IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > red flag
2/22/09, 9:51 PM   #1
red flag
interpreter66

at manzy the red flag came out for a flip in turn two,one car that was in front of this flip was in the middle of the backstretch when it came out but drove all the way around to the front stretch past the flag stand before he stopped so he could get to the wall for his crew to look at the car . ( he even had to weave thru the other cars that had stopped to get there) what kind of penalty due you think they should give to drivers that dont stop in a timely manner?

2/22/09, 10:55 PM   #2
Re: red flag
Ovalmeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by interpreter66 View Post
at manzy the red flag came out for a flip in turn two,one car that was in front of this flip was in the middle of the backstretch when it came out but drove all the way around to the front stretch past the flag stand before he stopped so he could get to the wall for his crew to look at the car . ( he even had to weave thru the other cars that had stopped to get there) what kind of penalty due you think they should give to drivers that dont stop in a timely manner?
Here's what happened to me in the very FIRST race I ever drove in. I made the feature. Halfway through the race I was going down the backstretch and saw the red light come on in turn 3. I got totally out of the gas, looked across the turn and saw nothing. (the flip was in turn1). I coasted very slowly around to the front stretch and stopped. So did 4-5 cars ahead of me. The flagman came out of the flagstand, walked over and told me to "put the car on the trailer, you're done for tonight". I still made $80.00 :O:
Not sure if that answers your question, just relaying personal experience.
David.
Last edited by Ovalmeister; 2/22/09 at 10:56 PM. Reason: spelling

2/22/09, 10:55 PM   #3
dant

The rule is to not drive past the wreck under red...there usually is a designated area [if you can get there without going past the wreck] sounds like the driver did as he should...USAC uses one way radios ,had they thought said driver need to stop ,they would have told him

2/22/09, 11:12 PM   #4
interpreter66

Quote:
Originally Posted by dant View Post
The rule is to not drive past the wreck under red...there usually is a designated area [if you can get there without going past the wreck] sounds like the driver did as he should...USAC uses one way radios ,had they thought said driver need to stop ,they would have told him
i thought you were to stop where ever you were so safety teams and other's could get to the wreck right away?

2/22/09, 11:29 PM   #5
okienonwingfan

At Okc during regular night races if a Red comes out you are to stop at that time where you are at on the track. After the incident is adressed if the red is still out then the cars are pushed to the work area. If a car does not follow this procedure then they are put on the back of the race.

2/22/09, 11:29 PM   #6
SHORTBUS

Race Count This Year: 35
Race Count Last Year: 61

Quote:
i thought you were to stop where ever you were so safety teams and other's could get to the wreck right away?
you are to stop as safely & as quickly as possable

2/22/09, 11:50 PM   #7
Jimmydiesel

Quote:
Put him on the trailer.
This is a serious safety issue.:kick:headbang

2/22/09, 11:53 PM   #8
1BIGracefan

I was at the Drivers meeting on Saturday nite. It was stated when a red flag came out you are to proceed to the front stretch if possible. This is what said driver did when the crash happened behind him.

Kyle

2/23/09, 12:01 AM   #9
Ovalmeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1BIGracefan View Post
I was at the Drivers meeting on Saturday nite. It was stated when a red flag came out you are to proceed to the front stretch if possible. This is what said driver did when the crash happened behind him.

Kyle
See! That's what I thought also. It was my first race so I just did what the guys ahead of me were doing. They didn't get in trouble. They must have all been Earnhardt's. :rolling
David.

2/23/09, 12:13 AM   #10
airplanegeek

It depends on where you're racing and who you are. At the track where I race if your the right guy you can drive right on around to the pit gate so your flunkies won't have to drag the stuff so far. If ,on the other hand, you don't have family members as track officials it is a real safety issue.

Rick Fields

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > red flag