IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Eastern Storm to Susquehanna
1/11/13, 7:46 PM   #1
Eastern Storm to Susquehanna
jdadalt

From Susquehanna Speedway:

USAC Eastern Storm Visits SSP on Sunday, June 9

Newberrytown, PA (January 11, 2013) – After more than 20 years, full-size wingless Sprint Cars will compete at the Newberrytown oval on Sunday, June 9 as the final race of the USAC Eastern Storm Tour. The ARDC Midgets will also be on the racing card. This highly anticipated event will spark the interest of all race fans both young and old. The pit gates will open at 3:30 p.m. for the season opener. Grandstand gates will open at 4:00 p.m. Warm-ups begin at 5:30 p.m. with qualifying at 6:00 p.m. followed by consolation races and feature events. This will be the first-ever USAC-sanctioned event at the SSP.

“We are very excited about the return of the wingless Sprint Cars to SSP,” said Todd Fisher, owner of SSP. “The last time I saw a race like this at SSP was more than twenty years ago when I saw the CRA tour with Leland McSpadden of California took the checkers.”

SSP will begin its pre-season with three open practice sessions for any type of racecar on Wednesday, March 27; Saturday, March 30 and Wednesday, April 3. The gates will open at 5:00 p.m. with practice sessions rotating for each class from 6:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m. During the season, SSP will also host fifteen more Wednesday Night Test & Tune Sessions through Wednesday, October 23. All Wednesday night practices will run from 6:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m. as well.

The Susquehanna Speedway Park is located off I-83 to exit 32, then 1.4 miles NW on SR382 to York Road, then 1.3 miles south. For more information, contact the speedway offices at (717) 292-1696 or visit online at sspracing.net. On raceday, use the track phone at (717) 938-9170 for up-to-date information.

1/11/13, 9:02 PM   #2
hoosierboy05

This will be an amazing show and even better with ARDC. This is a prefect track for usac and a great track for slide jobs after slide jobs. Thank you SSP and usac for putting this together. Can't wait for the best week of the year, the eastern storm.

Posted via Mobile Device

3 members like this post: JETFXR, nathans1012, SC90
1/12/13, 11:20 AM   #3
Re: Eastern Storm to Susquehanna
berks co

This eastern PA USAC fan is very happy about this. Please just let the track surface be decent, I like everything else about Susky and I'm very happy about this .

1 member likes this post: nathans1012
1/12/13, 11:46 AM   #4
treecitytornado

Awesome News! Just add the Grove and we would have it all! Maybe PPMS too!

Posted via Mobile Device

2 members like this post: koolaid89, SC90
1/12/13, 12:25 PM   #5
billw

grandview schedule has wed june 5th as their race and susky on sun june 9th i would have to believe port royal will be back on saturday any ideas where they will race thurs fri?.. was told no new egypt and big diamond schedule is out with no usac... hoping for path valley

1/12/13, 1:27 PM   #6
yeleyfan76

Please stop with the Williams Grove requests. The place is overrated and they don't want it. With plenty of other tracks to run at, let's please move on. Susky is a great addition. The logical option for friday would be Selinsgrove. The local guys won't support this weekend anyway. Let them follow the leader and check their stopwatches all nite at WG and we can watch some good racing elsewhere.

Posted via Mobile Device

1/12/13, 5:27 PM   #7
cowboyhar69

When we ran Williams Grove in 1996 the track was WET and fast and very competitive...the rain on Thursday night and into early friday helped a ton. I didn't go to the CRA race at Susky that Lealand won but I remember talking to C. Ray Halls daughter and wife (who were running the t shirt trailer) a few days after and his daughter said "Lealand won and they had it WET and it was great"...hope it will be that way this year.

Tim Wolffrum aka Cowboy

2 members like this post: koolaid89, nathans1012
1/12/13, 7:57 PM   #8
CRA91

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboyhar69 View Post
When we ran Williams Grove in 1996 the track was WET and fast and very competitive...the rain on Thursday night and into early friday helped a ton. I didn't go to the CRA race at Susky that Lealand won but I remember talking to C. Ray Halls daughter and wife (who were running the t shirt trailer) a few days after and his daughter said "Lealand won and they had it WET and it was great"...hope it will be that way this year.
I was Lealand's crew chief at that time,and the track was in excellent shape,two grooves that were pretty equal and a third groove that only Lealand was running which was basically all four wheels over the cushion.The guy that was putting the race on if I remember correctly was Alan Krietzer who also was running Williams Grove at the time was coming to our hotel daily and asking Lealand what he needed to do to insure a good race,Lealand told him the same thing each day he came by and that was to water,water and water some more and rip the track deep.Lealand told him that if he did that and gave us a good race track that he would personally put on a show that the fans would never forget,and he sure did that,I was a nervous wreck for that main event!!

1/13/13, 3:18 AM   #9
njtraveler

Ran Selinsgrove weekly for four years, one of my favorite tracks in the country,but non wing cars do not need to go there for safety reasons. Plus it would deter some of the few easterners that do "take the top off" which would drop car count for that night. JMO not that it matters. Path Valley would be an awesome addition depending on them being able to afford USAC. Bad ass little place. Clinton County would be neat too.

1/13/13, 8:31 AM   #10
addictedtodirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by njtraveler View Post
non wing cars do not need to go there for safety reasons. Plus it would deter some of the few easterners that do "take the top off" which would drop car count for that night.
Please explain the safety issue to which you refer as I have never been there.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Eastern Storm to Susquehanna