IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum

Register! Forgot Password?
flagboy55 (Offline)
  #1 5/4/18 1:40 AM
As I started off my 2018 racing season at LPS a couple weeks back, I noticed a trend that, in my opinion has gone too far. I believe it was the 6 car, Clouser's I believe, that looked from the grand stand to have only about 3 or 4 inches of visibility out the right side of the car due to the ever growing panels attached to the frame. If they had a square tank, it would look almost like the old supers that ran at Plymouth and South Bend that dad used to take to watch back in the early 70s. Now I know in sprint car's, the horse is way too far out of the barn to make a call for change, but I think we should call for a revolution for the silver crown cars that there's no body work above the driver's sight line over the hood. I'm not asking for cars to look like the Kurtz 30 or the Delrose 12, but let's keep it so us fans can at least see their helmets! Anyone else up for a revolt?
13 Likes: BrentTFunk, chrismattlin, dwhitney1169, jim goerge, nathans1012, oppweld, Pat O'Connor Fan, ROSCO, speed bump, Speedwrench, spicoli, superstock30, The Old Coyote
cshuman (Offline)
  #2 5/4/18 3:28 AM
Having those panels may hurt the fans seeing a drivers helmet, but it sure helps the driver deal with not only sun, but the glare of the lights at some tracks is really bad. Sometimes they are starting features right at sunset and it can literally be zero visibility on certain parts of the track.
17 Likes: bighd0522, BrentTFunk, dirtnonwingfan, fish, i love dirt track racing, Jbaldwin, Jim Gardner, jim goerge, MIracing, nathans1012, oppweld, Pat O'Connor Fan, PIT CART, Racer12, scottyCbus, tirespinner, wright59
BrentTFunk (Offline)
  #3 5/4/18 5:53 AM
Originally Posted by cshuman:
Having those panels may hurt the fans seeing a drivers helmet, but it sure helps the driver deal with not only sun, but the glare of the lights at some tracks is really bad. Sometimes they are starting features right at sunset and it can literally be zero visibility on certain parts of the track.
Good point. All the more reasons for going on central time.
7 Likes: jim goerge, mscs20, oppweld, Pat O'Connor Fan, PJ Wright, Simon_says17, tirespinner
Chase Hightower (Offline)
  #4 5/4/18 8:39 AM
I think every car should have to look like the plastic express, delrose & holt, and leader card cars. Looks like a slab of plywood stuck to the sides on all of them now. Go ahead and list all the reasons why they need it, and about things progresssing as I’ve heard in the past. But, they don’t look like the race cars they are supposed to be in my opinion. Grant King and A. J. Watson I’m sure would agree. They didn’t have, or need these ugly things they call bodywork until recent years and did fine. The last car that impressed me with its appearance was the “Besecker Special” sprint car. I thought the Marten Machine 48 silver crown car looked like a race car also!
7 Likes: 2rock21, Blackduce, chrismattlin, oppweld, sp6967, spicoli, wallbanger II
racefan20 (Offline)
  #5 5/4/18 9:12 AM
The Besecker Special was one of the best looking cars I've ever seen

John Hoover

“To whom little is not enough, nothing is enough.” Epicurus
4 Likes: bighd0522, FishBurger, Pat O'Connor Fan, tirespinner
Rpracing1 (Offline)
  #6 5/4/18 9:44 AM
No revolution here. I just like seeing a good healthy car count. Being in Central time zone, I kind of like the rest of you cats being on Eastern time as I get home a hour earlier than what I think it is!
4 Likes: BrentTFunk, jim goerge, luckybuc97, The Old Coyote
motorhead748 (Offline)
  #7 5/4/18 11:57 AM
I just want to see a good race. I want to see fast cars being raced hard and maybe even passed by fast cars. I don't really care what they look like.
4 Likes: fish, Jerry Shaw, jim goerge, progressive22
FrankR63 (Offline)
  #8 5/4/18 12:17 PM
I think if somehow we could get back to seeing the driver working in the cockpit, like the non wing cars of the 70's it would bring in more new fans. We all talk about how to do just that all the time and no one has any answers...... Remember watching the drivers hustle???? THAT was one of the main things that hooked me and I would wager others.
How about some clear Plexiglas that would "expose" the drivers body and hands...If one team was to do that I would wager they had better have a bunch of T shirts ready.
4 Likes: 2fast4u, oppweld, spicoli, trannyman
cshuman (Offline)
  #9 5/4/18 12:25 PM
Street cars have changed, and made things much more comfortable for their drivers over the years as well. That being said I hope your street car is still from the 70’s, and you don’t use any of the new developments like A/C, cruise, power seats etc. I mean you don’t need them anyways.
12 Likes: addictedtodirt, Blackduce, Chris Wilson, DRJACK3, fish, hairracer44, Jbaldwin, Leohr46, Mattmac05, Racer12, sprinter6, trackprep
Chase Hightower (Offline)
  #10 5/4/18 12:35 PM
Simple statement and/or opinion on my part. I guess some people do think a car today looks better than the old tamale wagons and cars from previous decades that I really thought were appealing, beautiful cars. I don’t think so. I also think a 70 Chevelle looks much better than a 2018 Honda Accord. I’m simply stating the apppearance of cars in recent years doesn’t do much for me. Maybe they can get A/C in a sprint car?
3 Likes: mc/rider, oppweld, Pat O'Connor Fan