IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum

Register! Forgot Password?
Aces&Eights (Offline)
  #1 2/21/17 5:35 PM
When and why is running 5 bar an advantage? I see some teams with only 5 bar chassis and sometimes they utilize it and sometimes they don't. Other teams seem to never bother, is it just preference or does it enhance performance?
sp6967 (Offline)
  #2 2/21/17 8:26 PM
its just to make people ask questions

"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the Government, and I'm here to help." President Ronald Reagan
3 Likes: Can26, interpreter66, TQ29m
the1jet17 (Offline)
  #3 2/21/17 8:45 PM
This is why I don't like to run a 5 bar.

Jesse Hockett at Bloomington. Throttle stuck and he set the front end down real hard. Fast forward to 1:40.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ce2SMtDdVZU
racer5c (Offline)
  #4 2/21/17 9:14 PM
Originally Posted by the1jet17:

Jesse Hockett at Bloomington. Throttle stuck and he set the front end down real hard. Fast forward to 1:40.

please explain to me how the anti roll bar caused that?
Go Fast (Offline)
  #5 2/21/17 9:29 PM
When the throttle released and the nose slammed down, the sway bar tube dug in the track and launched the car. I think that was a Maxim and there is no kick up in the lower rail out to the sway bar tube. That makes the tube very low. Look at Dutcher or Brady Short"s cars as examples.

Gary Ooley

I never had a bad day, just some more challenging than others!
Mattmac05 (Offline)
  #6 2/21/17 9:30 PM
Haven't tested one yet, plan to at some point, but they can turn a bike into a nasty flip, don't run one currently. Got in to the back of someone one night front end dove over and caught the sway bar and took a ride. They have removable ones you can mount and dismount easily. If you get over on the rf hard they can dig into the dirt, can turn a slight rollover or no flip, into a wild one.
TQ29m (Online)
  #7 2/21/17 9:45 PM

"Being old, isn't half as much fun, as getting there"! Ole Robert I!
TQ29m (Online)
  #8 2/21/17 9:47 PM
Originally Posted by sp6967:
its just to make people ask questions
Looks like it is working good too. Bob

"Being old, isn't half as much fun, as getting there"! Ole Robert I!
TKRacing (Offline)
  #9 2/21/17 10:03 PM
Originally Posted by Go Fast:
When the throttle released and the nose slammed down, the sway bar tube dug in the track and launched the car. I think that was a Maxim and there is no kick up in the lower rail out to the sway bar tube. That makes the tube very low. Look at Dutcher or Brady Short"s cars as examples.
It was a DRC
Aces&Eights (Offline)
  #10 2/22/17 11:13 AM
Originally Posted by the1jet17:

Uhm, I'm not trying to be contradictory, but I watched that several times, paused, slow-mo'd and nothing I saw was effected at all by there being an anti-roll bar up front... You say the throttle hangs, then he carries the frontend(wheelie), but then the car starts to pitch over to the right before the frontend even drops. If you watch, the rear actually jumps up off the ground before the nose can dig in. There was some sort of failure, but nothing to suggest the anti-roll bar was related to it. If I'm missing something please explain.