IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum

Register! Forgot Password?
PatrickMead#13 (Offline)
  #1 11/21/13 8:20 PM
Saw on their facebook post, they are moving the walls allowing runoff room, widening the corners, moving lights, etc. Sounds like big plans for them. Any more word on what's going on?
PJ Wright (Offline)
  #2 11/21/13 8:37 PM
I've been very impressed with the job the Hunter's and their team have done with Montpelier. My choice for promoter of the year.

You laugh because I'm different. I laugh because you're all the same. Copied from the back of the #16 supermodified.
3 Likes: BrianBSU23, Jrp4554, Shawn
treecitytornado (Offline)
  #3 11/21/13 9:13 PM
Lets bring Non-Wing Sprints back, please!!
2 Likes: FALCONEDDIE, johnnythunderhead
Mud Packer (Offline)
  #4 11/22/13 12:03 AM
Originally Posted by treecitytornado:
Lets bring Non-Wing Sprints back, please!!
Let's not. The last thing we need is another Saturday night dirt track running traditional sprint cars in this region. Leave the weekly sprint car racing to Lawrenceburg, Paragon, Lincoln Park, Waynesfield and Clay County. Montpelier has found a niche for midgets and they need to continue to grow this before trying to do any more. They currently run a quality show with the classes they have. Don't screw it up by adding another class that will only draw cars away from current Saturday night tracks. Nothing to be gained in my opinion.

Mike

Be nice to people on the way up. You might need them on the way down. Jimmy Durante
23 Likes: bandres21, BrentTFunk, Can26, captrat, dave, erich45, gb3g5mod, Gregg, hairracer44, hoscalecody, johnnythunderhead, jontheturboguy, larsonfan, Midget 89, nathans1012, Pat O'Connor Fan, PAW, PJ Wright, racerdare1101, RacinBabe, rchick, Scooter23, VSneader2
Jerry Shaw (Offline)
  #5 11/22/13 12:19 AM
Regardless of what they do or do not run, the headline of this story is that you have a track operator spending money to improve a racing facility, here in our state. That's always a good thing.

Jerry

A man is about as big as the things that make him angry.

Winston Churchill
18 Likes: BrianBSU23, Can26, DAD, Gregg, hairracer44, Jhouts06, jjones752, Mud Packer, nathans1012, NEMA88, Pat O'Connor Fan, PatrickMead#13, PJ Wright, smith19, spicoli, TNRustler, UberKuhlMan, WBR 3E
PatrickMead#13 (Offline)
  #6 11/22/13 10:14 AM
They are great people and always greet us with a smile at the gate. Its great to see them wanting to grow and as any business owner/operator knows all too well, you have to reinvest if you're gonna make it. I'm excited to see the new improvements and on a side note, they are doing some of these changes for a safety improvement as well. How many venues have you seen do that lately. Good job!!!
johnnythunderhead (Offline)
  #7 11/22/13 10:37 AM
I would like to see them move to fri or sun nite shows, and to continue to feature and grow midget racing in indiana
jjones752 (Offline)
  #8 11/22/13 10:47 AM
Saturdays are perfect for a working stiff who couldn't get off work early enough Friday to get his car to the track, and would be wiped out on Monday after running a Sunday show (like me, for example ). I truly appreciate the efforts that have been made to promote and grow an exciting and competitive class that gives the racers a variety of options in how they choose to participate. My plan is to be there as part of the "Chain Gang" every night the Montpelier Midget class runs. I'm looking forward to seeing the improvements that are being made; hopefully it will make the place even safer and more exciting for racers and fans alike.

Jim Jones
Midwest Thunder Speed2 Midget #97
2 Likes: Mud Packer, tim brown
DAD (Offline)
  #9 11/22/13 1:46 PM
Originally Posted by Mud Packer:
Let's not. The last thing we need is another Saturday night dirt track running traditional sprint cars in this region. Leave the weekly sprint car racing to Lawrenceburg, Paragon, Lincoln Park, Waynesfield and Clay County. Montpelier has found a niche for midgets and they need to continue to grow this before trying to do any more. They currently run a quality show with the classes they have. Don't screw it up by adding another class that will only draw cars away from current Saturday night tracks. Nothing to be gained in my opinion.
Mud

There is nothing like "COMPETITION" the weak will die off or get better and the strong will do the same. Either way they will be making things better for all of us. Without competition we do not have any incentive to do better.

Honest Dad himself
Mud Packer (Offline)
  #10 11/22/13 3:07 PM
Originally Posted by DAD:
Mud

There is nothing like "COMPETITION" the weak will die off or get better and the strong will do the same. Either way they will be making things better for all of us. Without competition we do not have any incentive to do better.

Honest Dad himself
Dad,

Nothing wrong with competition. HOWEVER, Montpelier Speedway has taken a chance and started racing midgets when NO ONE ELSE did. They have nurtured this class from only drawing a low car count to now having a very nice field of cars. It has taken time and they should be rewarded, which I think they will be, for providing a place to race midgets on dirt regularly.

In addition to running the midgets approximately twice a month they currently run the weekly classes of UMP modifieds, super streets, thunder cars, FWD compacts and mod lites. They are very organized and run a good and timely show due in part to having a curfew.

So now someone wants them to add ANOTHER class of cars (traditional sprints) to the racing card. WHY???????????????????????? As I mentioned before, you have 5 other dirt tracks in the region running traditional sprint cars on Saturday nights with USAC and MSCS series races sprinkled in. Add an occasional traditional sprint car race at Brownstown, Twin Cities and Plymouth. And from all of the reports and personal observations, they all seem to be doing it well. Tell me again why Montpelier should even consider adding sprint cars?

Mike

Be nice to people on the way up. You might need them on the way down. Jimmy Durante
3 Likes: Gregg, jjones752, larsonfan