IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Off Topic - IndyCar & Milwaukee Mile coming back
3/27/22, 12:14 AM   #11
Re: Off Topic - IndyCar & Milwaukee Mile coming back
nathans1012

Race Count This Year: 7
Race Count Last Year: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosier race fan View Post
There are several markets that IndyCar could potentially have 2 races in at 2 different tracks. Some track owners are reluctant to share their market with another track, but maybe IndyCar could get creative and push some combo ticket packages to get more fans to attend both races/tracks. I’d love to see IndyCar run a 20 race schedule, but the teams don’t seem to support that. I know many of these tracks don’t host IndyCar anymore and maybe some doors have been closed, but here are some ideas for combo packages.

Indy Oval and Road Course (or IRP considering the crowd size at Texas)
COTA and Texas (since they are the only 1.5 mile oval IndyCar will visit)
Road America and Milwaukee Mile
Sonoma and Laguna Seca
Mid-Ohio and Burke Lakefront Airport (bring it back)
Nashville Street and Nashville Super Speedway (bring it back)
Iowa and Gateway (close enough)
Long Beach and Auto Club (probably never going back)
Detroit and Michigan (also probably never going back)
1. Be cool to see a race at IRP. I don't care for the Indy Road Course with the IndyCars. F1 is better. I was at the 1st F1 race there in 2000 and the racing was pretty good.

2. I'm not a fan of COTA. It a typical new F1 track designed by their head idiot architect Hermann Tilke. The the tracks he's designed are boring. IMO. Texas has good racing but no fan support. Maybe due to not a lot of advertising of the race.

3. I like both Road America & the Milwaukee Mile

4. I like Laguna Seca

5. Mid-Ohio is a good race. I have always liked the races at the Burke Lakrfront Airport when CART was there. Thought it was one of the top races each year. 5 wide at the start into turn 1.

6. The Nashville Street race was a joke last year. The Super Speedway is decent racing.

7. Iowa and Gateway are both good race in my opinion.

8. I love the Street Race at Long Beach. Auto Club Speedway hasn't had the best racing and I have bad memories of the Greg Moore accident on the grass inside of turn 4 near the pit lane.

9. I'm not a fan of doubleheader events like they run at Detriot. Go find another track. I liked when they raced at Michigan and the crazy speeds. Thought the racing was good.

10. THOUGHT. NASCAR is in talks with Chicago about a Street Race in Grant Park near the lake Front. Now I do watch their races, but I don't like the idea of a NASCAR Cup Series Street Race in any way. I think a properly promoted and advertised Street Race would would be good if the track layout was thought out with some intelligence. The racing at Chicagoland speedway was ok but it wasn't great either which I think is what led to it's demise. I think the design of the track in Joliet was horriable with no thought.

11. Let's get Roger to build another Nazerath in a better location that could have fan support or build a new oval track specifically with IndyCar racing in mind.

12. BUT SINCE WHERE ON THE TOPIC. NOW A STREET RACE IN DOWNTOWN NEW YORK CITY (MANHATTEN) WOULD BE FUNNY BUT WHO KNOWS THOUGH. MAYBE WITH THE RIGHT PLANNING IT COULD TURN INTO A GOOD STREET RACE.

Just My opinions.
Last edited by nathans1012; 3/27/22 at 12:23 AM.

4 members like this post: chrismattlin, jdull99, sw1911, tirespinner
3/27/22, 2:23 AM   #12
Stevensville Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by PIT CART View Post
I would love to see them at Michigan 🤔🤞
Oh.... I could be talked into that in a heartbeat. But it is a pipe dream.

Now, Milwaukee..... saw a couple of races there 20 some years back. I felt a "rush" come over me the first time I went there and walked out into the infield. Looking out the backstretch I could see the houses out on the street, remembering when I was a little guy watching on TV thinking, "Man, those guys have it made! They can watch the race FREE from their front porch."

Then we walked across the street to Paulie's Bar and Grill and had some drink and grub. Then walked back across the street and watched Kenny Brack show them how it is supposed to be done.

I could easily be talked back into THIS one. Let us hope the winds blow us softly home that way.

4 members like this post: BrentTFunk, chrismattlin, jdull99, tirespinner
3/27/22, 3:12 AM   #13
jdull99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevensville Mike View Post
Oh.... I could be talked into that in a heartbeat. But it is a pipe dream.

Now, Milwaukee..... saw a couple of races there 20 some years back. I felt a "rush" come over me the first time I went there and walked out into the infield. Looking out the backstretch I could see the houses out on the street, remembering when I was a little guy watching on TV thinking, "Man, those guys have it made! They can watch the race FREE from their front porch."

Then we walked across the street to Paulie's Bar and Grill and had some drink and grub. Then walked back across the street and watched Kenny Brack show them how it is supposed to be done.

I could easily be talked back into THIS one. Let us hope the winds blow us softly home that way.
I was at that one too! (think it was the last time I was there in the OLD stands - 1st time was the 1994 Penske dominated/Al Jr win). In 2001 (when Brack won) went with a guy from work (he was more in to street cars and stuff and once he saw a rear engine open wheel race on TV that spring and then realized he could see them live, he bought tix) and then introduced him to the REAL racing at Sun Prairie that night (dad was running). We all watched a 16yr old Bobby East tear up a Steve Lewis painted car on the back straight too.
Steel$ & Deal$ Swap Meet & Car Shows (next location; TBD...)

3 members like this post: John P Huss, Stevensville Mike, tirespinner
3/27/22, 5:04 AM   #14
mc/rider

Race Count This Year: 42

Indy cars on mile dirt

3 members like this post: racenut69, tirespinner, TNRustler
3/27/22, 8:12 AM   #15

Yes I want ovals, BUT and this is a big BUT, Indy Car has to want them to! The racing has to be consistently good. I have been to every race at Gateway. Most of them have a very good moment or 2, but overall it produces very little passing. When it comes to Texas, STOP CRYING ABOUT THE PJ1!!! Its not going away, you don't draw crowds like NASCAR. Either figure out how to take advantage of it, or go away. Racing was far better this year than the last 2. If that is because of the 6 cars practicing up there, force every single car up there. Look at the tiny show in Ft. Wayne. Even those guys are smart enough to make the cars race a higher line on Friday then they do on Saturday. I want ovals, but I do not want to watch parades. You should never have more passing on a road course than on an oval. now the 1 thing I like about Milwaukee, it should force Indycar to work on the short oval package which hopefully will help Gateway.

1 member likes this post: tirespinner
3/27/22, 10:45 AM   #16
chrismattlin

Quote:
12. BUT SINCE WHERE ON THE TOPIC. NOW A STREET RACE IN DOWNTOWN NEW YORK CITY (MANHATTEN) WOULD BE FUNNY BUT WHO KNOWS THOUGH. MAYBE WITH THE RIGHT PLANNING IT COULD TURN INTO A GOOD STREET RACE.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lEtwYZ0PepM

3/27/22, 10:51 AM   #17
Midget98

Quote:
Originally Posted by mc/rider View Post
Indy cars on mile dirt
They still have that... it's called USAC Silver Crown.

3/27/22, 12:23 PM   #18
jdull99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackduce View Post
Miles can be good and a few not so good. The Dover was bad. They built a concrete track surface.
We went there for the first tire test. And the surface was so abrasive. On every time out, we could not get 7 laps off a rf. We left and begged them not to send us there. We'll, we did and at the end of the race they were 7 cars still running. One bad mile not raceable.

Lynn
Where u on a team? Had to be a heck of an experience!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dover_Motor_Speedway

I actly forgot IRL ran there twice! (u'da thought the 1st time woulda scared them off...lol). & there was a USAC sanctioned event in 1969! (I'm certain that was blacktop not concrete)

USAC Championship Car results

1969[4] August 24 Delaware 200 57 Art Pollard Gerhardt Plymouth 200 1:36:01 124.978

Indy Racing League results

1998[31] July 18 Pep Boys 400K 8 Scott Sharp Kelley Racing Dallara Oldsmobile 248

1999[32] August 1 MBNA Mid-Atlantic 200 2 Greg Ray Team Menard Dallara Oldsmobile 200
Last edited by jdull99; 3/27/22 at 12:26 PM.

1 member likes this post: tirespinner
3/27/22, 12:43 PM   #19
jdull99

Dover 99 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GsNYBIUsa7w

1 member likes this post: nathans1012
3/27/22, 2:24 PM   #20
ISF

From a spectator perspective Milwaukee and Indy Cars are a good fit. The tradition, history and folk lore combined with generally above average racing would seem to be a very good combination. Lack of interest is hard to figure. Hopefully that will go different if Milwaukee ends up back on the schedule.

With that said, the two best Indy car races I've ever witnessed were waged at Chicagoland Speedway. No. 1 being the year Al Jr. and Hornish raced the last 30some laps for the lead side by side at well over 200 MPH with Hornish ending up the winner by just thousandths of a second. A great one also happened several years ago at Texas but the details escape me now. Why oval track venues that provide that high quality racing can't draw big crowds, TV viewership and wider fan interest when some street courses do is an ongoing mystery.
Last edited by ISF; 3/27/22 at 2:25 PM.

4 members like this post: jdull99, luckybuc97, racenut69, tirespinner
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Off Topic - IndyCar & Milwaukee Mile coming back