IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > DuQuoin Indoor race
12/20/21, 4:34 AM   #41
Re: DuQuoin Indoor race

You guys are completely wrong about the filler classes. RUN THEM!!!! The promoter on the other hand needs to learn how to create a schedule. You can run most of there races AFTER the national midgets. Lets face it this is a traveling crowd. Run what you run Friday. Run your Midget portion with either practice or just a few races mixed in during dead time. Run the bulk of your other races after the midget feature. The people that want to go home can. You still make the money you need to make. I seen some tracks do this on the Dirt LM side this year. LM feature ending at 9pm, other classes running to when ever. Better for local fans, all of the travelers were out of there way when they were ready to leave.

12/20/21, 10:28 AM   #42
cl124

Quote:
Originally Posted by 767 View Post
You guys are completely wrong about the filler classes. RUN THEM!!!! The promoter on the other hand needs to learn how to create a schedule. You can run most of there races AFTER the national midgets. Lets face it this is a traveling crowd. Run what you run Friday. Run your Midget portion with either practice or just a few races mixed in during dead time. Run the bulk of your other races after the midget feature. The people that want to go home can. You still make the money you need to make. I seen some tracks do this on the Dirt LM side this year. LM feature ending at 9pm, other classes running to when ever. Better for local fans, all of the travelers were out of there way when they were ready to leave.
I agree with this as well. I'll note that I knew the "it ended by 12" comments would come just as they did however as someone else stated this started at 3 P.M. 8-9 hours is a long time to watch anything. I personally feel that this is a bigger issue across the board that keeps dirt track racing from picking up a lot of new fans. Think of any sport you go to and watch, 4 hours is the absolute longest it would last and thats on the long end. To me anything over 4 hours is a struggle to keep people attentive and interested especially these days. Now i'll say I am a diehard fan who could watch racing 24/7 of all kinds but most are not. Is it such a bad idea to think that maybe the bigger "national" races could transform into specialized shows that maybe only last a couple hours without all the filler classes etc? Tracks would hold up better and weeknight shows would become easier to go see. I compare this to basketball for instance, when you go watch an IU game you don't watch the highschoolers play too, and the walk-ons, and the waterboys, and so on and so forth, you pay a high premium price to go watch the national level guys play for two hours and go home. Heck even high-school basketball don't make you watch the JV game to see the varsity play they play it after or on another day.

6 members like this post: Grocery Guy, luckybuc97, mc/rider, Pitdad, ronmil, tirespinner
12/20/21, 11:52 AM   #43
jdull99

I do not think hotlaps should be included in the overall time for spectators...what time did the 1st race run and when were opening ceremonies?
Steel$ & Deal$ Swap Meet & Car Shows (next location; TBD...)

12/20/21, 12:03 PM   #44
TQ29m

See what happens when you take your open wheel car to a track that is predominantly a tin top track and see when you get to run! Personally I see nothing wrong with running the "odd bunch "first, and getting it overwith, the ones who like to see the rest of the racing will stay to watch their favorite, and every one is happy, we used to go to a lot of tracks where we knew we would be last, and it made it bad for everyone, just an old man's opinion.

12/20/21, 12:20 PM   #45
WinglessLovers

Race Count This Year: 24
Race Count Last Year: 85

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdull99 View Post
I do not think hotlaps should be included in the overall time for spectators...what time did the 1st race run and when were opening ceremonies?
The opening ceremonies began before 5 PM and the first heat race green flag flew at 5:05 PM with the midget 50 lap main event taking the checkered flag at 11:22 PM. That is still 6 hours and 17 minutes and much too long of a racing program. I turned to my wife before the midgets took the green flag and said that I am too tired to enjoy what I came to see!!! Much too long of a show!!! I feel bad for Lauren Stewart's March show as this debacle will keep many people from attending even though she has only two divisions as people only remember the last time they attended a race at a facility.

Bruce Eckel

12/20/21, 1:09 PM   #46
ISF

All they would have had to do to avoid a whole bunch of disappointed, and yes PO'd, fans would be to run the midget A-main first or second after the kids A-main, as opposed to last, and they would have been heaped with praise and good will.

As was mentioned previously, we too feel bad for Lauren because her March event will likely be unfairly stigmatized by some for the mistakes made last weekend. Mistakes that probably could have been avoided.

5 members like this post: BrentTFunk, luckybuc97, mc/rider, PIT CART, ronmil
12/20/21, 2:07 PM   #47
jdull99

Also, how about skipping the qualifying races? Plenty of places line up cars with just heats and features...thats how it used to be at Tulsa, etc I'm pretty certain. If there "has" to be more racing to determine the line-ups, how about the top cars run a Dash race or smthn? The Q races just seem like un-needed laps when there are PLENTY of events across the country that do not have them...
Steel$ & Deal$ Swap Meet & Car Shows (next location; TBD...)

12/20/21, 2:41 PM   #48
toledo47

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdull99 View Post
Also, how about skipping the qualifying races? Plenty of places line up cars with just heats and features...thats how it used to be at Tulsa, etc I'm pretty certain. If there "has" to be more racing to determine the line-ups, how about the top cars run a Dash race or smthn? The Q races just seem like un-needed laps when there are PLENTY of events across the country that do not have them...
The support races only ran a-mains other than I think 1 class had a b-main.
I assumed they would run it like this:
Midget heats
Support feature
Midget qualifiers
Support feature
Midget b mains
Support feature
Midget a main
Remaining support races

There was no need to run ALL support races before the midget final.
Some gaps between midget races with no support race and time for track prep and fumes to clear out would’ve been better as well IMO.
I’ve been to that race once before, as a POWRi show, it was midgets only. Much better...
Ideally They should’ve just done all support races on Friday...

3 members like this post: ISF, luckybuc97, ronmil
12/20/21, 4:05 PM   #49
cornerthree

Wouldn't have been a problem only about 50 fans on Friday.

12/20/21, 4:18 PM   #50
cornerthree

Jason those Q races are often the best race of the night. Are group loves them.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > DuQuoin Indoor race