IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum

Register! Forgot Password?
Unlucky#9 (Offline)
  #1 5/23/23 8:34 AM
A question to the car owners out there, what do you do with your used fuel drums? I was just wondering if any of the suppliers had a recycle/reuse program? It seems a pretty big waste of resources to just use a drum once and then toss it in the scrap pile.

Casey Meyer
spankytoo (Offline)
  #2 5/23/23 10:28 AM
2 options:

1. You turn them back in every time you buy a drum of fuel.
2. You keep them and refill them at places that sell methanol out of a fuel pump. This is the cheaper option.

I don't know of anyone who has to scrap them. They're all reused.

If you look in your mirror and see a line of cars behind you, be kind and pull over.
Unlucky#9 (Offline)
  #3 5/23/23 11:30 AM
Originally Posted by spankytoo:
2 options:

1. You turn them back in every time you buy a drum of fuel.
2. You keep them and refill them at places that sell methanol out of a fuel pump. This is the cheaper option.

I don't know of anyone who has to scrap them. They're all reused.
I like option 2, for some reason I didn't think about that. Thank you

Casey Meyer
hoscalecody (Offline)
  #4 5/24/23 1:05 PM
Where we get our methanol we have the choice of refilling ours or exchange our empty one for a full one. When exchanging they check to make sure ours was clean and not in any shape damaged. Bad thing with exchanging is you may get a color you don't want. Personally I like the white ones, but when we exchanged last time I got a blue one. (Blue ones are harder to see through, to know for sure how much you have left.) I've heard they will pay $10-15 for good empty drums if people have left overs.

Corky