IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum

Register! Forgot Password?
Dave Argabright (Offline)
  #1 5/4/10 10:28 AM
Congrats to all the inductees, hope you can join us at the luncheon on May 29 at Anderson Speedway!

SIX TO LITTLE 500 HALL OF FAME IN ‘10

(Anderson, Ind.) Six well-known Little 500 competitors are slated for induction into the Little 500 Hall of Fame here on Saturday, May 29, part of “Little 500 Week” in Anderson.

From the historic era (1948 to 1975) are G.E. “Woody” Wood, Ray Wright, and Tom York, while from the modern era comes Donnie Adams, Gary Fedewa, and Gene Nolen.

Wood, of Mishawaka, Ind., was a prominent owner and mechanic at the Little 500 for many years beginning in the early 1960s. He owned the machine in which Dick Good won in 1964, and was the winning crew chief in 1977 with Jeff Bloom.

Wright, of Elkhart, Ind., made eight Little 500 starts as a driver from 1964 to ’74, finishing 2nd in 1969 and 3rd in ’68 and ’72. He also won the pole position in 1968.

York, of South Bend, Ind., was the 1969 pole position winner at the Little 500. He made five starts in the sprint car classic, finishing 5th in 1964 and ’66.

Adams, a native of Alexandria, Ind., made eight Little 500 starts as a driver from 1990 to ’97, finishing 3rd in 1992 and ’96. He won the pole position in 1992, and led three races for a total of 163 laps.

Fedewa, of Holt, Mich., made 12 starts as a driver from 1978 to 2004, winning the pole position in 1997 and ’98. He scored four top-5 finishes including a runner-up finish in 1995, and led five races for a total of 210 laps. In the span of his career Fedewa completed 4,755 laps at the Little 500.

Nolen, of Greenwood, Ind., fielded 15 Little 500 entries as a car owner from 1996 to present. His cars have scored four top-5 finishes, including a runner-up finish in 2008 with Tony Elliott at the wheel. Elliott and Nolen won the pole position at the 2009 Little 500.

The inductions will take place at Anderson Speedway at 11:00 a.m. on Saturday, May 29, with support from Anderson Speedway, Hoosier Tire Midwest, Bell Racing Company, Big Joe’s Services, and the Little 500 Festival. Tickets are available to the public, with information available at (765) 288-4587.
7 Likes: 767, dirtnonwingfan, FishBurger, IndyBound, Midwest Connection, Mud Packer
Kirk Spridgeon (Offline)
  #2 5/4/10 1:22 PM
Just wanted to comment on this quickly. Gene Nolen has been a staunch supporter of this race. It's always a pleasure to see his cars there, and find out who he has put in them...
Donnie Adams was a member of this message board and truly loved Anderson and the Little 500. I will be happy to see him go into the Hall of Fame. He was always a great friend to me, and going to this race every year makes me think of him.
And if you want to see someone to whom this race means a lot, look to his son, Donnie Adams, Jr. Donnie is a great kid, and seeing him finish third in last year's race was a real thrill. I have seen, in person, the amount of emotion he has concerning this race. Being there when he qualified on the pole, and when he finished third, were two of the coolest moments I have seen in racing. The Little 500 is one of those races that does that to people. It looks like this year will be another great event...
6 Likes: 767, ColoradoFan, FishBurger, Pat O'Connor Fan, speed bump
767 (Offline)
  #3 5/4/10 2:01 PM
This is deffinatly a very special race. The 1 race I look forward to every year. Few comments about this group, Kirk was exactly right when he mentioned "and find out who he has put in them" talking about who nolan puts in his cars. They always run hard and never give up. His car can be 10 laps down with 50 to go and that car will be pushed hard to finish 9 laps down. Plus i love the sound of the 6 . To Donnie Adams, his stats are not spectacular for this race, but the man was more than just a driver for the race. He became an ambassador. I can remember hearing interviews on regular race nights with him talking about the race. At first i really did not like his driving style. Thought he drove way to hard and tore up to much. It wasn't until after he quit racing that I understood why he raced so hard. Honestly his spirit has been missed. I wish I could go back and watch those races with that new knowledge. Its impossible to describe in words.
#1jackhewittfan (Offline)
  #4 5/5/10 4:33 AM
good class starting to get excited for my favorite race of the year.
Posted via Mobile Device
wildthing1h (Offline)
  #5 5/5/10 1:03 PM
Great field of guys to add to the hall of fame. Gene always has top drivers in his cars. Donnie is still missed but to see jr run it shows what kind of racing family the adams are. I've known that whole family my whole life and its great to see donnie get into the hall and the others as well.
Posted via Mobile Device
JakeMoore (Offline)
  #6 5/5/10 1:46 PM
Great group going in. I'm thrilled to see Donnie Sr. go in. He was such a great man and is missed by many. He and Donnie Jr. really got my racing career going and I'll never forget them for that. Good luck this year Donnie hopefully this is the year you bring it home.
Mud Packer (Offline)
  #7 5/5/10 3:28 PM
Another fine group selected for the Little 500 HOF. A special thanks to Dave Argabright for his continued efforts with Anderson Speedway and the Little 500 HOF committee. If you ever talk to Dave and mention the Little 500, you will hear the passion in his voice and see it in his eyes. This race has a life long effect on so many people, including me. It is really hard to describe to anyone who hasn't seen it. I am ready for the 62nd rendition of the "Greatest Short Track Race".

Mike

Be nice to people on the way up. You might need them on the way down. Jimmy Durante
Checker'd Past (Offline)
  #8 5/5/10 10:14 PM
Ditto.....can't wait to see my 62nd Little 500!