IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Parking At Kokomo Spring '24
3/20/24, 10:31 AM   #1
DirtTrackTherapy16J

The City of Kokomo has finally started the construction of the sewer project that involves The Kokomo Speedway which is also one of the much needed steps in renovating the grandstand area and grandstand bleachers.

Unless we would go into drought mode immediately, I dont see this project being completed by The City of Kokomo before the Kokomo USAC Midget Grand Prix, possibly on into the BC Indiana Double, High Limit Show, and maybe beyond depending on Spring weather.

The parking area affected is the entire West side of Davis Road/track side of Davis road/Southbound lanes of Davis road. Also the entire area from the first gravel driveway running North and South, East to Davis road. This goes from the billboard all the way down to the transfer station building North of the track.

If you usually come to Kokomo you know the area I'm talking about. If you dont, go on Google maps Satellite version and it's not hard to figure out. Leave earlier then normal so you can find yourself or crew a parking spot as this sewer project is going to take away alot of parking. Hopefully this project doesn't take very long and doesn't negatively impact the track very long, if any at all.

As for the new bleachers and renovations, The O'Connor Family is very very hard working people. Maybe they will be able to somehow get them installed before Sprint Week or Smackdown or The Klash but they may not be able to happen now until the offseason as late as the new construction sewer project is getting started. I'm more then certain that all of this will be dictated by the weather and what kind of weather we have going forward.
Last edited by DirtTrackTherapy16J; 3/20/24 at 10:35 AM.

3/20/24, 12:47 PM   #2
reeserx

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtTrackTherapy16J View Post
The City of Kokomo has finally started the construction of the sewer project that involves The Kokomo Speedway which is also one of the much needed steps in renovating the grandstand area and grandstand bleachers.

Unless we would go into drought mode immediately, I dont see this project being completed by The City of Kokomo before the Kokomo USAC Midget Grand Prix, possibly on into the BC Indiana Double, High Limit Show, and maybe beyond depending on Spring weather.

The parking area affected is the entire West side of Davis Road/track side of Davis road/Southbound lanes of Davis road. Also the entire area from the first gravel driveway running North and South, East to Davis road. This goes from the billboard all the way down to the transfer station building North of the track.

If you usually come to Kokomo you know the area I'm talking about. If you dont, go on Google maps Satellite version and it's not hard to figure out. Leave earlier then normal so you can find yourself or crew a parking spot as this sewer project is going to take away alot of parking. Hopefully this project doesn't take very long and doesn't negatively impact the track very long, if any at all.

As for the new bleachers and renovations, The O'Connor Family is very very hard working people. Maybe they will be able to somehow get them installed before Sprint Week or Smackdown or The Klash but they may not be able to happen now until the offseason as late as the new construction sewer project is getting started. I'm more then certain that all of this will be dictated by the weather and what kind of weather we have going forward.
Whew, that’s going to cause some headaches. Kokomo already doesn’t have the best parking situation, hopefully the city can expedite the project.

5 members like this post: cmakin, flagboy55, Grocery Guy, Stevensville Mike, tirespinner
3/20/24, 6:43 PM   #3
Re: Parking At Kokomo Spring '24
Stevensville Mike

Thanks for the heads-up, brother!

3 members like this post: flagboy55, Grocery Guy, tirespinner
3/21/24, 11:24 AM   #4
Pancho Stapp

Hey thanks a bunch on the heads up DTT on the parking that’s gonna make things interesting. We bring my 88 year old pops and this is a bummer to hear. Welp we will just see how it plays out.

3/21/24, 1:24 PM   #5
Re: Parking At Kokomo Spring '24
Speedmax3

It's good to see that the city has realized the economic impact of the Kokomo Speedway and will make these new sewage, drainage improvements. It will certainly help the owners with the upgrades they want to make. The O'Conner's have made improvements almost every year and eventually replacing the front grandstand and some of the facilities on that side are needed. Hopefully won't take the city to long to complete the project but in the end it needs done.

4 members like this post: Grocery Guy, Ilovedirttrackracing, oppweld, tirespinner
3/21/24, 1:34 PM   #6
reeserx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedmax3 View Post
It's good to see that the city has realized the economic impact of the Kokomo Speedway and will make these new sewage, drainage improvements. It will certainly help the owners with the upgrades they want to make. The O'Conner's have made improvements almost every year and eventually replacing the front grandstand and some of the facilities on that side are needed. Hopefully won't take the city to long to complete the project but in the end it needs done.
I believe by connecting to the city systems, this will help reduce the flooding they see near the front gates when we get a hard rain

3/22/24, 7:56 AM   #7
EldoraMark

When I ordered tickets for the Smackdown I ask Jill about the grandstands. She said they have the stands but will not be putting them up for this season. They have to wait for the the city to run the lines for the flooding problem. I'm sure there will be plenty of work prior to the stands such as new bathrooms to complete.

2 members like this post: Ilovedirttrackracing, tirespinner
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Parking At Kokomo Spring '24