IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Closed Thread  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Usac: Usac/cra sprint cars debut at mohave valley saturday
4/19/22, 9:10 PM   #1
Usac: Usac/cra sprint cars debut at mohave valley saturday
admin

4/19/22 9:05 PM USAC/CRA SPRINT CARS DEBUT AT MOHAVE VALLEY SATURDAY

http://usacracing.com/news/sprint-ca...alley-saturday

USAC/CRA SPRINT CARS DEBUT AT MOHAVE VALLEY SATURDAY*

By Lance Jennings

APRIL 19, 2022... For the first time in series history, the AMSOIL USAC/CRA Sprint Cars will battle at Mohave Valley Raceway this Saturday, April 23rd. Promoted by Ron Meyer, the seventh point race will also feature Street Stocks, Mini Sports, and Non-Winged 600 Micro Sprints. Located at 2750 Laguna Road in Mohave Valley, Arizona, the pit gates at the 1/3-mile track will open at 3:00pm, the spectator gates will open at 6:00pm, with racing scheduled for 7:00pm. For more information, visit mohavevalleyracceway.com or call 928.346.3000.

NOTICE TO RACERS:*

- ALL RACERS MUST PURCHASE THEIR USAC LICENSE / MEMBERSHIPS ONLINE PRIOR TO THE EVENT AT USACRACING.COM OR USACLICENSE.COM. (If racers have a membership question, contact Julie Tanaka at julietanaka@aol.com.)

- APPROVED/LEGAL TIRES: Due to the current tire shortages, ANY Hoosier Right Rear Tire is legal for competition until further notice. All four corners must be Hoosier.

- APPROVED/LEGAL MUFFLERS: Mufflers ARE NOT REQUIRED at Mohave Valley Raceway.

- ENTRY FEE: There is an entry fee due at registration / pill pick.

- TRANSPONDERS: Transponders ARE MANDATORY and will be available to rent.

- ONE WAY RADIOS / RACECEIVERS: One way radios ARE MANDATORY.

- FRONT AXLE TETHER SYSTEMS: Front axle tether systems (2-Chassis, 1-King Pin to King Pin) ARE MANDATORY.

- FULL CONTAINMENT SEATS: Full containment seats ARE MANDATORY.

- COCKPIT ADJUSTABLE SHOCKS: Cockpit adjustable shocks ARE ALLOWED.

- RULE BOOK: The USAC/CRA Sprint Car Series Rule Book can be found online at usacracing.com.

-* Protocol calls for competitors, crews, officials, and anyone on the grounds to practice safe social distancing, proper sanitizing, and follow local regulations regarding the COVID-19 Coronavirus.

SPECIAL NOTICE AT MOHAVE VALLEY:

- CASH ONLY: Mohave Valley Raceway is a cash only facility. Pit Passes can be paid in advance using the Pit Pay App. The app is available for free at the Apple App Store and Google Play.

- 360 BONUS: Track promoter Ron Meyer will pay an extra $300 to the highest finishing 360 Sprint Car. Racers must declare at registration / pill pick.

- PIT AREA PARKING: Personal vehicles or side by sides, etc are NOT allowed in the pits. If it is not towing the race car/truck, on the trailer with the car, or in the trailer with the car, then it will NOT be allowed. NO exceptions!

While new to USAC/CRA, the 1/3-mile oval has hosted the wingless SCRA 410 Sprint Cars on four occasions. Ron Shuman (1994), Steve Ostling (1995), J.J. Yeley (1996), and Richard Griffin (1998) raced to victory at Mohave Valley. Ostling set the SCRA track record of 14.95 on September 30, 1995.

“The Demon” Damion Gardner (Concord, California) heads to Mohave Valley with a stout 99-point advantage over the competition. Piloting Mark Alexander’s #1 PerformanceOnline.com / Carman Trucking Spike, Gardner has four main event wins, two Woodland Auto Display Fast Time Awards, five heat race wins, six top-10 finishes, and 96 feature laps led on the year. The “World’s Fastest Sprint Car Driver” has ninety-three series wins and will be looking to claim his first win at Mohave Valley.*

“Chargin” Charles Davis Jr. (Buckeye, Arizona) ranks second in the chase for the championship. Driving his #47 MP Environmental Services / Black Magic Bead Breaker DRC, Davis has one heat race victory, one Wilwood Disc Brakes Lucky 13 Award, five top-10 finishes, and 11 feature laps led to his credit. The seven-time Arizona Sprint Car Champion has four USAC/CRA triumphs and will have his sights on the Mohave Valley win.

Matt Mitchell (Yorba Linda, California) sits third in the USAC/CRA point chase. Racing his #37 Roy Miller Freight Lines / Campbell Brothers Storage Maxim, Mitchell has one Woodland Auto Display Fast Time Award, one semi-main win, and five top-10 finishes on the season. The 2014 USAC West Coast 360 Sprint Car Champion has seven career USAC/CRA wins and will be looking to celebrate another victory this Saturday night.*

“The Big Game Hunter” Austin Williams (Yorba Linda, California) is tied for third in the championship standings. Piloting the family owned #2 Digalert / Full Throttle Scissor Lift Rental DRC, Williams has one Woodland Auto Display Fast Time Award, two heat race victories, and four top-10 finishes in the campaign. “The Big Game Hunter” has eleven series triumphs and will have his sights on winning at Mohave Valley.

Logan Williams (Yorba Linda, California) is fifth in the USAC/CRA championship points. Piloting John McCarthy’s #5W Flowdynamics Incorporated / Drinkpak DRC, Williams has one heat race victory and three top-10 finishes on the season. Logan will be looking for the first win of his career this Saturday night.*

Nate Schank (Santa Rosa, California) leads the chase for Rookie of the Year honors. Piloting the family owned #1$ Joe Hunt Magnetos / Industrial Machine Maxim, Schank has one heat race victory, two Wilwood Disc Brakes Lucky 13 Awards, and one top-10 finish to his credit.*

Among the other drivers expected to be in action are Eddie Tafoya Jr., “Thunder” Tommy Malcolm, Matt McCarthy, “The Cadillac” Cody Williams, Verne Sweeney, Chris Gansen, “T-Dub” Trent Williams, “Shugah” Shane Sexton, Austin Grabowski, Jeff Dyer, Jake Hodges, Steve Hix, Chris Bonneau, and more.

Mohave Valley Raceway is located at 2750 Laguna Road in Mohave Valley, Arizona. For more event information, visit the track’s website at mohavevalleyracceway.com or call 928.346.3000. Mohave Valley Raceway is a cash only facility and grandstand tickets are available on race day. General Admission tickets are $20, Senior tickets (60 & over) are $18, Military tickets (with ID) are $18, Children tickets (6 to 12) are $10, and Children (5 and under) are FREE. Outside food, beverages, and ice chests are not permitted.

The AMSOIL USAC/CRA Sprint Car Series thanks Bill’s Jerky, Factory Wraps, Flowdynamics, Hoosier Racing Tire, In Memory of Jim and Chet Gardner, Laserworx Manufacturing, Woodland Auto Display, BR Motorsports, Competition Suspension Incorporated, Extreme Mufflers, Rod End Supply, Vahlco Wheels, and Wilwood Disc Brakes for their support. If you or your company would like to become part of the series, contact Tony Jones at tonyjonesracing@gmail.com or PR Director Lance Jennings at lwjennings@earthlink.net.

For more information on the AMSOIL USAC/CRA Sprint Car Series, visit the United States Auto Club (USAC) website at usacracing.com and the social media for USAC Racing. You can also find exclusive content on the USAC/CRA Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram pages.*

-----------------------------------------------

AMSOIL USAC/CRA SPRINT CAR CHAMPIONS: 2004-Rip Williams, 2005-Damion Gardner, 2006-Cory Kruseman, 2007-Tony Jones, 2008-Mike Spencer, 2009-Mike Spencer, 2010-Mike Spencer, 2011-Mike Spencer, 2012-Mike Spencer, 2013-Damion Gardner, 2014-Damion Gardner, 2015-Damion Gardner, 2016-Damion Gardner, 2017-Damion Gardner, 2018-Damion Gardner, 2019-Damion Gardner, 2020-NO AWARD, 2021-Damion Gardner

2022 AMSOIL USAC/CRA SPRINT CAR WINS: 4-Damion Gardner, 1-Ryan Bernal, 1-Austin Liggett.

2022 AMSOIL USAC/CRA SPRINT CAR POINT STANDINGS: 1. Damion Gardner-479, 2. Charles Davis Jr.-380, 3. Matt Mitchell-358, -. Austin Williams-358, 5. Logan Williams-320, 6. Eddie Tafoya Jr.-288, 7. Tommy Malcolm-275, 8. Nate Schank ®-252, 9. Ricky Lewis ®-235, 10. Matt McCarthy-234, 11. Cody Williams-227, 12. Chase Johnson-223, 13. Verne Sweeney-219, 14. Chris Gansen-200, 15. Brody Roa-195, 16. Trent Williams-156, 17. Mike Martin-147, 18. Shane Sexton-143, 19. Austin Grabowski-135, --. Austin Liggett-135, 21. Travis Buckley-109, 22. Ryan Bernal-106, 23. Jeff Dyer-104, 24. Danny Parrish-102, 25. A.J. Bender-100, 26. Tanner Boul-92, 27. Dustin Cormany-89, 28. Jess Beckett-87, 29. Dustin Burkhart-74, 30. Brody Fuson-66, 31. Danny Sheridan-61, --. Logan Calderwood-61, 33. Jake Hodges-58, 34. Jonas Reynolds-57, 35. Dawson Faria-53, 36. J.J. Yeley-47, 37. Steve Hix-44, 38. Austin Ervine-37, 39. Stevie Sussex-35, --. Christopher Muraoka-35, 41. Dan Taylor-34, 42. Gary Marshall Jr.-33, 43. Kyle Edwards-30, 44. Ikaika O'Brien-29, 45. Chris Bonneau-27, 46. Ryan Timmons-24, 47. Sterling Cling-13, 48. Tuesday Calderwood-10.

2022 AMSOIL USAC/CRA SPRINT CAR SCHEDULE:

January 27: Cocopah Speedway – Yuma, AZ (Winner: Damion Gardner)

January 28: Cocopah Speedway – Yuma, AZ (Winner: Damion Gardner)

January 29: Cocopah Speedway – Yuma, AZ (Winner: Damion Gardner)

March 4: Thunderbowl Raceway – Tulare, CA (Rained Out)

March 5: Keller Auto Speedway – Hanford, CA (Rained Out)

March 26: Perris Auto Speedway – Perris, CA (Winner: Damion Gardner)

April 1: Keller Auto Speedway – Hanford, CA (Winner: Austin Liggett)

April 2: Thunderbowl Raceway – Tulare, CA (Winner: Ryan Bernal)

April 23: Mohave Valley Raceway – Mohave Valley, AZ

April 30: Perris Auto Speedway – Perris, CA (Sokola Shootout)

May 14: Bakersfield Speedway – Bakersfield, CA

May 28: Perris Auto Speedway – Perris, CA (Salute to Indy)

June 11: Ventura Raceway – Ventura, CA

June 25: Perris Auto Speedway – Perris, CA (Bubby Jones & Ray Sheetz Memorial)

July 2: TBA

July 8: Keller Auto Speedway – Hanford, CA (Spanky Mathews Memorial)

July 9: Thunderbowl Raceway – Tulare, CA

August 6: TBA

August 20: Perris Auto Speedway – Perris, CA (California Racers Hall of Fame Night)

September 3: Bakersfield Speedway – Bakersfield, CA

September 4: TBA*

September 17: Perris Auto Speedway – Perris, CA (Glenn Howard Classic)

October 1: Perris Auto Speedway – Perris, CA

October 8: Mohave Valley Raceway – Mohave Valley, AZ

October 28: *TBA (Western World Championships)

October 29: *TBA (Western World Championships)

November 3: *Perris Auto Speedway – Perris, CA (Oval Nationals)

November 4: *Perris Auto Speedway – Perris, CA (Oval Nationals)

November 5: *Perris Auto Speedway – Perris, CA (Oval Nationals)

-----------------------------------------------

* = Co-Sanctioned Event with AMSOIL USAC National Sprint Cars.

TBA = To Be Announced.* **

This schedule is subject to change.

2 members like this post: opnwhlmnd, TNRustler
4/20/22, 8:26 AM   #2
Re: Usac: Usac/cra sprint cars debut at mohave valley saturd
The Old Coyote

I don't see this one on the FloRacing schedule. It seems to me like all the NASCRAP local coverage is pushing sprint cars out.

4/20/22, 2:21 PM   #3
The Old Coyote

My bad! I see it on the schedule now.

1 member likes this post: chrismattlin
4/20/22, 9:02 PM   #4
chrismattlin

Can anyone tell me more about this track? Has it always been called Mohave Valley? I can't recall anything about it.

4/21/22, 12:24 AM   #5
cowboyhar69

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrismattlin View Post
Can anyone tell me more about this track? Has it always been called Mohave Valley? I can't recall anything about it.
50 minutes southwest of Kingman off interstate 40. Never knew the place existed

Tim Wolffrum aka Cowboy

1 member likes this post: chrismattlin
4/21/22, 12:34 AM   #6
cowboyhar69

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrismattlin View Post
50 minutes southwest of Kingman off interstate 40. Never knew the place existed. Close to the California border off of the Needles, California exit off of Interstate 40. NO mufflers required!!

Tim Wolffrum aka Cowboy
Last edited by cowboyhar69; 4/21/22 at 12:36 AM.

2 members like this post: chrismattlin, erich45
4/21/22, 7:40 PM   #7
Scott Daloisio

It is a pretty cool track that I think has been around since the late 1980s or early 90s. Has always been named Mohave Valley Raceway. Last year longtime second-generation racers Bill and Ron Meyer bought the track. Their days go back to the 1950s or 1960s when their father raced at the Heidelberg Raceway just outside of Pittsburgh. The family moved to the West Coast in the 1960s and the two brothers became well-known stock car racers around So Cal including Ascot.

They called me to come over and announce three races when 2021 season began as the longtime track announcer was having some health issues. Very racy 1/3 mile semi-banked clay oval. Since they took over a little over a year ago they have added lights, put in a new sound system, just installed a new catch fence, added clay in the corners and they just ordered a new scoreboard. Great promoters and super nice people. Highly recommend this track if you get out here to the west.

The last time I had been in that area was when my family first came from Michigan to California for on vacation. It was 1963 and I was six-years-old. So, the only thing I remember about it was playing in the swimming pool at the hotel with my dad. I remembered nothing of the drive. Once you get off the 15 in Barstow and onto Interstate 40, it is 140 miles to Mohave Valley and there is virtually nothing except desert landscape (very cool landscape and you even go through an old volcano lava field).

I did not remember anything about that road from when I was last there as a kid. The trip was about 250 each way from my home in So Cal and I had planned on driving home right after. Once I saw that road with almost nothing - and I mean nothing but a couple of gas stations and small restaurants in the middle - I started having second thoughts. A friend who was racing the first night got downwind that I planned on driving home and said, "bull $%^#, if you go off that road in the middle of the night, nobody will find you until Tuesday." He had some hotel comps and gave me a room at Harrah's in Laughlin, Nevada. That is one of the cool perks of racing at Mojave Valley. You are only minutes east of the Colorado River and 20 minutes south of Laughlin.

As Tim mentioned above, the off-ramp is the Needles, California exit and the ramp dumps you in front of a gas station that has outrageous prices. When I first went there the first week of February 2021, gas in Southern California was around $2.65. That station was $4.99!!! Another station a few blocks down was only a few cents cheaper. But, three miles later on the same road and into Arizona, it was $1.97!!! And, if you need ammunition the first store selling it is about 30 seconds into Arizona (even more in Bullhead City, along with drive-up liquor stores).

Once again, I highly recommend this track if you come west. You can make a weekend of it after the races at the river or in Laughlin.
Last edited by Scott Daloisio; 4/21/22 at 7:43 PM.

Closed Thread Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Usac: Usac/cra sprint cars debut at mohave valley saturday