IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum

Register! Forgot Password?
Scott Daloisio (Offline)
  #11 6/5/23 3:38 AM
Was texting back and forth with a car owner about this tonight. That much downtime is rough for the crowd to sit through.
oppweld (Online)
  #12 6/5/23 4:20 AM
They started a little late and had some extra prep time. Not sure what the problem is. I went to Knoxville last night and Haubstadt tonight and all I can say is I saw two kick ass shows!
The disturbing part of the weekend was watching Wang fans last night get excited about a one pass dirt storm of a feature that they called good.
5 Likes: Chief Wahoo, erich45, flagboy55, Rpracing1, TNRustler
reeserx (Online)
  #13 6/5/23 5:21 AM
Careful now, you’re criticizing the “class track”. Some people on here don’t take kindly to that. John Deere parade is the ultimate winner every race. Tommy can prep a track great, just takes awhile to get it.
hoosierhillbilly (Offline)
  #14 6/5/23 5:51 AM
I just got home. I lose an hour going east and so I crashed in the truck for a few hours. This was also my first live (non-Flo) race of the year. Overall, it as a bit of a frustrating evening due to the show pacing. The crowd also seemed down. I also noticed some leaving after the sprint feature. IDK if that is because of the time or the lack of interest in the midgets.

All in all it was an ok evening for me. Not horrible but not great either

Number three; You have the right to free speech; As long as You're not dumb enough to actually try it —The Clash
Hubie48 (Offline)
  #15 6/5/23 6:36 AM
At least run the Midget feature first. I did not go but stayed up and watched it on TV. I am already one hour late for work. So I spent the admission without going! Saved Gas!

Tri State is a great track and I actually love the drive from Indy down there. Not on a Sunday (until I retire)

Plan on going the rest of the week with the possible exception of Gas City
Jerry Shaw (Offline)
  #16 6/5/23 8:35 AM
The way Tom and his team prep a race track is the main reason I go to the track and look forward to doing so, every time I do. Does it take a while to get the track to his liking, sometimes? Absolutely. But, the end result is almost always some great racing. And it was again last night.

Was the second track prep warranted, last night? In my opinion it was. By the time the B-Mains had rolled around, the track had turned into a serious cowboy (and cowgirl, in this case) track. Especially on the turns one and two end. So, I think most of us fans of the track knew we were going to see a serious rework before the features rolled out. No way Tom was going to let it be like that for the A-Mains.

As a result, we got to see an impressive display of ability by Carson Garrett. Who has stepped up big time, is for real and area race fans have to happy that the new, improved version of him will be added to this year's mix. Daison Pursley also put on a show and demonstrated that his learning curve in picking up this sprint car thing is an accelerated one. He had no where to go, while filing through the lapped cars, in chasing down Garrett. I think he was the only one who had anything for Carson and his exit probably robbed us is seeing a more thrilling finish.

In the midgets, right after the first track prep, we were treated to the best set of heats I've seen all year. Especially the first two. They were green flag insanity. In the first heat, that battle between Wiedeman, Denney and McIntosh for the last transfer spot was wild. How they were pretty much all over one another, for the entire heat, to that extent, without anyone ending up in the fence, I still don't believe.

And Denney's dominating drive in the feature was something to behold. Especially some of the daring moves he made on groups of lappers through heavy traffic, while he was being pursued by a hard charging Buddy Kofoid. And how he survived the Hail Mary Buddy threw at him, after the last yellow. And McIntosh, McDermand, Andriotti, Daum and Gavin Miller all passed a ton of cars through all this chaos.

So, did I get home late? Sure, I did. It's an hour and a half drive and I go forward one time zone along the way. But am I sitting here mad that I didn't get enough sleep last night or that I didn't get my money's worth? No way. My voice is hoarse and the heels of both hands are a little raw from leaning while sitting on those wooden benches. I always know it was a good night there if that's the case.

If you had a bad night after last night's racing, I feel bad for you.

Jerry

A man is about as big as the things that make him angry.

Winston Churchill
16 Likes: billw, Chief Wahoo, Dale, Dougherty20, erich45, flagboy55, Ilovedirttrackracing, mc/rider, okie, oldfan49, oppweld, RHR, Rpracing1, skids59, TNRustler, TQ29m
staggerman (Offline)
  #17 6/5/23 8:59 AM
Come for a weekend of racing at Attica, Fremont or Lima and you guys would appreciate what you got at Tri-State. Still cleaning dust out of my eyes from last weekend
13 Likes: Carl49, Chief Wahoo, Dougherty20, erich45, flagboy55, Hubie48, Ilovedirttrackracing, interpreter66, oldfan49, oppweld, RHR, Rpracing1, trackprep
Dale (Offline)
  #18 6/5/23 9:38 AM
Helfrich's didn't get to where they are by being stupid. He is not burning all that fuel for fun.

Halfway between Springfield & DuQuoin, and Gilbert AZ
7 Likes: Chief Wahoo, Dougherty20, Ilovedirttrackracing, mc/rider, oppweld, RHR, trackprep
okie (Offline)
  #19 6/5/23 10:04 AM
you know pretty well what you are getting everytime you go to Tri State.whatever it is for you, good or bad you know what it is before you leave home.if you are a nonwing fan and lived in Oklahoma you would love Tri State
7 Likes: Chief Wahoo, Dale, Dougherty20, erich45, Ilovedirttrackracing, Jerry Shaw, oppweld
mc/rider (Online)
  #20 6/5/23 10:08 AM
Ive adjusted my POV. Its not track prep, its a third class. Run what you brung

When in doubt Gas It
3 Likes: Aurora78, Ilovedirttrackracing, okie