IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Suggestions
12/2/22, 5:00 PM   #1
Suggestions
JSBH03

My soon to be 18 year old son recently told me that he wants to drive a sprint car for a living except he’s never drove one or any race car for that matter. I explained to him that this was probably not going to happen so he expressed a desire to work for a team or some where in sprint car racing. Anyone have any ideas how he can get some work doing something this summer?

4 members like this post: BrentTFunk, oppweld, tirespinner, WinglessLovers
12/2/22, 5:45 PM   #2
Re: Suggestions
digdug

call teams and volunteer your time. Start at the bottom, sweep, clean mud off the cars and clean the tires and trailors. Be the guy who comes in early and leaves late.

I did that one season. I was lucky the first team I asked took me on. We worked after hours most nights. I guess it did help that the team owner knew me for many years and knew my karting background and knew I wasn't a flake. But I found out, I didn't like the long hours, travel, etc. and wasn't what I wanted to do in the long run.

Goodluck to your son Does he want to travel ie WOO ? Talk with crew members and ask what life is like on the road.

It's not an easy job, especially if he wants a career.

BUT DON'T LET ANYONE DISCOURAGE HIM, if he's got the drive, he will have a good chance to make it.

12/2/22, 5:57 PM   #3
digdug

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NVZR8b8eo18
good view about being a crewmember on the road

1 member likes this post: tirespinner
12/2/22, 7:05 PM   #4
racefan20

I think Tim Clauson has been known to bring in young volunteers to show them the ropes. Dont know is thats still true or not but worth a call to CMR to find out.

“To whom little is not enough, nothing is enough.” Epicurus

12/3/22, 12:30 PM   #5
JSBH03

Thanks for the replies. Definitely some good info.

12/5/22, 7:32 PM   #6
Jonr

You didn't state where you live, but if it is possible to volunteer for a local sprint car team that would be a great way to start. Most local teams are always looking for help and would be willing to help train. It would be a great way to learn without jumping into the deep end of being a traveler. It will also help with the resume if he decides to go it again next summer as a full-time road warrior.

Finally, after some quick Google research, it looks like at 18 your son can get a CDL license but would not be able to leave the state as a CDL driver until he is 21. If your son does not make it as a crew member at least he would have a trade to fall back on.

https://www.smart-trucking.com/cdl-age-requirements/

2 members like this post: BrentTFunk, luckybuc97
12/5/22, 7:45 PM   #7
hoscalecody

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonr View Post
You didn't state where you live, but if it is possible to volunteer for a local sprint car team that would be a great way to start. Most local teams are always looking for help and would be willing to help train. It would be a great way to learn without jumping into the deep end of being a traveler. It will also help with the resume if he decides to go it again next summer as a full-time road warrior.

Finally, after some quick Google research, it looks like at 18 your son can get a CDL license but would not be able to leave the state as a CDL driver until he is 21. If your son does not make it as a crew member at least he would have a trade to fall back on.

That works as long as someone has 4-5k to pay for school. In 2022 they made it where you have to go through a certified school, which usually cost 4-5k. Good luck with getting a grant or anything also. I've tried to for years, at least in Ohio. You usually may find a company that will train you for "free" but you have a contract to work with them OTR for 1-3 years. My company I work for is great, home every night, local stuff and no weekends, but is 3 years if you get Class A through, them 2 years if you get Class B.
Not saying your idea is bad Jonr, just for a lot of people it may not work.
Last edited by hoscalecody; 12/5/22 at 7:47 PM.

12/5/22, 9:35 PM   #8
JSBH03

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonr View Post

We live in Terre Haute. He’s going to reach out to a couple local guys and see if they need any help.

5 members like this post: chrismattlin, fish, Ilovedirttrackracing, Jonr, luckybuc97
12/5/22, 9:49 PM   #9
kendirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSBH03 View Post
We live in Terre Haute. He’s going to reach out to a couple local guys and see if they need any help.
Race teams are just like everyone else right now, dying for help.

If your kid will show up and work his opportunities are limitless.

I'd encourage him to get with the most successful team he can. At his stage he can learn from about anyone but he just as well learn what it takes to run up front right from the start.

4 members like this post: chrismattlin, dirtbag, erich45, Ken Bonnema
12/7/22, 6:04 PM   #10
AJR Motorsports

Hello there..we are a 410 non wing sprint car team based out of Terre Haute..feel free to call me at 812 240 3009...Sincerely Allen

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Suggestions