IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Why no USAC sprint tour?
9/13/22, 11:15 PM   #1
Why no USAC sprint tour?
The bubs

Usac does an annual east coast tour . As in the east coast storm. I love it. My question is why doesn’t Usac try the same kind of tour in Ohio? Yes I know the go to Eldora, but couldn’t they try some other tracks like Fremont, Waynesfield, Attica, Limaland, or Sharon, etc. Has this been tried in the past and not gone well? Also , a side question. With what sadly looks like Grandview closing, what track do you think will pick up that Usac race? I would like to see Lernerville get it. I have gone to several Boss shows there. I enjoyed every one.

4 members like this post: FALCONEDDIE, oppweld, tirespinner, TNRustler
9/14/22, 7:25 AM   #2
Re: Why no USAC sprint tour?
JJMooney

Quote:
Originally Posted by The bubs View Post
Usac does an annual east coast tour . As in the east coast storm. I love it. My question is why doesn’t Usac try the same kind of tour in Ohio? Yes I know the go to Eldora, but couldn’t they try some other tracks like Fremont, Waynesfield, Attica, Limaland, or Sharon, etc. Has this been tried in the past and not gone well? Also , a side question. With what sadly looks like Grandview closing, what track do you think will pick up that Usac race? I would like to see Lernerville get it. I have gone to several Boss shows there. I enjoyed every one.
USAC ran a small tour through Ohio in June from 2002 to 2006?. It was called the Buckeye Nationals. Originally, the tracks were Attica, Fremont, Lima and Eldora. I went to all of them the first two years. The shows featured both USAC Sprint Cars and USAC Midgets. I thought the crowds were great in the beginning. Toward the end, I think the crowds had fallen off. Attica and Fremont had pulled out and only two tracks, Lima and Eldora, were left.

1 member likes this post: chrismattlin
9/14/22, 8:58 AM   #3
ThrowbackRacingTeam

I went to some of the Buckeye Nationals events. Would like to see them run Attica and Fremont for sure. When Earl had Eldora there was always at least a couple dates for USAC sprints as the headliner plus the 4 crown. Unfortunately, the current owner seems to prefer wings.

3 members like this post: luckybuc97, ROSCO, tamati
9/14/22, 9:30 AM   #4
Jonr

A couple of items. There is so many weekend shows available. Any Speed Week will need two weekends to be the book ends. If you look at the three USAC schedules, there is not that many open slots.

Also, USAC goes where the promoters want them. If the Ohio tracks prefer All Stars and WOO, the promoters will book more of those shows.

9/14/22, 10:39 AM   #5
The bubs

I was thinking the spot in the Usac schedule for it would be between the end of July and the end of August before they go to Kokomo. As we all know the beginning of August is Knoxville Nationals time, so a lot of the wing guys will be there. So why not try something like a 4 to 5 race non wing Ohio tour during this time of the year? This is just a pipe dream I would like to see for myself. As I have mentioned I am in the east coast and so this would be less travel time for me. I am older in age and have back issues, so less car time is easier for me. I think between the Usac regulars and some of the Boss racers I think the potential for some great shows is there. Thanks for your response to my post.

3 members like this post: chrismattlin, oppweld, TNRustler
9/14/22, 10:45 AM   #6
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThrowbackRacingTeam View Post
I went to some of the Buckeye Nationals events. Would like to see them run Attica and Fremont for sure. When Earl had Eldora there was always at least a couple dates for USAC sprints as the headliner plus the 4 crown. Unfortunately, the current owner seems to prefer wings.
He only runs his own series once and that is combined in a USAC four crown.

9/14/22, 11:18 AM   #7
nodramazone20

I would like to see Illinois Tour ....Farmer City, Spoon, Jax, and FALS.....the sanctioning body to be determined....just my wish

9/14/22, 2:35 PM   #8
oppweld

Race Count This Year: 3
Race Count Last Year: 25

If not a sprint week, how about a series of 4 doubleheaders: Charleston-Granite City, Lincoln-Fals, Jacksonville-Canton, Farmer City-Peoria!

5 members like this post: luckybuc97, nathans1012, tirespinner, TNRustler, yeleyfan76
9/14/22, 5:44 PM   #9
dirtybob29

Race Count This Year: 21
Race Count Last Year: 22

I would have to come out to see some of those .

2 members like this post: oppweld, tirespinner
9/14/22, 5:54 PM   #10
nathans1012

Race Count This Year: 7
Race Count Last Year: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by oppweld View Post
If not a sprint week, how about a series of 4 doubleheaders: Charleston-Granite City, Lincoln-Fals, Jacksonville-Canton, Farmer City-Peoria!

Add a 5th double-header at Kankakee & Macon.

I'd love to see a USAC Sprint race at Kankakee County Speedway. The new promoter there this year Billy Knippenberg has done a great job and turns 1 & 2 are now enclosed just like they were from the time the track opened thru the late 1990's. Kankakee now look and races kind of like a big Fairbury. Billy did say a few weeks ago in a Facebook live video that he wants to get a fence up in turns 1 & 2 before he schedules any sprint shows and is looking for sponsors and help the make that happen.

As far as races in Pennsylvania what about a race at Path Valley?
Last edited by nathans1012; 9/14/22 at 5:58 PM.

3 members like this post: oppweld, tirespinner, TNRustler
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Why no USAC sprint tour?