IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > 2023 Hoosier 100 Payout
12/11/22, 7:45 PM   #31
flagboy55

That kinda foolishness is why I won’t try to sign on. Nothing like putting ******** front and center

2 members like this post: jdull99, OnTheHammer
12/11/22, 8:15 PM   #32
Re: 2023 Hoosier 100 Payout
Stevensville Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by 767 View Post
Because mile tracks put on such great racing, you guys should just go build a track to solve this problem! I'm sure fans will flock to your venue week after week Has anyone done the math on this thing? $92,000 purse. At $25 per ticket, takes 3,680 people just to break even. Lets be honest that number is going to be hard to pull off. Hats off on the guys picking up strong sponsors in this tough economy. I am very impressed by this purse. As others have said, there were 25 cars in the spring. I predict there will be 37 cars for this event. For this kind of money, you will see new chassis built. Look how impressive the 19 team was at the last race. For what it is worth, I don't care 1 bit if the race is on dirt or pavement as long as they are racing!
Let me see if I have this straight. I'll do a little MORE math:

For the sake of argument, let us say the track owner is in this event for that amount - $92K. Let us also say the ticket price will remain firm - $25.

The owner will more than likely attempt to find sponsorship of this race from somewhere. For example, Federated Auto Parts. Say they throw in enough sponsor $$$ to make it the Federated Auto Parts 100. This cuts down the track owner's amount thrown into the purse. Federated puts up signs, gives away can coolers, etc., and goes the advertisement way, maybe gets a cut of the t-shirt money for their name/logo is on the shirt, which is how I assume business advertising works - for the most part.

3680 people were required at $92K to break even. If you cut that required number of fans to 3000, you are bringing the track owner's portion of the purse down to $75K. So to make the math work, Federated Auto Parts will have to pony up $17K. That's a lot. Good luck with THAT.

Now maybe you can get Hoosier Tire or VP Fuel to throw in a few thou and chop Federated's overhead for this race down a bit. What are Hoosier and VP getting in return? Maybe a few more smaller sponsors can kick in? Any way it is sliced up, we are still targeting $17K to cover the fans count of only 3000 - down 680 from 3680.

The math IS staggering, I must say, 767.

But if you can get all of the fans to spend $5 at the concession stands, our target fan base is now down to 2500 to break even (with the $17K from the sponsors).

My head is starting to hurt thinking about this. Thanks for bringing these figures to the forefront of this topic. The numbers are definitely sobering.

12/11/22, 8:36 PM   #33
fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by flagboy55 View Post
That kinda foolishness is why I won’t try to sign on. Nothing like putting ******** front and center
You wouldn't get any further than trying to sign in. And that's a good thing.

1 member likes this post: flagboy55
12/11/22, 8:40 PM   #34
flagboy55

We’ll mr Fish. I would to like to say God Bless you, and you may leave now. Nothing keeping you to be appalled by scourge like 76 and myself but you

12/12/22, 1:51 AM   #35
fxstsb

Too late for the Biggie Rule; the overthrow already happened.

1 member likes this post: flagboy55
12/12/22, 8:48 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevensville Mike View Post
Let me see if I have this straight. I'll do a little MORE math:

For the sake of argument, let us say the track owner is in this event for that amount - $92K. Let us also say the ticket price will remain firm - $25.

The owner will more than likely attempt to find sponsorship of this race from somewhere. For example, Federated Auto Parts. Say they throw in enough sponsor $$$ to make it the Federated Auto Parts 100. This cuts down the track owner's amount thrown into the purse. Federated puts up signs, gives away can coolers, etc., and goes the advertisement way, maybe gets a cut of the t-shirt money for their name/logo is on the shirt, which is how I assume business advertising works - for the most part.

3680 people were required at $92K to break even. If you cut that required number of fans to 3000, you are bringing the track owner's portion of the purse down to $75K. So to make the math work, Federated Auto Parts will have to pony up $17K. That's a lot. Good luck with THAT.

Now maybe you can get Hoosier Tire or VP Fuel to throw in a few thou and chop Federated's overhead for this race down a bit. What are Hoosier and VP getting in return? Maybe a few more smaller sponsors can kick in? Any way it is sliced up, we are still targeting $17K to cover the fans count of only 3000 - down 680 from 3680.

The math IS staggering, I must say, 767.

But if you can get all of the fans to spend $5 at the concession stands, our target fan base is now down to 2500 to break even (with the $17K from the sponsors).

My head is starting to hurt thinking about this. Thanks for bringing these figures to the forefront of this topic. The numbers are definitely sobering.
I'm just guessing here, but I would think the track will need to bring in at least 25k to 30k in sponsorship. Most places have a decent amount of overhead. Also it is not cheap to advertise in Indy. We also have to be honest with ourselves, IRP is not a charity. It is here to make money. Honestly I am impressed with the SC turnaround. Car Counts are good. Equipment quality seems to be improving. Very nice mix of drivers. Over the last 2 seasons, I have went from casual observer to watching every race. Most races actually had good racing somewhere in the field the entire race.

3 members like this post: BrentTFunk, PIT CART, Stevensville Mike
12/12/22, 9:22 AM   #37
Stevensville Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by 767 View Post
I'm just guessing here, but I would think the track will need to bring in at least 25k to 30k in sponsorship....
Thanks for the eye opening numbers, sir. A very informative post it was. I have to admit, I never really thought about it with respect as to how much percentage-wise a sponsor would bring in. I am sure it varies.

But, I always did know that selling hotdogs can make up a lot of ground for a track owner.

Especially when re-working the track is in progress.

1 member likes this post: BrentTFunk
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > 2023 Hoosier 100 Payout