IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Forty percent
4/22/21, 4:24 PM   #1
Forty percent
ronmil

Race Count Last Year: 48

I was elated to receive an email yesterday that the Indianapolis 500 will be run this year, with attendance limited to 40% of capacity, or 135,000 fans. I was even more excited when I found out that I will be allowed to attend. Looking forward to my 57th consecutive greatest spectacle in racing! This takes some of the sting out of the announcement that the Hoosier Hundred is now history. Very sad indeed, but with no other auto races scheduled each year, it was an inevitable consequence.

4/22/21, 5:29 PM   #2
Re: Forty percent
HDbill

Good for you Ron. You MUST have some great stories. I have been to the speedway at other times of the year twice. But one of my bucket list items is to visit the museum there. 57 years says you can't be in your 40's anymore!! My first race was in '47 after my Dad cameback from the war. We live on the east coast and that was a hotbead for ARDC. 9 shows a week NINE!. My dad was friends with Bill Shindler and a number of period greats from the area including his personal hero Tony Bettenhowsen. We used to listen to Sid Collins call the greatest spectacle in racing and thrill to the sound of the mighty Novi when it camebast the mics. I have 3 sons and 2 would rather race than eat. We have been going to Tulsa for the Chili Bowl for 22 years and had cars there for the last 12. We always attend the Hall of Fame luncheon on the Friday. Our pit spot has been at the extreme opposite end from the ramp against the show fence. God willing we will be back in 2022. If you are there; stop by and ask for the old man. We could have a great time swapping stories. Gregg Wilke told me that he sold his cars and Bondio wasn't there this year. I am holding out hops that they return when we get done with this mask ********. Stay well....and on IOW.

4/22/21, 9:48 PM   #3
Terry Porter

Thats great that you get to continue your tradition.

Its sad that they're limiting it to 40% capacity. Don't see the point but then again I'm not in charge.

5/10/21, 7:32 PM   #4
Vertigo

Tickets are in the mail!!

3 members like this post: Bill Angel, Ken Bonnema, tirespinner
5/10/21, 8:54 PM   #5
Rapid Rick

I've been to 53 of them. Probably going to listen to this one. Got really spoiled on kickin my shoes off in my lawn chair in turn two. Hopefully infield back open next year so I can get my spot back.

2 members like this post: Ken Bonnema, tirespinner
5/11/21, 1:11 AM   #6
treecitytornado

Ron, won't be "Consecutive", but 57 Years is still fantastic! Last year, everyone's streak ended. No Fans. 😢

5/11/21, 2:35 PM   #7
SpfldMile

I sat outside the track for a while last year, as did many others. Some race fans just won’t take no for an answer.

2 members like this post: addictedtodirt, tirespinner
5/11/21, 2:42 PM   #8
racefan20

Quote:
Originally Posted by treecitytornado View Post
Ron, won't be "Consecutive", but 57 Years is still fantastic! Last year, everyone's streak ended. No Fans. 😢
Everyone but Bill Marvel who got to see his last one.

“To whom little is not enough, nothing is enough.” Epicurus

5/11/21, 4:51 PM   #9
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

Yes he did.

5/11/21, 5:34 PM   #10
i love dirt track racing

I will be going to my 34th indy 500 this year. Nothing like the opening ceremonies and all the great things that leads up to the checker flag. It's definitely something that once you experience that racing event you will want to come back again. I still have a little tear that comes out every year when you see the ballons and the fly over and the song back home again in Indiana. It is definitely a Kodak moment and life time memories. And when the checker flag is moving we will be headed to Kokomo for some of the other things that we all love. Only the best for our racing family. LOL.

3 members like this post: EBookerFan, Rapid Rick, tirespinner
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Forty percent