IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum

Register! Forgot Password?
Aces&Eights (Offline)
  #1 4/10/16 12:54 PM
I'm new to sprints and learning as much possible as quick as I can. I've been looking into the "GM602 Crate" based wingless idea and
one of the issues pointed out was a modification to the cam for rear drive pumps. All my questions are Only in regards to wingless Sprints.

1) Do all sprints require cam modifications for pumps or are cams ordered with mounting holes already included?
2) Are there other ways utilized or is the rear cam drive the standard?
3) If you were starting a "New" Non-wing Series/Sanction and it was geared more towards lower costs/entry level.
What engine package would be most appealing? Crates or Spec?

4) If crate was the choice, which crate would be most appealing? GM602, GM604 or maybe GM SP383?
5) If it were a Spec engine, what would be the most appealing package and displacement?
6) Lastly, the northern 602 Wingless cars are not serviceable engines. Would you rather the engines be rebuild-able or throw away?
7) What sort of tire rule would be good for keeping costs in consideration?

thanks
latemodel55 (Offline)
  #2 4/10/16 2:10 PM
Check this out. Has been working very good for us.
irawinglesssprints.com.
Aces&Eights (Offline)
  #3 4/10/16 3:37 PM
Originally Posted by latemodel55:
Check this out. Has been working very good for us.
irawinglesssprints.com.
Nice. Now that seems cool.

How many cars y'all usually get?

What engine most popular?
Graham08 (Offline)
  #4 4/11/16 11:30 AM
In regards to the cam drive question, it's an option from most cam suppliers to have the back of the cam drilled and tapped for the rear drive. Most engine builders are capable of doing this as well, a couple of supermodifieds I've been involved in have had to get cams drilled and tapped because they didn't originally come that way.

You don't have to run the pumps off the back of the cam, but most people do. In a sprint car, it is definitely more convenient to run the power steering pump off the back of the cam because it greatly reduces the amount of plumbing required vs. a belt drive pump on the front of the engine.
latemodel55 (Offline)
  #5 4/11/16 12:12 PM
We are a 604 crate class. We have found that by the time you out fit a 602 you are pretty close to the price of a 604. The oil pan needs to be changed on the 602. We are expecting 15-20 cars in only are second year. Hope this helps.
Aces&Eights (Offline)
  #6 4/12/16 12:51 AM
Originally Posted by latemodel55:
We are a 604 crate class. We have found that by the time you out fit a 602 you are pretty close to the price of a 604. The oil pan needs to be changed on the 602. We are expecting 15-20 cars in only are second year. Hope this helps.
Very much, Thanks.
TQ29m (Offline)
  #7 4/12/16 3:33 PM
You can also use "stack" pumps, KSE and others make them, the steering pump, and fuel pump are only about 1 1/4 thick, and can be stacked together, to keep the area open for other things, in other words, you bolt on the fuel pump, on the back side of the cam, then bolt the steering pump to that, then you have them in the same location, inside the cockpit, lotta guys run them that way. Bob

"Being old, isn't half as much fun, as getting there"! Ole Robert I!
98arpy (Offline)
  #8 4/12/16 5:11 PM
To use a 602 in a sprint car you need more than just having the cam drilled. Because the 602 is externally balanced you need a combo balancer/drive hub and a different yoke. Pace Performance in Ohio can and does drill the cam while it is in the engine. They also have developed the drive hub and a neat carb spacer/ throttle linkage plate.
They can provide a complete turn key engine which they do for the new DIRTcar Pro Sprint program.
Just call them at 888-748-4655 and ask for Don Blackshear.
jaydwolf@gmail.com (Offline)
  #9 4/13/16 4:30 PM
I drilled my own cam while it was in the engine.
https://youtu.be/WYHGgIRsmgs