IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum

Register! Forgot Password?
jjones752 (Offline)
  #21 1/5/18 9:48 AM
Digital bleeders allowed and SFI seats required for all National classes; no cockpit adjustments and mandatory front axle tethers for Sprint Cars in addition to the other 2 rules.
Out of curiosity, why does USAC get so much grief for stuff like this? There are several organizations out there that already have almost exactly the same rule or words to the effect that "all adjusters should be disabled or out of reach of the driver"...

Jim Jones
Midwest Thunder Speed2 Midget #97
5 Likes: flagboy55, interpreter66, Pat O'Connor Fan, racer5c, Wayne Davis
luckybuc97 (Offline)
  #22 1/5/18 9:58 AM

Rick Roth
treecitytornado (Offline)
  #23 1/5/18 11:50 AM
It may be because they claim it's saving teams money, when in fact, the shock cables and a good used Shadow weight jacker are pennies in comparison to the High dollar adjustable gas shocks.
4 Likes: 2rock21, jdull99, motorhead748, sjracer26
JohnnyWingo (Offline)
  #24 1/5/18 11:51 AM
$40k engines.....
treecitytornado (Offline)
  #25 1/5/18 12:02 PM
Engines too!
Racer12 (Offline)
  #26 1/5/18 12:05 PM
The best racing takes place with cars that handle like crap! If cars don’t handle well then no one can run away from the field. Also puts the mechanic more into the outcome of the race as they should be. I want to see who is the best driver, NOT the best driver who can adjust his car on the track!

Bob
3 Likes: billw, flagboy55, robert gatten
Racer12 (Offline)
  #27 1/5/18 12:06 PM
This rule change had nothing to do with saving money, never was intended to do that. This will improve the ontrack product immensely!

Bob
7 Likes: billw, chrismattlin, flagboy55, luckybuc97, robert gatten, sprint28, trannyman
Fred Zirzow (Offline)
  #28 1/5/18 1:14 PM
Originally Posted by JohnnyWingo:
$40k engines.....
We won 6 races in 2016 with a 12k motor including 50k at badlands.

Fred Zirzow
20 Likes: 2rock21, addictedtodirt, Bland65, Bobv, Charles Nungester, chrismattlin, dirtnonwingfan, flagboy55, i love dirt track racing, JDFAST, Jim Gardner, Kydehart, luckybuc97, mc/rider, otgracing17, PIT CART, robert gatten, sprint28, sprinter31, TEST19
Charles Nungester (Offline)
  #29 1/5/18 1:15 PM
I've seen the FC seats prevent or severely reduce incursion on the driver half a dozen times including last years chili bowl.

To say they haven't saved a ton more lives than have been lost is just ignorant. I watch a driver back into the wall once at not so great a clip and his chassis broke in at least six places collapsing around the seat. The seat held. He was fine.

They also hold the driver under his belts preventing submarine out from under them and being tossed around like a rag in the car, If the upper torso starts moving side to side, your shoulders don't hold the belt on you. they slip off.

Im for a driver choosing what they think is best for them. However the studies are pretty conclusive.

Charles Nungester
11 Likes: Billythekid16, JDFAST, Jonr, Kydehart, luckybuc97, midget39, Ray3, rmr6nm, sjracer26, sprint72, Wayne Davis
motorhead748 (Offline)
  #30 1/5/18 2:45 PM
Originally Posted by revjimk:
Seems like that would be about experience & knowhow, which can't be bought... you think there are a bunch of setup experts sitting around waiting for a better offer?
I was being a little sarcastic but in truth Everyone has a price.