IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Joliet Cancelled
4/28/22, 4:46 PM   #11
Re: Joliet Cancelled
racenut69

Sadly,I see this turning out like Kentucky Lake Speedway....
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingedsprint47 View Post
I read an article a couple of years ago after Chicagoland lost its Nascar dates, that the property could eventually be turned into housing development. That track is one of the nicest dirt track facilities around, and it only has a few shows a year. Not too many places have a concrete pit area for the teams

4/28/22, 10:53 PM   #12
B99

Quote:
Originally Posted by racenut69 View Post
Sadly,I see this turning out like Kentucky Lake Speedway....
Considering the promoter is the same I’d bet even money on it

1 member likes this post: racenut69
4/29/22, 12:13 AM   #13
nathans1012

Race Count This Year: 7
Race Count Last Year: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by B99 View Post
Considering the promoter is the same I’d bet even money on it

It has nothing to do with the promoter! She was a racer her self and put a bunch back into the track!

1 member likes this post: erich45
4/29/22, 10:21 AM   #14
Scott Daloisio

Quote:
Originally Posted by oppweld View Post
It's our Microwave mentality society. Big loud flashy events.
Sadly, it is like that everywhere.

3 members like this post: jdull99, Ken Bonnema, oppweld
4/29/22, 2:26 PM   #15
The Old Coyote

Another great example of this was Illiana Speedway in Schererville Indiana. I was there for what turned out to be it's last race, The Bettenhausen, a few years ago.

They had a decent car count, probably more than 30 and I hung around the pit until the feature was getting ready to roll out. When I saw the grandstand, I was shocked! It was virtually empty.

The following Saturday, I happened to be driving by Illiana and traffic was backed up on Route 30 both east and west and the parking lot, which is very large, was practicably full!.
There was a demolition derby and school bus race going on. UNBELIEVABLE!!!

3 members like this post: jdull99, oppweld, TQ29m
4/29/22, 4:27 PM   #16
BrentTFunk

I think for this track to remain open, all 3 tracks have to be operating. Not sure when the last time the drag strip ran. The mile and a half track is a big piece of this puzzle. Heard a couple of months ago, this area was offered to build a new Bears Stadium. I don't think they were interested. Not sure if ISC owns all 3 tracks or not. A facility like that eats money when they sit empty.
As for the demo derbies, packing the place, chalk that up to hillbillification.

5 members like this post: captrat, ISF, oppweld, Speedwrench, TQ29m
4/29/22, 4:34 PM   #17
The Old Coyote

"hillbillification"
The word of the day!

6 members like this post: BrentTFunk, ISF, luckybuc97, oppweld, racenut69, TQ29m
4/29/22, 5:02 PM   #18
TQ29m

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrentTFunk View Post
I think for this track to remain open, all 3 tracks have to be operating. Not sure when the last time the drag strip ran. The mile and a half track is a big piece of this puzzle. Heard a couple of months ago, this area was offered to build a new Bears Stadium. I don't think they were interested. Not sure if ISC owns all 3 tracks or not. A facility like that eats money when they sit empty.
Big sister is watching you!

2 members like this post: BrentTFunk, oppweld
4/29/22, 6:40 PM   #19
Daisy's dad

Quote:
My brother and I ran the two-ambulance EMS service at a local speedway for close to 14 years back in the mid '70s until '89. We were then, and to this day, big time sprint car fans. The couple of times each year that the track had a demolition derby, the makeup of the people both in the stands and in the pits was totally different than who you would encounter during every other race of the year. We just kept our heads down and did our job. The promoter was always happy, as the place was packed, and it made up for the losses from the regular weekly races. Looks like nothing has changed over the years.
Last edited by Daisy's dad; 4/29/22 at 6:42 PM. Reason: misspelled word

3 members like this post: BrentTFunk, cowboyhar69, oldfan49
4/29/22, 7:19 PM   #20
nathans1012

Race Count This Year: 7
Race Count Last Year: 34

Quote:

If i remember correctly ISC doesn't own the dragstrip or the dirt track. The Dragstip & dirt track were built around 1998 and the NASCAR track came a few years later in 2001. I was at the 1st dirt late model race there.
Last edited by nathans1012; 4/29/22 at 7:33 PM.

2 members like this post: BrentTFunk, jdull99
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Joliet Cancelled