, 3:22 PM   #10
TQ29m

To Larry and Family: You may never know, how many people Larry has touched, and we all wish him a quick recovery, so he can continue to promote his true love. I first met Larry, when he came to our Go-Kart banquets, in the early 60's, at Columbus, In. We always looked forward to his presentations on racing, and I feel he really got a lot of respect, as well as admiration, from the old, and the new Kart Racers in attendance, with his genuine honesty, and his attention to detail, about racing, and the enjoyment it could bring. I wasn't a Spring chicken then, in fact, I was no doubt older than he was then, but his fire transfered to me, as it did to the younger ones, and it's easy to remember his talks at our banquets. Larry, I wish you well, my wife is a cancer survivor, almost so long ago, it's hard to remember when, but she was first diagnosed in 1965, around the time you were coming to our banquets, God Bless you, and thanks, you'll be in our thoughts and prayers. Bob McClure

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Larry Rice