IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum

Register! Forgot Password?
fish (Offline)
  #1 6/2/11 1:22 AM
Hi Everyone. I'm working on a project for a local newspaper on Avilla Speedway. The track closed in the 90s. I would like to get some memories from any drivers that raced there and fans that used to visit the northern Indiana track for a story.

Please e-mail with any memories of the place. I'll need your name if I use any of the comments for a story.

jfisher@kpcnews.net

Thanks, Jim Fisher
short track scott (Offline)
  #2 6/2/11 7:02 AM
Talk to Hurryin' Hank Lower. Ed Kenens got his only feature win there on the pavement with SoD/AVSS.

The best story I remember is Denny England getting dumped in his heat race. He went over to confront the offender only to have a future 4 time nascar champ put his hands up and say 'please don't kill me!'
Posted via Mobile Device
flaggeravilla (Offline)
  #3 6/30/11 6:02 PM
I was the flagman at the speedway during the mid and late 80's. Before that I was one of the scorers. My dad worked for Howard Bice at his Auto repair shop, when they got off work they would pick up David and I to pick up rocks during the building of the track. I was there when Mel Kenyon,Ed Howe,Mark Martin,Moose Meyers,Jeff Gordon and a man that was like a second father the late great Joe Wallace raced at the track. If you would like to know more ask away.
sc17x (Offline)
  #4 6/30/11 7:46 PM
Jess Yates ,lil Joe Benet Fred Elkins are drivers that raced there too ,Moose Myers was a childhood hero of mine. After it went 2 dirt SOD and the all stars put on some awesome winged sprint shows!
lots of fond memories!!
Posted via Mobile Device
nathans1012 (Offline)
  #5 6/30/11 10:54 PM
Anyone have any pictures from the track; Arial View, Wrecks / Crashes, Racing Action, ect...??

2024 Season: Race 1 - April 20th Brownstown (Crate LM). Unlike many I don't discriminate on what racing I choose to watch.
T&A Racing (Offline)
  #6 7/1/11 4:28 AM
Motocross track was mediocre at best. Decent layout, ****** soil and track prep. But not sure about the circle track. Always wish I could have seen an event there though.
treecitytornado (Offline)
  #7 7/1/11 10:52 AM
I believe the first 2 Hoosier Fall Classics were there before they started having them at Lawrenceburg.
Posted via Mobile Device
jim goerge (Offline)
  #8 7/1/11 10:57 AM
Originally Posted by treecitytornado:
I believe the first 2 Hoosier Fall Classics were there before they started having them at Lawrenceburg.
Posted via Mobile Device
I think you:re right . I believe Ricky Hood won the first one and Randy Kinsner won the second one.
jim goerge (Offline)
  #9 7/2/11 4:10 AM
Originally Posted by jim goerge:
I think you:re right . I believe Ricky Hood won the first one and Randy Kinsner won the second one.
Wait I was thinking of the first couple of sprint weeks years ago. Old age makes it hard to remember lol :2:
fish (Offline)
  #10 7/2/11 2:04 PM
Originally Posted by nathans1012:
Anyone have any pictures from the track; Arial View, Wrecks / Crashes, Racing Action, ect...??
Go to my site and look at the past years listings, you'll find some Avilla.

www.fscpictorial.com