IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Joliet Cancelled
4/29/22, 9:15 PM   #21
Re: Joliet Cancelled
ISF

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathans1012 View Post
If i remember correctly ISC doesn't own the dragstrip or the dirt track. The Dragstip & dirt track were built around 1998 and the NASCAR track came a few years later in 2001. I was at the 1st dirt late model race there.
I was at the first one, too (was at the first dirt open wheel race there, as well). A friend and neighbor was racing a DLM at that time. The dirt track was considerably longer than it is now and the dirt contained a lot of gravel. IIRC there were some people in the stands who got hit kinda' nastily with rocks. The lower rows of the bleachers were empty and you could hear the gravel hitting the aluminum bleachers.
Last edited by ISF; 4/30/22 at 1:41 PM.

4/29/22, 10:05 PM   #22
nathans1012

Race Count This Year: 7
Race Count Last Year: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISF View Post
I was at the first one, too (was at the first dirt open wheel race there, as well). A friend and neighbor was racing a DLM at that time. The dirt track was considerably longer than it is now and the dirt contained a lot of gravel. IIRC there were some people in the stands who got hit kinda' nastily with rocks. The lower rows of the were empty and you could hear the gravel hitting the aluminum bleachers.

Yep. Felt like getting hit and peged by pea gravel. The old track made the dirt track at Charlotte and Texas look small and their both 4/10s miles.

4/30/22, 12:20 AM   #23
flagboy55

I’ve never been great at math but isn’t that really a 2/5ths?

2 members like this post: captrat, nathans1012
4/30/22, 12:26 AM   #24
nathans1012

Race Count This Year: 7
Race Count Last Year: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by flagboy55 View Post

1 member likes this post: flagboy55
4/30/22, 12:50 PM   #25
The Old Coyote

Quote:
Originally Posted by flagboy55 View Post
No, Flag Boy, two fifths is when the police question you twice!

1 member likes this post: Oleman61x
4/30/22, 4:27 PM   #26
sw1911

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISF View Post
Dirt Oval Route 66 is a one of the nicest racing facilities of any kind we've ever attended. It's less than an hour drive for us. We've supported all the racing held there and have had both good experiences and some not so good. From the outside looking in it's impossible for us to determine why the place seems never to really catch on. As mere spectators we've gotten burned a couple of times (see USAC National Midgets/All Star winged sprint cars a few years ago) but we will still support the place since it's an obvious asset to local racing.

It's perplexing how demo derby's and monster trucks will nearly sell the place out but racing can't seem to be sustained.
Dilution of the gene pool

1 member likes this post: racenut69
4/30/22, 4:36 PM   #27
TQ29m

You might have to explain that to the new truth czar! Lol

4/30/22, 11:27 PM   #28
BrentTFunk

Didn't Dale Coyne build the dirt track and drag strip. Thought he sold them when the big track was built.

1 member likes this post: jdull99
5/2/22, 1:31 AM   #29
flagboy55

Brent, I could very well be wrong but I think he was involved with the deal that turned what was the horse track I believe was Sportsman’s Park into a race track.

5/2/22, 2:06 AM   #30
BrentTFunk

Ganassi was the guy behind Sportsmans Park. The catch fence ended up at Kokomo, Montpelier, Springfield mile, and Fairbury. Pretty sure it was Dale Coyne. IMS was very active in getting the big track built.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Joliet Cancelled