IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Sprint car racing... How does one get back in?
4/27/22, 12:53 PM   #1
Sprint car racing... How does one get back in?
hammy711

Sprint car racing... How does one get back in?

Hey guys, I have posted on here before but I'm just going to get to the point. I have been trying for years to get back in Sprint car racing. The racing I love more than anything on earth. I totally understand how racing has changed, its pretty much pay to play now. A rich guy buys a car, puts himself or his kid in it. When I started driving there were several teams you could drive for and this was a relatively small area in the Southwest! What happened???

I have tried putting a Sprint car together but I just don't have the budget I need to do it. Please keep in mind I don’t have a budget “NO MONEY”.

I raced 360s and 410s back in the southwest, built my own stuff. My dad was well known in the 70s and 80s as a chassis builder, but that was then and people cant relate to me, my knowledge and what I have to offer. My career was cut short as my multi-million dollar car owner pulled the plug and kept all my stuff. Thinking I could easily get back in, I opened a business and focused on that, then a few years later, trying to return seemed pretty much impossible. I have a state of the art car designed up in CAD and have the CNCs ready (I run a CNC shop).

I can be a "crew chief" for a season if need be, then talk driving the following year or so. I have a wealth of knowledge in driving and set-ups. (besides my dad, I learned from a lot of heavy hitters).
I'm willing to work with a person, but I'm tired of being out the sport I love so much. Please help a fellow racer out, we can at least talk or heck maybe I can even get invited to a race, wouldn't that be nice...3024018441

P.S. I'm located in Metro Detroit, lets talk!

4 members like this post: Dirt Track Cowboy, ginblueearth, oppweld, tirespinner
4/27/22, 2:35 PM   #2
Re: Sprint car racing... How does one get back in?
Dirt Track Cowboy

Race Count This Year: 3
Race Count Last Year: 32

Good luck

3 members like this post: chrismattlin, hammy711, PIT CART
4/27/22, 3:25 PM   #3
hammy711

Thank you!

4/27/22, 4:58 PM   #4
motorhead748

Probably 2 options ….
1. Bring money to an already established team.
2. Spend money & build your own

I’m not at all being a smartass but do you drive a newer vehicle? Have a boat? Motorcycle? Nice big house in a nice area? A wife or girlfriend? If you really want to race all of these except the last and only if they contribute financially are not necessary.
Good luck however you do it

7 members like this post: jdull99, jonboat15, kendirt, kylenap, mc/rider, racenut69, TQ29m
4/28/22, 9:16 AM   #5
hammy711

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead748 View Post
Probably 2 options ….
1. Bring money to an already established team.
2. Spend money & build your own

I’m not at all being a smartass but do you drive a newer vehicle? Have a boat? Motorcycle? Nice big house in a nice area? A wife or girlfriend? If you really want to race all of these except the last and only if they contribute financially are not necessary.
Good luck however you do it

I don't see it as being a smartass, because at least you replied, usually I get nothing. So I appreciate that. I just didn't want to flood this post because I could go on and on.

I was in racing, I had 3 cars, a 360s, 2 410s and tons of spares. I didn't buy into the team and I didn't build it on my own. I made $6.75 an hour as a base salary and kept my winnings. I lived with my dad, so no rent. I had no car, and no girlfriend. Racing was all I did, I built and maintained cars for the team and drive one.

My dad was building cars and engines since the 60s. He taught me everything he knows but unfortunately everything got cut short when the car owner closed the deal. I was testing in the winter getting ready for the Outlaws. I opened a business to fund my own efforts but it didn't work out, the economy got bad in my area, so I moved around for work. I didn't think it would be that difficult to get back in.

Currently, I make a decent wage but I put the extra in savings. My house is a rental, not big or fancy, no boat, no motorcycle and I drive a company car. Yes, I'm married and she is very supportive. Point is, I don't have money to put in but I do have a wealth of knowledge and that's what I'm offering.

1 member likes this post: motorhead748
4/28/22, 9:49 AM   #6
TQ29m

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammy711 View Post
I don't see it as being a smartass, because at least you replied, usually I get nothing. So I appreciate that. I just didn't want to flood this post because I could go on and on.

I was in racing, I had 3 cars, a 360s, 2 410s and tons of spares. I didn't buy into the team and I didn't build it on my own. I made $6.75 an hour as a base salary and kept my winnings. I lived with my dad, so no rent. I had no car, and no girlfriend. Racing was all I did, I built and maintained cars for the team and drive one.

My dad was building cars and engines since the 60s. He taught me everything he knows but unfortunately everything got cut short when the car owner closed the deal. I was testing in the winter getting ready for the Outlaws. I opened a business to fund my own efforts but it didn't work out, the economy got bad in my area, so I moved around for work. I didn't think it would be that difficult to get back in.

Currently, I make a decent wage but I put the extra in savings. My house is a rental, not big or fancy, no boat, no motorcycle and I drive a company car. Yes, I'm married and she is very supportive. Point is, I don't have money to put in but I do have a wealth of knowledge and that's what I'm offering.
Have to do like Johnny Cash I guess, "one piece at a time ", unless you get lucky and find someone wanting out that would work with you on a plan. Course you still have a lot of start up overhead to factor in, you know the drill, I know I couldn't restart, it is open bank, and don't be shy. Bob

4/28/22, 10:09 AM   #7
staggerman

Check your PM

4/28/22, 10:16 AM   #8
jdull99

Check the IoW classifieds for a great deal. If you can't afford anything there, look up a rental ride. Still can't afford that, keep sponsor hunting til you can. Or if you aren't looking to do any of that, find a team to tag along with, help help help, and after a year or two, maybe they will have another frame sitting around you can start collecting parts for, etc.
Steel$ & Deal$ Swap Meet & Car Shows (next location; TBD...)

4/28/22, 2:56 PM   #9
hammy711

I appreciate the responses guys. I think that's the deal, just getting back out there and talking to people. Its been a a few years so I can wait a few more to drive again, but maybe this way, I can see the light at the end of the tunnel.

1 member likes this post: jdull99
4/28/22, 7:28 PM   #10
Gene Franckowiak

It is hard to decide to deal with someone if they don't list their name ?????.....

5 members like this post: chrismattlin, HurstBros0, jdull99, Ken Bonnema, PIT CART
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Sprint car racing... How does one get back in?