IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Will Kyle decide (last minute) to run Tulsa now???
11/29/22, 2:29 AM   #11
Re: Will Kyle decide (last minute) to run Tulsa now???
jdull99

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrismattlin View Post
There are actually way more than enough of these "rear engine racing series out there":

Indy Lights (now known as Indy NXT),
USF Pro 2000,
USF 2000,
USF Juniors (sanctioned by USAC),
FIA FR Americas (American Formula 3),
FIA Formula 4 (America),
SCCA F1600,
SCCA F2000,
Skip Barber Formula Race Series....

and I'm sure I missed a few. I long for the day when we see a few of our dirt track open wheel heroes dip their toes in to these waters, for then we may have real hope of seeing them compete in the Indianapolis 500. Instead, these days, we see people like CBell who simply say, "IndyCar teams don't want us (USAC guys)."; and to that, I say, "What have you done to show them that they should want you?". There's not a need for someone like CBell to run a whole series, but jump in one of these cars a couple times- if you're a serious talent, then you should run right at the front.

We used to see this some, not all that long ago. Kasey Kahne ran some of these before settling on NASCAR. Chad Boat and Davey Hamilton Jr. dabbled a bit chasing their father's footsteps. Chris Windom had a couple of cups of coffee, as did Jay Drake and a few others. Today, there's almost no one doing anything like this, except Brent Crews, who although he hasn't competitively raced a formula car yet, he has raced, and won, in the TransAm series.

[Sorry for the long post and potential highjacking of this thread, but the question posed hits a nerve for me.]
Thank-you for posting all of those! (I hadn't took the time to get back on the site yet, and would have missed some of those! lol).

Don't forget the best recent driver example tho; 7-time Silver Crown champ Kody Swanson's "IRP" Indy Pro 2000 (called so at the time) win in 2020. Too bad that was about where that effort seemed to have ended; but if I ever win the lotto, I'll certainly offer him some sponsorship to further pursue a true road to Indy (I don't imagine he will hold his breath awaiting my winning ticket #s...).

Good memory on Kahne. Looks like his highlight was 7th at a Houston track in 2001...then NASCAR called...(good for him, he did have a nice career, too bad never a champ, but got an Indy win! I was there and cheered almost louder than I did when JG won the inaugural...figured what the heck, hardly anyone was there anyway...) - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2001_A...c_Championship
Steel$ & Deal$ Swap Meet & Car Shows (next location; TBD...)
Last edited by jdull99; 11/29/22 at 2:31 AM.

4 members like this post: chrismattlin, Hubie48, John P Huss, tirespinner
11/29/22, 9:01 AM   #12
Hubie48

These professional rear engine series costs are stunning. The best bet to come up "thru the ranks" is SCCA (and I have not paid attention to the SCCA in years)

Newgarten and Daly both went goKarts thru the lower bore formulas.

Jacob Wilson had one rear engine effort as well. $$$$$$$$

4 members like this post: chrismattlin, Hustlin-Hoosier, jdull99, tirespinner
11/29/22, 3:10 PM   #13
jdull99

Nice recall on that one!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jacob_...(racing_driver)

wiki - Indy Lights
"He made his Firestone Indy Lights debut in the series at the Kentucky Speedway on October 2, 2011 driving for Belardi Auto Racing. He started third, but spun on the opening lap.[6] He also raced in the season finale at Las Vegas Motor Speedway where he started tenth and finished fifth.[7] Despite only competing in two races in the 2011 Firestone Indy Lights season, he was voted Most Popular Driver."

He ended up 9th in that debut race...so two solid top 10s...and that was it...
Steel$ & Deal$ Swap Meet & Car Shows (next location; TBD...)

1 member likes this post: chrismattlin
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Will Kyle decide (last minute) to run Tulsa now???