IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Andrew Update #30
6/17/08, 9:40 PM   #1
Andrew Update #30
Mud Packer

Race Count Last Year: 59

I want to share a little story concerning Andrew and his dad Toby. Andrew adores his dad and I can honestly say that Toby has become a great dad. I sent him a special message this past weekend for Father's Day letting him know just how proud I was of him. When my kids were growing up I always wondered exactly what type of parents they would be. I am one of the lucky ones, as my two sons have turned out to be great fathers.

Back to the story. Last week the Detroit Tigers and the American Cancer Society teamed up together for a special outing. So my son, daughter-in-law and Andrew went to the game. With Andrew being on chemo, needless to say that he has lost all of his hair a number of times. My daughter-in-law struggles with this and I know that Toby also feels bad. It doesn't seem to faze Andrew in the least.

It just so happened that BoRics was also at the game giving "special" haircuts for family members of the cancer patients. Well I am including a couple of pictures with the first one being Andrew looking at his dad and smiling. The second one is of my son. I know he will kill me if/when he sees this. It certainly brought a smile to my face as well.

Andrew went into the hospital today for week #33 chemo round. He was given the shot in the Omaya reservoir this morning and promptly vomited. He was awake and alert during the procedure but he will be a pretty sick little guy for about 10 days. They will get the rest of the chemo over the next 4 days so they are again hospitalized for this week. He is running a fever already so I am sure that my daughter-in-law and son will have their hands full trying to corral him this week.

Again, thanks for all the thoughts and prayers that you send this way. My family is very proud of the little guy and we appreciate your contined interest in his journey. Hope to see you at the races soon.

Be nice to people on the way up. You might need them on the way down. Jimmy Durante
Last edited by Mud Packer; 10/13/09 at 9:53 PM.

6/17/08, 9:50 PM   #2
Re: Andrew Update #30
Dwight Clock

Thanks for the continued updates, Mike. What a great smile Andrew has. Us grownups can learn a lot from that smile.:thumb

6/17/08, 9:56 PM   #3
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

:applaud:

6/17/08, 9:57 PM   #4
racinstacie

Race Count This Year: 19
Race Count Last Year: 64

What a sweet little guy and such an inspiration! I will keep him in my prayers.

6/17/08, 10:08 PM   #5
Danny Burton

Mike, tell Andrew this, please.

Hey bud. You are one strong little guy and you are an inspiration to us old folks.

And remember that your hair will grow back. Mine (and Dwight's among others) won't.:thumb

Hang in there, little man.

Quiet, numbskulls. I'm broadcasting.

6/17/08, 10:12 PM   #6
Mud Packer

Race Count Last Year: 59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny Burton View Post
Mike, tell Andrew this, please.

Hey bud. You are one strong little guy and you are an inspiration to us old folks.

And remember that your hair will grow back. Mine (and Dwight's among others) won't.:thumb

Hang in there, little man.
Danny,

I will be sure to tell Andrew. I know that he has become my hero.:respect:

I am getting a little worried as the pressure is mounting for the old man to get his locks shaved off next.:O: Oh Lord would that be a picture worth a thousand words.:rolling

Be nice to people on the way up. You might need them on the way down. Jimmy Durante

6/18/08, 1:25 AM   #7
Flatrightrear

Nice pictures, Mike. Keeping you all in my prayers.
Tom

6/18/08, 12:23 PM   #8
racegal

Race Count This Year: 19

Thank you so much for sharing! You all are in my prayers always!!
What a great, strong family! Bless you!

6/18/08, 12:37 PM   #9
Gregg

Adding to what Danny says, when Andrews hair grows back it will be a vastly different color than mine.:wink

Thanks for the pictures. More thoughts and prayers on the way.

6/18/08, 2:02 PM   #10
ronmil

Race Count Last Year: 48

Mike,

Thanks for keeping us posted on Andrew's progress. Those pictures are priceless.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Andrew Update #30