IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > king of the tqs meeting
11/19/14, 10:21 PM   #21
Re: king of the tqs meeting
DAD

Bad

Everybody told me when I went from a F-2 Honda to the R-6 it just wouldn't have the torque to pull the f-2 off of a turn. Well with that extra 2000 rpm's I could gear low scream it and sure could beat them f-2 with Horsepower and Gear.

Put a 836 on a race track with one of them 600cc sidewinders and see who comes off the corner hardest. I don't think you can get the gear you need to get a 4 valve motor up on the cam with out a reduction unit before you get to the rear end.

Honest Dad himself

11/19/14, 10:31 PM   #22
badcoupe

That's always been the problem. Years ago some guys built a car with 600 kaw but they couldn't get enough gear on the small tracks. Granted that was before 10" wheels were available which help a bunch. I agree with the ftz guys on the fact that some of the newer motors have so short of a stroke that they don't work well in minis etc. because the power range is too high for what we do

11/19/14, 10:32 PM   #23
badcoupe

We may have to make this convo private before we give away too many secrets lol

1 member likes this post: DAD
11/19/14, 10:38 PM   #24
DAD

Bad

I just like to get folks thinking a little, "Why Not" and not "that is how we always done it". Maybe we could go back to the 50's when TQ's ran on wheel barrow wheels and tires and we could get the gear low enough. Different wheel and tire size would also dictate chassis changes to compensate for size difference in order to work properly and them little 10" wheels don't seem to work as well as the 13" ones do.

Honest Dad himself
Last edited by DAD; 11/19/14 at 10:49 PM.

11/19/14, 10:40 PM   #25
MC@Performance Fab

I know someone whos building a High Velocity Intake for a TQ at the moment...heh..heh..heh

2 members like this post: DAD, i love dirt track racing
11/19/14, 10:55 PM   #26
DAD

Mc

You are the guy to get them little 4 valve motors enough torque to beat them old Honda's off the turns>

Honest Dad himself

1 member likes this post: MC@Performance Fab
11/19/14, 10:57 PM   #27
badcoupe

There are a few out there going to newer motors I figure this season we'll 4 or 5 instead of two. Tq's are as close to old school midget racing as it gets no two cars are alike and it reflects in the results. You can't go buy parts for 90 percent of the cars it's more custom! I think that's why I love them so much bring an engineering student and engineer in the past before assuming the family business

1 member likes this post: DAD
11/19/14, 11:06 PM   #28
DAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by badcoupe View Post
There are a few out there going to newer motors I figure this season we'll 4 or 5 instead of two. Tq's are as close to old school midget racing as it gets no two cars are alike and it reflects in the results. You can't go buy parts for 90 percent of the cars it's more custom! I think that's why I love them so much bring an engineering student and engineer in the past before assuming the family business

Bad

Agree with you 100%. TQ races are probably the only race group that can supply 40 or 50 cars to a race track. Of these cars I would bet it would be hard to find 5 cars that were constructed by the same frame builder. That in it's self is quite a testimony to original thinking. However it would also be hard to find 10 cars less than 10 years old. A sad state of what all racing has become. Not too many back yard builders anymore and that is a shame.

Honest Dad himself

11/19/14, 11:34 PM   #29
badcoupe

Totally agree lynch is is about the one that had built any newer cars other thana couple of mid tube beasts that are only about 3 seasons old

11/19/14, 11:55 PM   #30
badcoupe

Bob you interested in making a oil pump drive for my suki

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > king of the tqs meeting