IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum

Register! Forgot Password?
unclebuck (Offline)
  #1 9/6/09 1:11 PM
Going thru old racing papers I saw a sprintcar racer named steve shultz mentioned. In the eary 70's he seemed to be a consistent winner in the Ohio/indy area. It was mentioned that he was controversial. Why? A jerry Clum pictorial showed that he might have been originally from Miss0uri. I belive he lived in the indy area. What happed to him?i
Thank you
Dale Weis
Valparaiso IN
streihawk8 (Offline)
  #2 9/6/09 1:32 PM
He was a pretty good outlaw racer, an outstanding fabricator. I believe he was seriously injured in a sprint car and never returned to his former self.
Speedwrench (Offline)
  #3 9/6/09 10:47 PM
Steve was from Chilicothe , Missouri and the results you mentioned came in the car of Lowell Sauder out of Ohio.
Steve was hurt some time later in a USAC race I think. As best I can remember, after the rehab didn't go well he went back to Missouri.
SUPERDUKE (Offline)
  #4 9/7/09 1:42 PM
Hes been dead for years!!
unclebuck (Offline)
  #5 9/7/09 8:06 PM
Thanks everyone for the info.
Just a comment on the human condition. "never retured to his former self", "rehab didn't go well", he's been dead for years." Seems like people are easily forgotten about if their not big names, or maybe well liked.I can remember donating money to Hewett(twice), wolfgang and Tony diano(after his terrible fire at Toledo). These were all big names. If your not a big name they just forget you. In the last 38 years I can think of any number of people permanently injured and just seemingly forgot about. You can only hope they weren't forgotten by their families. That 's mostly crap, that saying that "racing takes care of it's own. "

Dale Weis
valparaiso In
streihawk8 (Offline)
  #6 9/7/09 9:17 PM
check pm