IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > 360 question...
11/13/08, 11:49 PM   #1
360 question...
Sprint2

Hey all, I was wonderin if I could get some advice from some of you. How competetive "COULD" a ASCS motor be around Indiana. I'm from AZ and am thinkin about movin. My dad has a small business in Evansville and I was kinda thinkin about movin out there and goin racin with you guys but all I have is an ASCS motor.

11/14/08, 12:07 AM   #2
Re: 360 question...
racephoto1

Track prep has improved considerably out here in the last couple years also. You'd be OK at Paragon, because it is rarely heavy.

Gas City is really heavy anymore. Bloomington is usually heavy for hotlaps and heats, slicks of some for feature. Haubstadt is ALWAYS heavy.I didn't make it to Putnamville this year, but heard is heavy also. Also there is no qualifying, you draw for heats.

Fortunately, these are all fairly short, if you can hold your breath enough , you have a shot.

Lawrenceburg and Terre Haute, forget it. You will be way too short on horsepower for these two.Both are big joints, really big.

11/14/08, 12:53 AM   #3
sprintartist
Inactive Member

I beg to differ. Out in AZ we have some really competitive 360 motors. Casey Shuman had a 360 out at Manzy on the 1/2 and was running consistently between 18.60-18.80.
If you look back at qualifying from the Western, Sweet qualified at at 18.47 and the time Shuman put up with the 360 would have been 3rd quick.
I think if the track is heavy, you will be out to lunch, but if its slick, you might stand a chance. I don't think you could win, but you could run well.

11/14/08, 6:43 AM   #4
zeroracer

im almost completely positive i have heard of some guys running 360s around here, i think you would be pretty competetive you may struggle until you get your car just right for the heavy stuff but after the heat, i would say you would be fine

11/14/08, 9:23 AM   #5
staggerman

I know Steve Irwin from MI came down for the final Gas City show with a ASCS 360 and just missed the show with all the hot dogs right around him. At the end of the day it comes down to hooking up your car. I agree you wouldn't be competitive on the big tracks but stay to the bullrings and you would be ok to gain some laps until you could step up to a 410.

11/14/08, 9:31 AM   #6
jjones776

come on out here and race alex. you will be ok. it will just take some time to adjust. if i remember right jesse hockett came from the tail to 5th at eldora with a 360. i am assuming it was an ASCS 360. hocket's a bada$$ but with time you could be to. :thumb
Last edited by jjones776; 11/14/08 at 10:12 AM.

11/14/08, 9:54 AM   #7
Joe Kidd

Hell the midgets even run consistently better times than the non wing sprints at Eldora with the 4 bangers. You'll be just fine.

11/14/08, 11:13 AM   #8
Tim

All we've ever had was 360 ASCS legal motors and we ran MSCS in the early years (2003-4-5) against many aluminum 410's. I feel that, with a little better equipment other than the motors, we could have been just as competetive as anyone else. As it was we were still able to make most of the shows and run top 15. MSCS has stepped up from the early days but I feel we could still be just as competetive. And remember, I'm talking about ASCS LEGAL motors, meaning 2-3/16" injection restrictors. If you've got larger-than-2-3/16" injectors, you can remove the restrictors and should be able to squeeze out some more power.

You'll need to work out the handling for the IN tracks, but I'm of the opinion that, if you're willing to work at it, you can make it go.

Tim Simmons

11/14/08, 11:34 AM   #9
Fisher79

Quote:
Originally Posted by staggerman View Post
I know Steve Irwin from MI came down for the final Gas City show with a ASCS 360 and just missed the show with all the hot dogs right around him. At the end of the day it comes down to hooking up your car. I agree you wouldn't be competitive on the big tracks but stay to the bullrings and you would be ok to gain some laps until you could step up to a 410.
Yeah he was very fast that night, ran right up front in one of the B-mains and just missed the transfer. I had no idea it was a 360 in that car.

And it was tacky all night long, too.
Last edited by Fisher79; 11/14/08 at 11:34 AM. Reason: Tacky

11/14/08, 7:38 PM   #10
sprint28

just remember horsepower isn't everything! if you get how the car works and have a good feel for the handling you could be competitive.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > 360 question...