Sandy Lowe (Offline)
  #1 3/13/11 10:30 PM
Is this picture labeled correctly?

Mike M 67 (Offline)
  #2 3/13/11 10:38 PM
Yes, You are correct.
Sandy Lowe (Offline)
  #3 3/13/11 10:50 PM
Is this also a sail panel, just a smaller version?

www.manvelmotorsports.com

Also, are the panels on both sides of the cage called sail panels? Or are the panels on the right side called something else?
9racing (Offline)
  #4 3/13/11 11:22 PM
yes.
midget31 (Offline)
  #5 3/13/11 11:52 PM
The right side is often referred to as an arm guard.
throb (Offline)
  #6 3/14/11 6:43 AM
lower panel is usually called a "kicker panel"

Rob Botts
Larryoracing (Offline)
  #7 3/14/11 8:37 AM
Is the sail panel derived from the sail on a sail boat?

Thanks,

Larry Otani
TQ29m (Offline)
  #8 3/14/11 8:39 AM
Sandy, your first post was correct, side panels are below the seat, along the lower frame rails, the sail panel you have is correct, and on the right side, above the seat bottom, and lower frame rails, is the arm guard, to deflect debris out of the cockpit, and an occasional intrusion by a tire, even tho it is light weight in strength, it will deflect something that large. Call em what ya want, we know what you're talking about. Nerf bars are something else, they have a lot of names, kickouts, nerfing irons, battle bars, still all the same purpose. Bob

"Being old, isn't half as much fun, as getting there"! Ole Robert I!
c47 (Offline)
  #9 3/14/11 12:32 PM
sail panels are the pieces that cover the "triangle" on the side of the cage. arm guard goes from the hood/dash to the sail panel on the right side (sometimes also used on the left ie:KKR cars. side panels are the lower panels on both sides and sometimes refer to the large panels on the left and/or right of the hood, if used ie: jj yeley's F5 cars and also kunz' midgets.
Sandy Lowe (Offline)
  #10 3/14/11 1:30 PM
Thanks to everyone for the replies.

I thought I knew what sail panels were but then I came across a rule that said no sail panels on any part of the car. It seems that almost all sprint cars in Indiana have some sort of a sail panel (which is what I thought originally).