IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum

Register! Forgot Password?
openwheelKT (Offline)
  #1 10/19/10 5:30 PM
The 30 for 30 series on ESPN is doing a piece on Tim Richmond tonight. No matter the topic, they are VERY well done. Tim was a HELL of shoe no matter what he drove. He led a "fast" life on and off the track so it should be interesting. Check it out.

BTW - There are some USAC highlights below the post about the show on ESPN.

http://blog.indianapolismotorspeedwa...and-go-oct-19/
racefan20 (Offline)
  #2 10/19/10 5:32 PM
Originally Posted by openwheelKT:
The 30 for 30 series on ESPN is doing a piece on Tim Richmond tonight. No matter the topic, they are VERY well done. Tim was a HELL of shoe no matter what he drove. He led a "fast" life on and off the track so it should be interesting. Check it out.

BTW - There are some USAC highlights below the post about the show on ESPN.

http://blog.indianapolismotorspeedwa...and-go-oct-19/
I met Tim a couple of times, my favorite all-time driver, cant wait to see this!

John Hoover

“To whom little is not enough, nothing is enough.” Epicurus
short track scott (Offline)
  #3 10/19/10 6:18 PM
I must admit had Tim Richmond made it to today nascab would be an entirely different industry. Of course, he might have told 'em to get stuffed, bought a big boat and become a pirate by now too. He was what other wish they could be when called a natural.

I won't be able to catch it tonight, but I'll find it somewhere.

RIP Tim, they're still talking about you
Posted via Mobile Device
Speedracer (Offline)
  #4 10/19/10 8:44 PM
did espn just go out for anyone else
Posted via Mobile Device
smith19 (Offline)
  #5 10/19/10 8:45 PM
who owned the white #38 he drove in usac. yes he was a great driver. even earnhardt said he was one of the best he'd ever seen.

CHRIS SMITH
racer-x (Offline)
  #6 10/19/10 9:09 PM
Thanks for telling us about the show openwheelkT. That show was really good. Man i dream about how cool that was to grow up in those years.Its hard to hear our leader tell the country how we dont want to go back to how things USED to be!
cowboyhar69 (Offline)
  #7 10/19/10 9:10 PM
I remember seeing Tim Richmond in the #38 at Salem sometime in the mid to late 70's...Marv Fish might be able to help on this. If my faded memory serves me right wasn't the car owned by Dave and Mary Jo Hodson?

Tim Wolffrum aka Cowboy
Ovalmeister (Offline)
  #8 10/19/10 9:30 PM
Originally Posted by Speedracer:
did espn just go out for anyone else
Posted via Mobile Device
Yes, they went off the air. If you're reading this in time, it's on again tonight at 11pm eastern, on ESPN2.
David.
Jerry Shaw (Offline)
  #9 10/19/10 9:32 PM
Other than the fact they they kind of glossed over the subject of the falsified drug test that prompted his suspension a bit, this was a very good documentary. They did a great job of painting a picture of a rare racing talent and a very unique personality. All of us who followed Tim's career, back in the day, already knew what a special racing star he was. Maybe this film will serve to let racing fans of subsequent generations know who Tim Richmond was. NASCAR and the racing media have never really given him his due, IMO. This work did. I know watching this brought a tear to my eye several times.

Jerry

A man is about as big as the things that make him angry.

Winston Churchill
6 Likes: Amatiforever, Bruce Harrison, IndyBound, mtek56, Ovalmeister, Pat O'Connor Fan
Ovalmeister (Offline)
  #10 10/19/10 9:47 PM
Originally Posted by cowboyhar69:
I remember seeing Tim Richmond in the #38 at Salem sometime in the mid to late 70's...Marv Fish might be able to help on this. If my faded memory serves me right wasn't the car owned by Dave and Mary Jo Hodson?

Tim Wolffrum aka Cowboy

That's correct Tim. He drove the #38 briefly for Dave and Mary Jo Hodson from Richmond, Indiana. My two older brothers and I were crew members for Hodson back then.
What a great experience it was. Several interesting "charactors" drove the #38. Rice, Parsons, Richmond, Hicks, Super Duke and Gary Irvin were the ones that spring to mind. Stories I wish I could tell but kids read this websight...
Here's a photo I snapped at Salem, I believe in 1978, with Irvin driving that day.
Sure do miss Tim Richmond and Larry Rice. True racing personalities.
David.

9 Likes: Amatiforever, AustinSprinter, cowboyhar69, davidm, IndyBound, Seadog, skids59, smith19