IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum

Register! Forgot Password?
smarkley78 (Offline)
  #1 12/12/11 9:56 PM
Any help would be GREATLY appreciated! My great uncle's brother was a USAC midget driver in the late 40s and 50s, his name was Paul "Baldy" Howe. He died in a racing incident in South Bend, IN in I believe 1958. My family only has one picture, and I'm in the process of having my parents scan it for me. We really don't know anything else about him, but my husband and I are racing fans, and I would like to make a scrapbook if I can find enough information regarding his career. I didn't even know about him until my grandfather passed away, which was about 4 years ago. Thank you so much for any assistance you can give me! Any internet resources would be helpful too!
Beer Goggles (Offline)
  #2 12/15/11 10:47 PM
I\\\'m afraid that USAC was not in existence until 1956.

AAA was the national sanctioning body up to 1955.
SteveE (Offline)
  #3 12/18/11 10:01 PM
Paul was from the Indianapolis area. Give me an email address and I can send you what I have.
smarkley78 (Offline)
  #4 12/19/11 4:14 PM
Thank you so much SteveE!! I really appreciate it, and I know my family will too. My dad and uncle were just little kids when he passed away and they only somewhat remember him. I can't wait to surprise them with any information I can find!
sprint10e (Offline)
  #5 2/18/12 9:45 PM
I remember the race at South Bend as a young teenager. My father attended the race but wouldn't let me go for some reason. I remember that it definately was a USAC race and his death was covered in the South Bend Tribune. Their archives might be a resource. I have also seen his name mentioned a couple times in articles about racing in Indiana "back in the day" although I don't recall where I read the articles. Good Luck in your search. Monte Edison