IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum

Register! Forgot Password?
Midwest Connection (Offline)
  #1 9/6/09 7:46 AM
Back a few years ago, on 28 August 1966, I attended my first ever USAC sprint car race. USAC sprint cars racing for 100 laps at Oswego Speedway, New York on the fast 5/8th's asphalt.

JMO - Of all the USAC sprint car races I have seen in my life, this was one of the greatest field of open wheel drivers I have ever watched race.

USAC sprint cars at Oswego Speedway, NY on 28 August 1966 - drivers racing this day:
Mario Andretti
Don Branson
Gordy Johncock
Johnny Rutherford
Bobby Unser
Roger McCluskey
Greg Weld
Wib Spalding
Mickey Shaw
Bruce Jacobi
Dee Jones
Sam Sessions
Bob Smith
Al Smith
John Tenney
Gary Congdon
Tom York
Earl Halaquist
Larry Dickson
Chuck Taylor
Billy Foster
Dave Lundy
Al Loquasto
Bobby Black
Chuck Allen
Ralph Ligouri
Norm Brown
Bob Pratt
Chuck Booth

Fast time: Don Branson in the #6 Leader Card Offy at 20.52

Consy top 5:
1. Tom York
2. Al Smith
3. Chuck Taylor
4. Wib Spalding
5. Billy Foster

100 lap feature top 5:
1. Mario Andretti
2. Don Branson
3. Roger McCluskey
4. Norm Brown
5. Sam Sessions

Have a good day...see you at the races

Rich - Arnold, Missouri
2 Likes: billwill7, Modocer 57
IndyBound (Offline)
  #2 9/6/09 8:04 AM
Rich,

Thanks for helping me relive memories from the 60's. On a side note you are missing picture perfect weather for this years running of the Oswego Classic. Doug Didero has the pole.

Safe racing,

Patti
Midwest Connection (Offline)
  #3 9/6/09 8:22 AM
Patti,
You bet, the weather at Oswego is going to be super.

Doug Didero is a 'hot shoe' by all means. Go! Otto Sitterly, hey what can I say, I have been a fan of his for a long while. And, Indy vet and open wheel great Davey Hamilton in John Nicotra's other supermod - a potent racing team indeed.

Have a good day at the Oswego Classic

Keep me posted on the days events up that way in ole' Oswego

Thanks, Rich
IndyBound (Offline)
  #4 9/7/09 9:05 PM
Rich, you called it the Nicotra team certainly was potent with Otto and Davey then they added Bobby Santos to the team, putting Davey in the newly acquired Extreme Chassis. Sitterly made his move pass Didero on lap 160 for the lead and never looked back. Didero and Davey ran 2nd and 3rd until lap 199 when the two came together in turn 1. Doug was able to continue however Hamilton's car was damaged and he ended up 10th. This crash extented the race by seven laps. Otto Sitterly certainly dominated at Oswego this year, 2009 Oswego Speedway Supermodified Track Champion and his first Budweiser International Classic victory.

You needed to be there to see the smiles on Otto and John's faces, although I didn't get to see the race I did get to see them both about a half hour after the race. They were just beaming!!!!

I did manage to see a replay of a good portion of the race last night at Pinner's.

Timmy Jedrzejek had a good weekend winning Friday nights Winged Super Nationals and filling in for Todd Stowell in the Classic finishing sixth in a car he had never driven before.

Race of Champion's this weekend for the modifieds and Oswego Speedways season is over for another year.

Safe racing,

Patti