IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum

Register! Forgot Password?
hoscalecody (Offline)
  #1 9/30/16 9:50 PM
Hello I was looking for advice on whether or not to buy a car from Canada. So I seen a nice lightning sprint in Canada for a great price hes selling it for $5000 CAD which equals with exchange rate right now $3808 USD but I always heard there is taxes or whatever to bring it across the border is that so or no for instance we knew someone that bought a side by side in Canada but it got stuck at the border for a month because he didn't know there was quite a bit of extra fees to bring it across and didn't have the money at the time for fees but didn't know if that would happen with a race car or not. Any advice is helpful!
jim goerge (Offline)
  #2 10/1/16 12:07 AM
Check for hockey pucks
Charles Nungester (Offline)
  #3 10/1/16 12:29 AM
It will probably have a miss every now and then and go Eh instead of RRRR.

It will come with a handle on top for Curling.

Charles Nungester
4 Likes: Bostonian, jim goerge, mc/rider, Z-man
motorhead748 (Offline)
  #4 10/1/16 6:22 AM
I have no idea but if fees are involved with bringing a complete car , maybe you could take it apart and bring it back in pieces?
Dick Mahoney (Offline)
  #5 10/1/16 7:09 AM
no fees going from US to Canada only the tax Don't know about the other way Just call the border
Can26 (Offline)
  #6 10/1/16 8:29 AM
I have bought a few from the US to Canada. If you would like, you can give me a call at five one nine- six three seven- eight zero eight zero. I may have some tips to help.
Backitin (Offline)
  #7 10/3/16 7:52 AM
I have bought a couple speedwaybikes from Canada. I have always had them meet me on the US side because I have no passport nor do I want one. Guys from NY race in Canada a couple times a year and never have any trouble getting thru with race stuff. If it were me I wouldn't mention that I just bought anything that doesn't come with a title, I am just crossing with my race car or bike.
Graham08 (Offline)
  #8 10/3/16 8:37 AM
Originally Posted by Backitin:
If it were me I wouldn't mention that I just bought anything that doesn't come with a title, I am just crossing with my race car or bike.
Don't try this. It can land you in big trouble, or at least your new purchase stuck at the border for a period of time while they sort it all out. I heard a story about something like this that went wrong, and only got worse because of stupidity on the part of the guys trying to get the car from Canada to the US. I don't think anyone went to jail, but they did end up having to shell out cash to get their car home.

I would get all the specifics nailed down from someone official (not just an internet forum) about getting the car over the border before making the deal.
bart smith (Offline)
  #9 10/4/16 2:01 AM
no problem bringing it in , 5 % tax and thats all . foreign cars atv motorcycles are much more .
Dick Monahan (Offline)
  #10 10/4/16 9:36 AM
Many years ago, I knew a guy who built cars that were among the best in New England and that were superstars in Canada, which seemed to be a couple of years behind us in the latest technology. In addition to his weekly winnings, he made a few bucks selling the up-to-date parts from the car. Finally, he got a request for a whole new car. He made a deal that the customer had to pay a relatively high price, plus supply a "trade-in". My acquaintance towed a brand-new race car into Canada on a Saturday, and returned home with a very beat-up car, painted identically. "Looks like it was a bad night," said one of the customs inspectors on the return trip, noting how bad the car looked. Of course, the late-night inspector was not the same guy as the guy who saw the car go into Canada in the afternoon. It worked so well, he did it a number of times. As far as I know, he was never caught at it.