IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Morty.... Rest in peace...
8/25/13, 8:19 PM   #31
Re: Morty.... Rest in peace...
EldoraMark

RIP Morty, We will miss your grin and laugh. My prayers our out to your family and friends.

2 members like this post: BrentTFunk, Vukie
8/25/13, 9:35 PM   #32
racegal

Race Count This Year: 19

R.I.P. Morty! My thoughts and prayers!

8/25/13, 11:45 PM   #33
djbamber

I guess I try this take 2. I first met Morty at the Eldora Million or my first trip out for ISW. The next time we crossed paths was at the Chili Bowl. Drew was going deep into the HH beanbag tournament When Randy remembered that I was from Mass he felt that we should have a little wager for the upcoming Superbowl. Well it did end up the Patriots vs the Rams. Our wager was for a case of beer. Anyway the Patriots won, and the wager would be repaid at our next meeting, the Chili Bowl. Fast forward a year, and I eagerly awaited collecting on our wager in Tulsa. After the end of the first night at the Chili Bowl I finally met up with Morty, and company. My prize winnings consisted of the remnants of a case of beer! Morty explained that he had been looking for me all night, and as the beer got warmer he felt that consuming it was the proper thing to do, so he shared it with a few other willing participants. Morty explained to me that if he was to give me warmed over beer that I might have felt slighted, so he did what he needed to do so as not to have me feeling offend by being presented with obviously undrinkable beer! RIP Randy. We only got to cross paths a few times, but my eyes are welling up with tears thinking about your passing. RIP.

Posted via Mobile Device

5 members like this post: billwill7, BrentTFunk, interpreter66, racephoto1, Vukie
8/26/13, 12:50 AM   #34
Dooling63

Rest in peace Randy! You will be missed!
Old Joe and little Joe

Posted via Mobile Device

5 members like this post: billwill7, BrentTFunk, kruser, Midget 89, Vukie
8/26/13, 4:04 PM   #35
Andrew S. Quinn

Funeral arrangements from Debbies Facebook page:

Visitation for Randy will be at Pitchford Funeral Home Friday 1-8 p.m. Service will be at East Alton Middle School Gymnasium Saturday at 10 a.m. Thank you all for everything. I am so overwhelmed with all the kindness and outpouring of support everyone has shown. I am so honored that I was a part of his life. He was the love of my life and I'm sure gonna miss him.

6 members like this post: BrentTFunk, Jerry Shaw, Midget 89, Mud Packer, PJ Wright, Vukie
8/26/13, 5:27 PM   #36
Andrew S. Quinn

From "Dirty Driving Drews" Facebook page:

Funeral Arrangements for Randy Mortland have been set.

Visitation: Friday August 30, 1pm-8pm @ Pitchford Funeral Home - 2555 Vaughn Rd. (IL Rt. 111), Wood River Uniformed Personnel walk-thru will be at 7pm.

Funeral: Saturday, August 31, 10am @ East Alton Middle School Gymnasium (1000 3rd St., East Alton) with procession to Rose Lawn Memory Gardens in Bethalto.

3 members like this post: BrentTFunk, Jerry Shaw, Vukie
8/26/13, 6:56 PM   #37
illiNOISE

My heart sank when I saw the story of Morty's passing today in today's Alton Telegraph. RIP Morty.

8/27/13, 6:16 AM   #38
racing2bwithu2

Race Count This Year: 37
Race Count Last Year: 63

Our Thoughts and Prayers are with the family and friends. Lloyd & Gail

8/27/13, 7:20 AM   #39
slick38.5

I am not sure what year it was the first time I met Morty. I do know I was introduced to Morty by Brent Funk, most probably at Terre Haute.

Randy had to be the most personable fan/person I knew. One particular memory was during a trip I took out to Illinois by myself. Went up to Pecatonica IL.to watch some midget racing and then down to Bellville IL for some Midget racing the next night. I gave Morty a call and let him know I was heading down to Bellville that night for some midget racing, and hoped he would be able to join me. Not only did he say he'd come over to the races that night. But he also told me to swing by his house early to show me his place, along with the infamous Tracy Hines victory trophy.

When I stopped by Morty told me now that I was at his house, he might as well grill up some burgers for us. When he got ready to fire up the grill he found out he did not have any gas in the cylinder. But that did not stop him. He says "hey Hoosier you want a grand tour of East Alton". Hopped in his truck to run out and get a gas cylinder for the grill. He showed me the fire company he worked at. And one of the other dirt tracks just north of East Alton. But the funniest part was when he stops at a convenience store to get a new gas cylinder for the grill. Randy (A East Alton Fire Fighter) walks right into the store carrying the empty cylinder. And the clerk behind the counter tells him "Sir you're not allowed to bring the empty gas bottle into the store. After we walk out Randy does a face palm and says to me. "you'd figure I would know that being a fire fighter and all"

I will always cherish the memories I had when Randy "Morty" Mortand was at the races I attended.

Rest in peace Randy. you will be missed.

Bill Maurer
Last edited by slick38.5; 8/27/13 at 7:23 AM.

4 members like this post: BrentTFunk, Koonzee, monkeyboy, Vukie
8/27/13, 9:36 AM   #40
Midget 89

Nice story on Randy when he stepped down as Fire Chief in East Alton.

http://www.thetelegraph.com/news/loc...9bb30f31a.html

1 member likes this post: Vukie
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Morty.... Rest in peace...