IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > What the he** happen at Gas City. Heard fights broke out
5/26/23, 11:48 PM   #1
What the he** happen at Gas City. Heard fights broke out
nathans1012

Race Count This Year: 7
Race Count Last Year: 34

What the he** happen at Gas City tonight. Heard fights broke out.

Last edited by nathans1012; 5/26/23 at 11:54 PM.

1 member likes this post: DirtTrackTherapy16J
5/27/23, 9:25 AM   #2
sjracer26

Race Count Last Year: 18

A couple of the crown vics started crashing at the checkered because one was trying to take the other out. Large chunks of mud went flying into the stands and tower. A chunk blew through the glass of the tower and clocked me in the face and the glass cut me up a bit. I was up there to race direct the Racesaver race. Was funny how they interviewed the winner of the jalopy race while me and another guy are getting medical attention in the stands. Me and the gentleman from the crowd carpooled in an ambulance to the hospital to get checked out. I don't know the status on him, I hope he is ok. A drunk fan got kicked out after making a little scene while the paramedics were doing thier thing. Not sure what else happened. My eyes are still in my head, just scratched up a bit. Don't remember anyone getting stabbed either.

Gas City was never my favorite track, but it's now at the bottom of my list personally.

-Alfred

5/27/23, 10:55 AM   #3
DirtTrackTherapy16J

I was there as well and I can add some to this. First, sjracer I'm glad your okay, you walked by me on your way to the ambulance and I was concerned for you as I felt you were bleeding pretty heavily in the face/head area. Glad your okay. The other guy as he came by on the stretcher didnt look too awful bad, hopefully he is okay as well.

Outside of these 2 men's health and well being, the issue there for anyone who knows anything about racing was a Crown Vic car had a tire go down. I've never raced on a dirt track so to the driver's defense, I'm not sure if you can feel it or not, especially in that type of car. However...everyone in the stands and race officials including but not limited to the flagman and press box workers could see the flat tire. What started out as a flat tire, went on for approximately 5 laps or more. The rim was cutting into the track so bad that massive chunks of mud was being thrown up into the air and into the stands, obviously causing injury and could have been worse. These chunks were the size of rift raft rocks...the white boulders you see around bridges and banks of bodies of water. If you still aren't sure what that is, just go with the size of 20 oz bottles.

The caution and/or black flag should have been thrown way way sooner then 5+ laps. The guy was leading the race and immediately fell back as soon as he got a flat. No excuse, no reason for that to have happened. Not 1, not 2, but 3 people sitting with me, who are former stock car drivers and track champions, along with a well known favorite on here, Mr. Aussie Wayne, all even said this!! Pretty obvious!! The tire ended up coming off with rim still on before they ever threw the caution. Absolutely ridiculous.

On a positive note...although track conditions was terrible, yes that's being nice and positive about it, and it was a one lane track, the car counts was up and the bleachers numbers were up from 2 weeks ago. Pretty decent size crowd until all the extra curriculars went on in the bleachers. Around 24 nonwing Sprints, around 17 wing Sprints, around 12 Crown Vics, and around 16 Hornets.

Highlight of the night was in the nonwing Sprints. Your eventual winner, The Bull, Tye Mihocko driving the blue and white 24P, and Colton Cottle driving the red and white legendary 57 Hazen machine put on one heck of a battle. Colton lead most of the race, Tye likely could have tried shoving him out of the way on a one lane track but he didnt. They just kept racing each other clean and hard. Colton eventually made a small mistake getting a tad bit wide coming out of turn 4 and Tye slid by on the inside and never lost the lead from there.

It's a shame that fans, teams, and drivers continue to try supporting the track but yet the same people, the same mistakes, are still being made yet over a year later and getting pats on the backs for it and atta boyz for it. What went on in the bleachers/pressbox was completely avoidable. For those who hate stock cars and/or "support classes", dont even go there. Had nothing to do with it being stock cars, or a Crown Vic, simply the fact a caution should have been thrown long before 5+ laps and the tire coming off the rim.

Hopefully the 2 guys who flipped their Hornets are okay and sjracer again I'm glad you are okay and hopefully the other guy is as well.
Last edited by DirtTrackTherapy16J; 5/27/23 at 11:11 AM.

5 members like this post: Adolph, Hustlin-Hoosier, oppweld, sjracer26, TQ97
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > What the he** happen at Gas City. Heard fights broke out