IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Question, Whats in the Number? Any meaning behind your car's #
12/8/08, 11:19 PM   #1
Question, Whats in the Number? Any meaning behind your car's #
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

I would love to know why teams choose the number they run under? Is there any special meaning behind it? Respect for someone else? Just family tradition? Ect.

Chuck

12/8/08, 11:42 PM   #2
Re: Question, Whats in the Number? Any meaning behind your car's #
Wallsracing

Race Count This Year: 54
Race Count Last Year: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Nungester View Post
I would love to know why teams choose the number they run under? Is there any special meaning behind it? Respect for someone else? Just family tradition? Ect.

Chuck
hmmmmm my computer is screwy tonight
Last edited by Wallsracing; 12/9/08 at 8:23 AM.

12/9/08, 12:12 AM   #3
D.O.

I ran #3 on my midget cause of my friend Sleepy Tripp and Kevin Thomas.
It was registered as National #13 as in Smokey Yunick
:dologob:

12/9/08, 12:59 AM   #4
Larryoracing

Well, the cars we run today all have the #21 on them. Bob's Dad worked with
the Woods Brothers (Nascar) and hence every car he had run throughout his
career carried the number 21, be it wing or non-wing sprints. Today as his
son is driving, every car that Kevin run carries the famed #21 proudly.

Sincerely,

Larry "O":applaud:

12/9/08, 2:08 AM   #5
voglerfan

we run #7j because my father was #7 when he raced and i just added the first letter of my first name. he passed away in 2003 before i bought a race car so i needed his # on my car. it's a sentimental thing.

12/9/08, 6:05 AM   #6
zeroracer

My first # from kart street stock and mods was because my dad always ran 91 so since he semi retired i picked it up, then in the sprint car a group of me and my racing friends were trying to think of a number and i decided to go with #0 in respect to one of the first big guys to make a name for himself Rick Ferkel :thumb

12/9/08, 7:11 AM   #7
Butch47265

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeroracer View Post
My first # from kart street stock and mods was because my dad always ran 91 so since he semi retired i picked it up, then in the sprint car a group of me and my racing friends were trying to think of a number and i decided to go with #0 in respect to one of the first big guys to make a name for himself Rick Ferkel :thumb
Jim McQueen had #1 on his car when I went to work for him,he always said #1 was easy to see when you were out front, and he always tried to make sure car was capable to be 1st. I tried very hard to keep it there, chicken some days FEATHERS the next. Butch Wilkerson #1

12/9/08, 7:59 AM   #8
cecil98

In 1999, we bought an old 1989 Shores from Alan Barr (see car in my avater). It took all of the money we had and didn't look bad so we left it as is. It was #97. Brad was rookie of the year that year and ran 6th in the feature his 2nd time ever in a car so he got attached to #97. However, the last two and a half years have been a disaster for us so, I finally talked him into running one of my old numbers (#2) an changing the paint scheme. At that time (80's), I ran the numbers #1 and #2 for two reasons, one because they were simple for either me (when i painted my own car) or, the painter, when I didn't paint my own and two, I was a huge fan of the Johnny Lightning cars driven by Al Sr. I painted a couple of my cars with that paint scheme on them.
Last edited by cecil98; 12/9/08 at 9:34 AM.

12/9/08, 9:12 AM   #9
JEFFSTOY

When my dad worked on sprint cars locally one of the guys had #69. When asked why he said if he got upside down it would be easy to tell who he was

12/9/08, 10:15 AM   #10
Seadog

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEFFSTOY View Post
When my dad worked on sprint cars locally one of the guys had #69. When asked why he said if he got upside down it would be easy to tell who he was
I recall that back in the 50's (showing my age) that it was bad luck to have a car number that was the same upside down as right side up - 11, 88, 69, 96, etc. I guess that superstition went out along time ago along with green cars, peanuts and/or women in the pits.

I also remember when USAC car numbers 1 through 10 meant where you finished in the points from the previous year. And no car numbers starting or ending in zero except 10. No number higher than 99. No letters either. Never two cars with the same number.

The preceding was from an old fart's walk down memory lane.

Sorry Chuck for getting OT.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Question, Whats in the Number? Any meaning behind your car's #