IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum

Register! Forgot Password?
Shabillac (Offline)
  #1 6/11/18 12:37 PM
Hey y'all, not brand new to sprint car racing, but new to the driving part. Looking at putting together a setup for me to take to run Elite Non Wing & Sprint Car Bandits series's here in Texas for 2019 to run when I'm not drag racing. I've helped on a local 305" team around here but not too in depth or knowledgeable.

I'll be purchasing a used roller this winter, what do I need to look for in a multi purpose car? I see a lot of "raised rail" or 87/40 stuff and that is Greek to me. I don't know what to make of those measurements.

Engine is junkyard LS 5.3 (both sanctioning bodies allow this setup) making a tick over 500 h.p. with a solid roller cam @ 7,100 and Ron's Toilet on a Holley Hi-Ram (yeah I know it's a dog but it makes noise and fits between frame rails).

What I don't know is what all I need for parts or anything to make it easier for me to run a car by myself.

What I've got so far:
Floor Jack
Basic Hand Tools
Wheel Spacers
Couple Wheels (Have to run Racesaver RR in both classes and 94 in non-wing)
Headers
Radiator
Fuel Jugs
Drum Pump
MSD-6014, Lightweight Lithium Battery, Alternator

What I know I need to buy:
Roller
Fuel & Radiator Lines
Gears
Wings (if roller doesn't come with em)
Shocks

I plan on running used tires. Buying used shocks and having them re-valved. Seats: What do y'all recommend?

What kind of spare parts do I need to bring that'll fit in the bed of a pickup (hauling an open trailer)?
motorhead748 (Offline)
  #2 6/11/18 12:48 PM
Some kind of way to push the car around the pits would be nice if you've only got one crew member, golf cart, small quad or anything. Dizz Wilson used a thing he'd likely built with a 5hp Briggs on it.
Fuel jugs, lighting on the back of the trailor with a small generator would be nice.
You can race with a lot less than what most have. I was able to race & win on a shoestring.
2 Likes: Can26, PIT CART
Shabillac (Offline)
  #3 6/11/18 12:57 PM
Good idea with the lighting. I will be by myself 99.9% of the time I imagine unfortunately so I don't know how I'm gonna get motor heat or get to the pushoff chute... Kinda one of my "We'll figure it out when we get there" deal.
motorhead748 (Offline)
  #4 6/11/18 1:10 PM
Originally Posted by Shabillac:
Good idea with the lighting. I will be by myself 99.9% of the time I imagine unfortunately so I don't know how I'm gonna get motor heat or get to the pushoff chute... Kinda one of my "We'll figure it out when we get there" deal.
. Golf carts are super ez to use and can be bought cheap. Towards the end of my racing when I was going alone more there was a 10-12 yr old boy that hung around the track. I soon enlisted him to push me around when needed. I told him he could ride around on my golf cart but when it was time to push I didn't wanna have to look for him. He was very good and always there and it only cost me a burger and pop a nite.
Shabillac (Offline)
  #5 6/11/18 2:27 PM
Originally Posted by motorhead748:
. Golf carts are super ez to use and can be bought cheap. Towards the end of my racing when I was going alone more there was a 10-12 yr old boy that hung around the track. I soon enlisted him to push me around when needed. I told him he could ride around on my golf cart but when it was time to push I didn't wanna have to look for him. He was very good and always there and it only cost me a burger and pop a nite.
True, all I've got is an old Yamaha Zuma scooter for now that don't have brakes and won't idle. lol
TQ29m (Offline)
  #6 6/11/18 2:31 PM
Well, spare parts are kinda easy, every time you replace something, nut, bolt part or what ever, if it ain't broke slap in two, add that to yur spare parts bucket, I went for a long time on a shoe, didn't have a string, someone will usually feel sorry for ya, and give ya a push, or tuck ya in, then I went big time, got me a 90cc 2 stroke 4 wheeler, and really got popular, I was pushing everyone it seemed, 90cc 2 stroke is plenty, and easy to hide, I did it for years, me and the wife, and she didn't drive! We raced all over the country, course that was when there were a lot of folks just like us, so you help someone, you need help, you got it, I see how it is now, it's a bit more elite, so it may be a lt harder to do on your own. Good luck! Bob

"Being old, isn't half as much fun, as getting there"! Ole Robert I!
Backitin (Offline)
  #7 6/11/18 2:59 PM
Originally Posted by Shabillac:
True, all I've got is an old Yamaha Zuma scooter for now that don't have brakes and won't idle. lol
R speedwaybikes don't have brakes or idle either, sounds like you're ready to race with us.