IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum

Register! Forgot Password?
Midwest Connection (Offline)
  #1 9/12/09 7:18 AM
Many IOW readers will remember this Indy car race at Atlanta Speedway, Georgia in 1965.

Photo source:
Motorsport Annual Pictorial 1965 - 1966 Edition, Published by International Motorsports News,
Publisher Carl Fredricksen, Hamburg, NY

Have a good day...see you at the races

Rich - Arnold, Missouri

1965 Atlanta 250 winner Johnny Rutherford
Burcham photo

4th place - # 59 Jim Hurtibise in the STP Novi & 8th place - # 4 Don Branson in the Wynn's Spl.
3 Likes: Bruce Harrison, ColoradoFan, turn4
i4bikes (Offline)
  #2 9/12/09 8:48 AM
I wasn't there but remember reading about it. Dad had me at Indy that year. All you need to do is look at those PICs and see why all the cars became rear engine cars. At risk of starting a off subject thread the three cars in your PICs have 3 kinds engines. I miss those days. Thanks for the PICs.
Al Pierce (Offline)
  #3 9/12/09 9:00 AM
Beginning of the end for Indy Cars and me. The rear engine skateboards just have no feel or sense of racers or racing in my opinion. My last Indy 500 in '65 or '66 was like watching an RC event. Fine for those who enjoy it but just not my cup of tea. Was at the track once or twice in the 80s for practice or maybe quals on comp tickets and had comps for a couple of races in the 90s but didn't use them. I think by then a goodly amount of the tickets were comps. I'd be there for every event if they were still running the front engine cars with drivers I recognize from short tracks around the country. I know, I know...living in the past!! Good pix tho. Especially the bottom one.
IndyBound (Offline)
  #4 9/12/09 9:26 AM
Great pictures Rich!!! I love seeing all the old pictures from your extensive collection. Thanks for sharing with us.

Patti
RacinFool (Offline)
  #5 9/12/09 10:36 AM
Good stuff!
dberrio (Offline)
  #6 9/12/09 11:49 AM
oooooooh the good old days!!!!!!!
Ovalmeister (Offline)
  #7 9/12/09 2:51 PM
Originally Posted by dberrio:
oooooooh the good old days!!!!!!!
Gloucester? Cool, I used to live in Hamilton and worked in Essex. Chased the NEMA midgets and supers for years.
David.

---------- Post added at 01:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:51 PM ----------

Originally Posted by Midwest Connection:
Many IOW readers will remember this Indy car race at Atlanta Speedway, Georgia in 1965.

Photo source:
Motorsport Annual Pictorial 1965 - 1966 Edition, Published by International Motorsports News,
Publisher Carl Fredricksen, Hamburg, NY

Have a good day...see you at the races

Rich - Arnold, Missouri

1965 Atlanta 250 winner Johnny Rutherford
Burcham photo

4th place - # 59 Jim Hurtibise in the STP Novi & 8th place - # 4 Don Branson in the Wynn's Spl.

Sweet sweet photos Rich. You need to start posting photos like that on the link below. It's up to around 28 pages so far I think.
David.

http://www.trackforum.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=126644