IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Indy 500 rookies
4/19/24, 7:38 PM   #1
Indy 500 rookies
fourteen fan

Along with Larson, my wife and I will be attending our first 500. I am turning 67, so I want to cross this one off the bucket list.
Looking for suggestions
1. What side of town to stay on the night before?
2. Where to park?
3. Where to sit?
4. Anything else
We are doing the little 500 the night before.
Thanks for any suggestions

1 member likes this post: flagboy55
4/19/24, 9:22 PM   #2
Re: Indy 500 rookies
Vookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourteen fan View Post
Along with Larson, my wife and I will be attending our first 500. I am turning 67, so I want to cross this one off the bucket list.
Looking for suggestions
1. What side of town to stay on the night before?
2. Where to park?
3. Where to sit?
4. Anything else
We are doing the little 500 the night before.
Thanks for any suggestions
Buy tickets for the race now!!!! Parking on IMS property has been sold out for weeks.
Last edited by Vookie; 4/19/24 at 10:01 PM.

1 member likes this post: flagboy55
4/19/24, 11:04 PM   #3
openwheelfan1

Probably your best bet is to park in what is commonly referred to as “The Coke Lot” which is on the NW side of the Speedway, across the street (Georgetown Road) from turn 4. Since you obviously don’t have seats yet, you will PROBABLY be sitting in the infield. You can access the infield via tunnels at multiple locations, between turns 3 & 4 about a third of the way down the Main Street, and between turns 1 & 2. You MAY still be able to get grandstand seating, but it is doubtful.

2 members like this post: flagboy55, fourteen fan
4/19/24, 11:37 PM   #4
Vookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by openwheelfan1 View Post
Probably your best bet is to park in what is commonly referred to as “The Coke Lot” which is on the NW side of the Speedway, across the street (Georgetown Road) from turn 4. Since you obviously don’t have seats yet, you will PROBABLY be sitting in the infield. You can access the infield via tunnels at multiple locations, between turns 3 & 4 about a third of the way down the Main Street, and between turns 1 & 2. You MAY still be able to get grandstand seating, but it is doubtful.
These days the Snakepit concert arena takes up a great deal of the infield up on the north end of the track.

https://www.sportsbusinessjournal.co...0-ticket-sales

https://www.indianapolismotorspeedwa.../ticket-prices

https://www.indianapolismotorspeedwa...ducts-shuttles
Last edited by Vookie; 4/19/24 at 11:42 PM.

4/20/24, 1:33 AM   #5
jdull99

Did he say he doesn't have race tickets?
Steel$ & Deal$ Swap Meet & Car Shows (next location; TBD...)

4/20/24, 7:18 AM   #6
Hubie48

Fourteen Fan

When you know where your going to sit send me a PM. I have lived in Speedway pretty much my entire life. I can and will steer you to somewhere decent to park. IT might cost you thirty bucks but you only live once!

2 members like this post: flagboy55, fourteen fan
4/20/24, 7:57 AM   #7
dsc1600

Get there really early on race day. Others can tell you where to park, in order to get out easier. But your best bet is getting there at least 3-4 hours before the green flag.

4 members like this post: flagboy55, fourteen fan, Grocery Guy
4/20/24, 8:51 AM   #8
Grocery Guy

Race Count This Year: 6

DSC is right. ARRIVE EARLY, especially if this is your first Indy 500. You should be parked by 8am or earlier so traffic does not spoil your day. I-465 will jam up that early. For parking, think where your seats are and try to park in that general area. The neighborhood to the west of the Speedway is safe and reasonable. Remember this theory: Closer you park, the later you get out. Arrive early to watch all the pageantry. Take your own food and drinks! You don't want to pay expensive prices at the track and wait in long lines. If you don't have scanners, take ear plugs. Take sunscreen if in the sun. Watch the weather. You may need a poncho or a sweatshirt. I'm like you and many others - going to Anderson the night before. I know it will be a short night. Two 500's in two days is epic.

If you don't have tickets yet, better start looking now. Everyone has a different opinion on where to sit. Many love turns 3 and 4. Many love the front stretch to see the pit stops. Think about those views. Have fun!
Last edited by Grocery Guy; 4/20/24 at 8:58 AM.

2 members like this post: EBookerFan, fourteen fan
4/20/24, 10:36 AM   #9
benvar

Early Early Early - the roads clog up fast - get a room now - many will have a 3 day minimum stay - stay up north in Carmel area - leave hotel by 6am at latest

2 members like this post: fourteen fan, Grocery Guy
4/20/24, 11:06 AM   #10
arctic monkey21

1. At this point staying may depend on who still has rooms available. Being on the north is more convenient to getting to and from Anderson. Longer commute to IMS.

2. Parking really depends on where you sit. Ideally to minimize walking you want to park towards the area you sit. Also the closer to the track the more expensive and can be harder to get in and out. I go with a game plan of a general area to park and remain flexible.

3. You won't see the whole track. Go in with that in mind. Outside of the turns gives the most view. Shade is only available in the Paddock, A and B stands, and parts of E and C. Everywhere else will be in the sun. The Paddock,A, and B probably give the best views of pit stops and pre race activities.

4. A second person that can read traffic maps on their phone is helpful. Tune the radio to 93.1 WIBC. It will be all Indy 500 coverage including constant updates on traffic for pre and post race. Traffic flows can and will change from year to year. So advice that worked in the past may not work again.

The Little 500 will have a larger crowd than you may be expecting. Prepare for a short night of sleep before the Indy 500.

Remember you can take in your own food and drinks at IMS. They will check bag sizes on race day. Other days they tend to not check that so much.
Last edited by arctic monkey21; 4/20/24 at 11:08 AM.

3 members like this post: EBookerFan, fourteen fan, Mud Dobber
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Indy 500 rookies