IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum

Register! Forgot Password?
Jonr (Offline)
  #1 6/20/23 12:14 PM
I am going to be taking in the last three nights of the POWRi midget week. To make my life a little easier, I have decided to stay in Springfield all three nights and commute back and forth between the tracks.

What is there to do in Springfield during the day? Anything that is highly recommended?

Thanks
Jon R
2 Likes: oppweld, tirespinner
miledirt (Offline)
  #2 6/20/23 12:32 PM
Lincoln museum is very good
3 Likes: Dirt Trackker, Grocery Guy, tirespinner
Dirt Trackker (Offline)
  #3 6/20/23 3:24 PM
Lincoln museum, home, burial site are all worth the time. A little farther away, New Salem State Historic Site looks like it did 1830s when Honest Abe lived there. Enjoy!
2 Likes: Grocery Guy, tirespinner
Andrew S. Quinn (Offline)
  #4 6/20/23 4:04 PM
Morty told me years ago he used to stop where Little Springfield Speedway used to be and take a leak in the parking lot to let them know how he felt about it not being there anymore.

From memory there was a K-mart and Taco Bell built there.....
11 Likes: bullringko, Dale, erich45, Grocery Guy, Hustlin-Hoosier, Ilovedirttrackracing, luckybuc97, oppweld, racenut69, tirespinner, TQ29m
erich45 (Offline)
  #5 6/20/23 4:21 PM
K-Mart was there long before the track closed. I think the ticket booth was right about where the back of the Walgreen store now sits. Have to admit, I have to stop and reflect whenever I'm in the area.
3 Likes: Andrew S. Quinn, Hustlin-Hoosier, oppweld
Jonr (Offline)
  #6 6/20/23 5:03 PM
Originally Posted by Andrew S. Quinn:
Morty told me years ago he used to stop where Little Springfield Speedway used to be and take a leak in the parking lot to let them know how he felt about it not being there anymore.

From memory there was a K-mart and Taco Bell built there.....
I think that one is a hard no......
4 Likes: Andrew S. Quinn, Ilovedirttrackracing, tirespinner, TQ29m
B99 (Offline)
  #7 6/20/23 6:52 PM
A visit to the Star Cafe at the Road Ranger at exit 100 on I55 is also in order. If you walk away hungry there you have a problem.

KMart was there, Robbie Standridge flipped into their parking lot one night. I hope he whizzes on the McDonalds. The world didn't need another one of those places.

I'm trying to figure out why a guy who has gone out of his way to bash Powri is attending their midget week.
2 Likes: Andrew S. Quinn, oppweld
Jonr (Offline)
  #8 6/21/23 12:22 PM
Originally Posted by B99:
.....I'm trying to figure out why a guy who has gone out of his way to bash Powri is attending their midget week.
More of a non kool-aide drinker. While others see all of the good in POWRi, I see more of the bad things especially with all of the shows that have been cross promoted against.

However, my love for midgets is much greater than my dislike of any sanctioning group.
3 Likes: BrentTFunk, oppweld, tirespinner
Andrew S. Quinn (Offline)
  #9 6/21/23 6:50 PM
Dirtnonwingfan would probably be the one with the most knowledge about Springfield. If he happens by.

Route 66 runs through Springfield if you like cruising around and checking out the sights
3 Likes: Ilovedirttrackracing, luckybuc97, tirespinner
Hubie48 (Offline)
  #10 6/22/23 4:28 AM
There is plenty to see *and eat* in Springfield Illinois.

Frank Lloyd Wright build a few homes there which are very cool. There is a pizza place like two blocks South of the "Circle" which is not to be missed. Delicious pizza.... it's a sit down restaurant and you can thank me later. Gabatoni’s is the name, it’s on Laural.