IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Appearance Points Versus Full Points
11/16/20, 10:25 AM   #1
Appearance Points Versus Full Points
The Old Coyote

How does USAC determine this?

11/16/20, 11:30 AM   #2
flagboy55

Good question coyote and I too would like to know. Strictly speculation on my part but I think the Hangtown 100 was scheduled as appearance points only due to perhaps a different format of what was going to be a big money show. Like I think BC39 is appearance points due to the difference in race procedures. My guess would be because it was on the schedule as show only, even though it was a different race, they didn’t want to change the championship schedule as far as points are concerned. This is strictly me just trying to make sense of it and I could be completely wrong. Maybe someone like Richie with more knowledge of it could clue us in?

5 members like this post: duel, erich45, i love dirt track racing, jim goerge, jjones752
11/16/20, 11:43 AM   #3
Re: Appearance Points Versus Full Points
JakeCroxton

Generally, appearance points are anything that differs from the standard format...

Anything passing points (do you award championship points for the heats or the qualifiers? - also there's no time trials) is usually appearance points only. The last day of Smackdown might utilize feature points only because all cars do not run a heat race, thus eliminating the ability of all cars to earn heat race points for championship purposes. I think the MSCS formatted show is different also but I don't remember how it's different...might be feature points only.
Last edited by JakeCroxton; 11/16/20 at 11:45 AM.

1 member likes this post: jim goerge
11/16/20, 1:29 PM   #4
revjimk

I would love to see a detailed explanation from USAC officials
I'm totally confused too
Can Sunshine still catch up? How bad does he have to beat Windom?

11/16/20, 1:29 PM   #5
Jonr

USAC is not the only series that does appearance points. The common theme is a large show that has its own qualifying procedures that are different than the normal races.

11/16/20, 1:34 PM   #6
revjimk

OK, Sunshine is behind 11 pts. so he has to beat Windom by 4 positions in the feature. I can't find if points are awarded for heats or qualifying...

11/16/20, 1:37 PM   #7
revjimk

Thought the USAC release might explain it, but no... however, now I know Larson is running! woohoo

11/16/20, 2:18 PM   #8
jjones752

Race Count This Year: 19
Race Count Last Year: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by flagboy55 View Post
Good question coyote and I too would like to know. Strictly speculation on my part but I think the Hangtown 100 was scheduled as appearance points only due to perhaps a different format of what was going to be a big money show. Like I think BC39 is appearance points due to the difference in race procedures. My guess would be because it was on the schedule as show only, even though it was a different race, they didn’t want to change the championship schedule as far as points are concerned. This is strictly me just trying to make sense of it and I could be completely wrong. Maybe someone like Richie with more knowledge of it could clue us in?
I think Flagboy's spot on; the Hangtown races were appearance points and since there's no Turkey Night this year, Bakersfield would have been the last race that regular points would have been awarded and they transferred the appearance point format to the replacement shows at Merced to avoid any "appearance" of last-minute changes that may or may not favor a particular driver.
Midwest Thunder Speed2 Midget #97

3 members like this post: jim goerge, Ken Bonnema, RockinRy
11/16/20, 2:21 PM   #9
jjones752

Race Count This Year: 19
Race Count Last Year: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by revjimk View Post
OK, Sunshine is behind 11 pts. so he has to beat Windom by 4 positions in the feature. I can't find if points are awarded for heats or qualifying...
http://usacracing.com/news/midget/it...-midget-points
Midwest Thunder Speed2 Midget #97

2 members like this post: jim goerge, RockinRy
11/16/20, 9:20 PM   #10
richie

Quote:
Originally Posted by revjimk View Post
I literally wrote a full story on it recently, breaking it all down.

Here: https://www.indianaopenwheel.com/sho...d.php?t=115409

It's also always in our rule book on the USAC website, which shows how all the points are awarded.

Appearance points are used when the event's format deviates from the "standard" USAC format of single car qualifying, heat race, semi & feature.

The final two races this weekend at Merced will utilize the standard USAC format. However, they will both be "appearance points" races because they are a replacement for the Hangtown 100, which was to be an "appearance points" event all three nights. So, basically moving the "apperance points" races to another track in this case.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Appearance Points Versus Full Points