IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum

Register! Forgot Password?
rjmoul (Offline)
  #1 10/23/07 8:07 PM
I hate to have to post something like this.

A fellow member of the Mini Indy Quarter Midget Club had their trailer and cars stolen last night. The scumbags who did this has broken the heart of two young racers.

Racing community, keep your eyes out.

Here are the details:

URGENT: Please keep your eyes and ears open for our boy's race cars
and the race trailer as they were stolen from Avon Self Storage in
Avon, IN last night. The trailer was a 8x20 Gray United UXT
with "Driver: Nathan Toney" on the side. The three cars were all
Nervo: a 33" 2000 Extreme (black and white), a 35" Extreme 02(red and
yellow)n a 37" Kong (plain white). If you see or hear any thing don't
hesitate to call Avon PD 317-272-4485 ext 326 or Beth and Scott Toney
at 317-626-5726 or 317-272-7483.
It was believed to be pulled out of the storage facility with a stolen
motorhome.
There will be a reward offered.

http://www.miniindyspeedway.com/stolen.htm

Regards,

Bob Moul
Melmo (Offline)
  #2 10/24/07 5:12 AM
Trailer Sightings 10/23/2007;

1). The grey 8x20 trailer (In Plate #556367) was spotted around 7:30 am in Plainfield, IN @ HWY's 40 and 267 being towed with the green 2 tone motorhome used to steal the trailer. 2). Then again in Carbondale, IL around 3:30 pm on HWY 51. The stolen motor home and trailer appear to be traveling together with a red pickup truck that has a flatbed trailer in tow and in a south westerly direction.

We could be getting close here so, please remember to keep your ears and eyes open. If you spot the thieves anywhere please call you local 911 immediately and report them. We have alerted the entire Quarter Midget Community, all local Police and IN/IL State Police authorities as well. We just hope to get the boys cars back.

Contact: Beth or Scott Toney by phone @ 317-626-5726 - 317-272-7483 - email bethtoney2003@yahoo.com with any additional information or sightings.

Thanks to everyone for all your support and concern.
pgray (Offline)
  #3 10/24/07 10:52 PM
Please update any developments or the eventual outcome of this...
Many times , if not found in 24 hours , the contents are lost.
This is why there are so many plain white and unmarked trailers. It's a shame !

Paul Gray
www.paulgray28.com
rjmoul (Offline)
  #4 10/26/07 7:02 AM
Update:

Posted @ 8:35 pm 10-25-2007.

UPDATE: Trailer Recovered.............Cars Still Missing..............

I wanted to give everyone an update: They have recovered our trailer tonight south of Terre Haute in Sullivan County. They did say there were parts and things left inside but to what extent we do not know and will not until we pick it up tomorrow morning. Unfortunately, all 3 cars are gone so, please make sure everyone keeps an eye out on the internet and at all the other clubs. I have notified most clubs around the area so, we are now counting on the quarter midget community to hopefully get our boy's cars back.

The cars are more than likely still in the Plainfield, Indiana area according to recent eyewitness accounts. We are getting closer here so, please remember to keep your ears and eyes open and keep the tips and information coming. If you spot the cars anywhere please contact us or the Avon PD 317-272-4485 ext 326 with any tips.

We believe that the Illinois tip that we had was not valid. It was a nice guy that thought he saw it and wanted to help out but it looks like they have remained in Indiana.

The Toneys'
bigmojo5
  #5 10/26/07 8:03 AM
Hope you have some luck getting the karts back. Having a close-knit community like exists in quarter midgets should help. I've always been impressed on how these groups are much like one big family.
At least, the trailer and some parts were recovered.
I was at Dave Dayton's Auction and Trade Show three or so years ago when a vendor's trailer, and almost all of his product, was stolen from the hotel parking lot.
I'm amazed this kind of thing doesn't happen more often. Remember a couple of years ago when one of the NASCAR's show cars was stolen somewhere over in Ohio while parked at a hotel.
Jim Morrison
rjmoul (Offline)
  #6 10/29/07 2:16 PM
Very lastest as I know it.

Per the Toneys':

"We are actually getting the trailer back today. These people drove the motorhome and trailer off a 40ft ditch and wrecked it in the country a little south of Terre Haute. There is some stuff left but cars, helmets, and a lot of race parts are gone. We have someone that spotted it coming out of an alley in Plainfield next to Justin Dorsey plumbing 118 E Main St the morning it went missing. We believe that they pulled it back in that neighborhood and looted it and are storing everything
somewhere in the area. If anyone sees someone trying to sell a bunch of radius rods and gears and of course any of the stuff from the cars, please let me and the police know. It has been a really bad week and I just want to hear something for the kids.
Hopefully we will get someone that sees something."

also

"Trailer was totaled this is what is missing: The Toneys sold parts at the races.

Things to be on the lookout for that they took:
3 Nervo cars as seen on http://miniindyspeedway.com/stolen.htm the red car is missing the front body, the other 2 are missing tail cones.
MANY Engine and axle gears
Impact mini champ helmet (very used)
Simpson shark helmet
neck braces and wrist restraints
MANY radius rods
Brand new still in the package Simpson gloves red and blue
Brand new still in the package Simpson wrist restraints red and blue

Above are all the things for quarter midgets that I could see possibly tracking them by so if you see anyone suspicious selling the above things, please contact the avon police and myself. I want these people caught so they can not do this to anyone else. They cut through the best locks we could buy, managed to steal a motorhome and 2 trailers out of a gated, locked, lit, facility with cameras (they were not working but I am not sure if they knew that). They will most likely do it again to someone else."
Eric C (Offline)
  #7 10/29/07 6:16 PM
Hey Bob,

I would be curious to know if the storage facility advertises that they have the cameras, If so they could be held liable for the theft, if they actually were not working at the time.

I know our insurance company advised us against putting up signs on our business property about cameras being in use for this reason.

I also agree with Paul on putting lettering on a trailer advertising "Racing" If I was a thief and had to choose between a couple of trailers I was going to break into and only one was lettered with Racing that would be the one i would break into.

Don't know if Toneys trailer was lettered or not but at any rate it really stinks and I hope they find the Scumbags that stole it.

Eric Cottongim