IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Gas City I-69 Speedway - Press Release POSTED....
1/25/23, 5:07 PM   #11
Re: Gas City I-69 Speedway - Press Release POSTED....
Will Shunk

[QUOTE=DirtTrackTherapy16J;561423]I refuse to pat someone on the back that doesn't deserve it much less say thank you for running a track into the ground in 1 season that someone else worked their tail off and took 4 years to build up.

Attending racing @ GC since 1998, I've seen 4000 fans and 400 fans in the stands whether it was Jiggs, Jerry, or Larry. Running a race track is a total crap shoot. That is one reason why EVERYONE on this board is NOT doing it! My Take on 2022.

April 18, 2022 Jerry takes a level up job with Eldora and Jack is now looking for a promoter 10 days before the April 28 test & tune and a few weeks before the May 7 opener. In hindsight, Jack should have shut it down and everyone on this board would have screamed murder. No, he seeks Larry Boos who already has The Rumble, Winchester Speedway, and stepped up for Harold to run Montpelier Speedway. Larry inherits a schedule, events, and a staff not of his choosing. The ultimate substitute teacher gig, walk in cold and make it happen.

Larry now adds a 20 event schedule to his plate. Why, I don't know. Maybe because he did it for the teams, drivers, employees, and fans. He rallies the troops together and WE get to see racing at Gas City in 2022. THANK YOU! I had 14 penciled in on my schedule but rain, threat of rain, and illness limited me from venturing 320 round trip miles to support GC on 7 of those 14. Probably rings true for many, as the stands were sparse most Fridays that I could attend. This view was expressed by those around me each week and the fear of what might be lost.

I don't race or work at GC Speedway so I have no knowledge of what was promised by Jerry or Larry to his staff, the teams, etc. for 2022. What I do know is that Larry Boos has been involved in successful promotion of tracks and series for DECADES at a variety of different levels of responsibility.

I am sad if people feel like they were denied certain classes of racing action, payouts, points $, purse $, their a$$ wasn't kissed in the same manner as the past, BUT I for one am so very glad that I was able to attend another exciting year of racing action at the Gas City I-69 Speedway in 2022. If GC races, I will see you all in 2023!

1/25/23, 10:41 PM   #12
yeleyfan76

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtTrackTherapy16J View Post
Again Nathans1012 thank you for posting this and taking the time to do so. That's for certain the only positive in this. I refuse to pat someone on the back that doesn't deserve it much less say thank you for running a track into the ground in 1 season that someone else worked their tail off and took 4 years to build up. We miss you Jerry, thank you for everything you did.
Spot on. I’d trade for Jerry to come back. I read an essay from another poster about all that was against mister Boos to succeed. If he is as good as the essay made it sound then GC shouldn’t be in the rapid decline last year saw. If for nothing else maybe he should have just did what Jerry was doing. Hopefully for the long run things will turn around. Thank you to Jerry for what you were doing at Gas City things were progressing in a good way. Again hoping for positive things in 2023.

3 members like this post: DirtTrackTherapy16J, MBoersma, Speedmax3
1/26/23, 12:56 AM   #13
DirtTrackTherapy16J

The irony of this is some of the same people that sit on here and talk about we need more crowds, bigger crowds, new fans, younger crowds/fans, new generations to attend races and continue the sport we all love so we dont lose it...yet sit there and pat a person on the back and say thank you for running a track into the ground in 1 single season???

I wont sit and bad mouth the person(s), call them names, none of that immature garbage. I got my own problems, noone is perfect. HOWEVER, NOONE made anyone take the job. They took it on their own and failed miserably in so many ways. Such a great promoter and promotional team, veteran(s) at the business, yet one night the track was so terribly oversaturated that the ruts was like a Motox track on one of the worse drought years in North Central Indiana history. Didnt realize they was overwatering it? The cars regardless of class, was making water splash up out of the ruts. Pat on the back and thank you for that? Atta boy, get em next at bat for that? Nah I dont think so.

So many drivers and teams lost respect and will not return to the track under the current promotional team. Open your eyes for those who cant see it, outside of big shows or sanctioned shows.

Its funny, we had a group of young men sitting in front of us one night...picking our brains, had never been to a track until that night. They was from up around Ft. Wayne. Next night they was at US24. They seen our group. The one kid pipes up and says man these cars are way smaller, way smaller track, but that place last night was a sh*t hole compared to here. Yeah really really sad when beginner fans see it, yet people wanna pat someone on the back and say thank you?

Its extremely sad so many people, including myself looked forward to the end of a work week, every Friday going to GC, seeing good car counts from all classes, good racing, nice family fun atmosphere, destroyed in 1 season. No sorry I refuse to say thank you or give them a pat on the back. Oh and for those who went to a handful of races and knows everything, I went to every race but 3 in 2022, one of which was a monster truck show, the other 2 I had prior commitments to kids in my life. 2021 missed less, 2020 missed less. Dont even try the support the place and track with me bc I did week in and week out!!!!
Last edited by DirtTrackTherapy16J; 1/26/23 at 1:02 AM.

2 members like this post: billm233, JDavis#11
1/26/23, 9:15 AM   #14
OnTheHammer

Race Count This Year: 21
Race Count Last Year: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtTrackTherapy16J View Post
The irony of this is some of the same people that sit on here and talk about we need more crowds, bigger crowds, new fans, younger crowds/fans, new generations to attend races and continue the sport we all love so we dont lose it...yet sit there and pat a person on the back and say thank you for running a track into the ground in 1 single season???

I wont sit and bad mouth the person(s), call them names, none of that immature garbage. I got my own problems, noone is perfect. HOWEVER, NOONE made anyone take the job. They took it on their own and failed miserably in so many ways. Such a great promoter and promotional team, veteran(s) at the business, yet one night the track was so terribly oversaturated that the ruts was like a Motox track on one of the worse drought years in North Central Indiana history. Didnt realize they was overwatering it? The cars regardless of class, was making water splash up out of the ruts. Pat on the back and thank you for that? Atta boy, get em next at bat for that? Nah I dont think so.

So many drivers and teams lost respect and will not return to the track under the current promotional team. Open your eyes for those who cant see it, outside of big shows or sanctioned shows.

Its funny, we had a group of young men sitting in front of us one night...picking our brains, had never been to a track until that night. They was from up around Ft. Wayne. Next night they was at US24. They seen our group. The one kid pipes up and says man these cars are way smaller, way smaller track, but that place last night was a sh*t hole compared to here. Yeah really really sad when beginner fans see it, yet people wanna pat someone on the back and say thank you?

Its extremely sad so many people, including myself looked forward to the end of a work week, every Friday going to GC, seeing good car counts from all classes, good racing, nice family fun atmosphere, destroyed in 1 season. No sorry I refuse to say thank you or give them a pat on the back. Oh and for those who went to a handful of races and knows everything, I went to every race but 3 in 2022, one of which was a monster truck show, the other 2 I had prior commitments to kids in my life. 2021 missed less, 2020 missed less. Dont even try the support the place and track with me bc I did week in and week out!!!!

1 member likes this post: tirespinner
1/26/23, 10:50 AM   #15
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

Fact: If GC was a money pit one of the three prior promotors would have bought it or kept running it, Instead of taking the first exit ramp.

So a bad night or two is worth trashing people, the track and any future it might have vs. Being bulldozed. Sounds legit to me.

Fact is, there are at least five tracks available for sale or for promotion. Will the GREAT PROMOTER PLEASE STAND UP?

4 members like this post: Boat, BrentTFunk, oldfan49, wallbanger II
1/26/23, 2:10 PM   #16
Speedmax3

I think a great majority of fans & car owners were concerned when Jerry accepted the Eldora position that Gas City might be in jeopordy. He was now on one year contracts to promote Gas City and the Eldora position brought him stability. We all know the track had been closed for a few years after "Jiggs" retired from promoting there and it didn"t work out with the replacement. Jack Himelick would have been willing to sell the track during that time and it's still for sale as I believe Jack is in his mid 80's now. It's definately not a money pit but some consider the asking price steep but that Jack's right to ask his price, so anyone looking to purchase a nice facility here's your opportunity. Jerry approached Jack four years ago about reopening the track under his promotion and brought it back to life and then some. He absolutely showed Gas City can have successful weekly programs under the right leadership. Everyone knows that Jerry couldn't be easily replaced and hoped for the best when Larry took over. In his defense it all happened quickly. There's not a huge pool of promoters out there and I didn't know Larry but heard he was a hard working pretty nice guy. I think we all want Gas City to continue to be open and successful and I hope he's heartfelt in his post to get things better because there were more than one or two nights of terrible track conditions, conflict, and miscommunication was a big issue with race teams. Last year was not a good year and lets clear the slate and hope this years a better one! We all want and need Gas City and don't want lose a great facility!

1/26/23, 5:07 PM   #17
DirtTrackTherapy16J

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Nungester View Post
Fact: If GC was a money pit one of the three prior promotors would have bought it or kept running it, Instead of taking the first exit ramp.

So a bad night or two is worth trashing people, the track and any future it might have vs. Being bulldozed. Sounds legit to me.

Fact is, there are at least five tracks available for sale or for promotion. Will the GREAT PROMOTER PLEASE STAND UP?
Charles if your gonna run your fingers and keyboard at me, you need to look up definitions of words you use. Fact = the truth. Opinion = your thoughts and feelings. Choice = what a person chooses to do.

I never mentioned a name except THANKING JERRY. Speaking of Jerry, he didnt take the first exit ramp as you say, he left for a better position, better job, at arguably the most famous and popular dirt track in America, The Famed Eldora. I'm certain it bettered his life and his families life. Thats not taking the first exit ramp. That's his CHOICE.

Noone made the current promotion team take the job, they CHOSE to. That was their CHOICE. I spoke the truth. It was almost every single night, every single race, outside of USAC races, there was major problems and still currently are and I know this for a FACT from current drivers.

How many times did you go to GC in 2022 Charles??? Gaurandamntee it wasn't all but 3 was it??? I went to all but 3 even as poorly as things were, bc I love it there, we dont have weekly racing, and I SUPPORT THE TRACK!!!! As I said previously I support the heck out of that track regardless of promotion team or type of racing that is going on and I DO NOT LIVE IN GC!!!!

MY CHOICE is to not pat people on the back or say thank you for doing a terrible job and running a track into the ground in 1 season. I could give 200 ***** less what you think about me or my post. Dont hit like, WHO CARES. Get over it man, I have my OPINIONS and CHOICES!!!! FACTS are FACTS. THE TRUTH. Try finding a dictionary when you have time and educating yourself!!!!

3 members like this post: Charles Nungester, Speedmax3, yeleyfan76
1/26/23, 5:23 PM   #18
Pancho Stapp

I got a buddy of mine who i work with who will never go back under the management team in place at this time. Chad is a top row guy with his seats riveted into the top row and he is sincere about this subject. There are those who have drawn a line in the sand. The same guy and his group will not even go to Montpelier while Larry is in charge. Everyone has a right to their opinions and hopefully it works out for all involved. The owner, promoter, fan, racer, car owner, city, yada yada yada. I can hear them from my house since i live east of the track, i hope that is a Friday night regularity. For the record i do attend unless i have to get up at 4:30 for my 6 a.m. shift.
Last edited by Pancho Stapp; 1/26/23 at 5:25 PM.

2 members like this post: DirtTrackTherapy16J, Hustlin-Hoosier
1/26/23, 5:35 PM   #19
Pancho Stapp

And YeleyFan76 looking forward to seeing you again. You catch some hell on here but you have been a stand up guy each time we cross paths. GC was the place we met, maybe i will see you at IMW if you come back this way for it. If not i will see you at the sprint car shows.

2 members like this post: DirtTrackTherapy16J, yeleyfan76
1/26/23, 6:04 PM   #20
DirtTrackTherapy16J

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancho Stapp View Post
I got a buddy of mine who i work with who will never go back under the management team in place at this time. Chad is a top row guy with his seats riveted into the top row and he is sincere about this subject. There are those who have drawn a line in the sand. The same guy and his group will not even go to Montpelier while Larry is in charge. Everyone has a right to their opinions and hopefully it works out for all involved. The owner, promoter, fan, racer, car owner, city, yada yada yada. I can hear them from my house since i live east of the track, i hope that is a Friday night regularity. For the record i do attend unless i have to get up at 4:30 for my 6 a.m. shift.
Pancho this is my exact point. People have their right to their choice and opinion. So many people on here dont like it when someone doesnt agree with them. When someone sees it differently. I'm like your friends and even your dad that you talked about in an earlier post in this thread. I have a line that I draw and refuse to tell someone good job or thank you or pat on the back or an atta boy for doing such a horrible job in a short period.

I am aggravated, I am upset, it flat out sucks there wont be weekly racing. Again I'm with your friends and family that are upset. I look forward to it. I dont want the track closing, I dont want it or someone to fail. I dont wish bad on people. But in the end I will not say good job or thank you or atta boy or pat on the back if they did or do bad. Some people dont like it and I could care less.

You have always seemed like a good guy on here, your one of them on here that I would like to meet at a race and offer you a drink or some grub. Maybe that will happen this year at a track.

1 member likes this post: PIT CART
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Gas City I-69 Speedway - Press Release POSTED....